Events & Gatherings Use this forum to discuss upcoming Mercedes-Benz events and gatherings.

Check the Forum Calendar for Event dates.

Farewell Don Mario Meet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tom whenever you want the tails tinted and corners painted, leme know my guy'll set you right up and hes like 10 mins away from rt 110
Old 04-29-2008, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 Mustang 5.0, '89 Supra Turbo, C55,
Originally Posted by turbotom1
P.s. my nickname turbotom1 "predates" the internet by a dozen years, turbos are addictive !
Way to go Tom. I find it ironic that just a few years ago (even today), some folks in the automotive world view turbos as "ricey". Toyota's been using them extensively and ultimately culminated in the I6 2JZ motor twin turbo Supra which is good for 700hp stock. Talk about an overengineered motor. The hp only goes up with mods.

There was also the venerable Grand National.

It is so cool to see that AMG uses turbos and the new BMW also uses a twin turbo setup. And from what I hear, the Germans (including the Porsche Turbo) have very little turbo lag. The latest Porsche Turbo has an "overboost" function which allows extra boost for a few seconds. (TEch. we've been using for years on our modified cars. Its called a boost controller)...

Hell, even with the Vette, Lingenfelter reverted to twins.

Great stuff!
Old 04-29-2008, 10:12 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
Tom, Joey and I were guest of AMG at the NY Autoshow one night before it opened to the public. We were talking to the amg engineers and they hinted at the Twin turbo of the motors, Basically making 2 versions of the cars offering 2 different engines.
Like the S63 and S65, Where you wil have a NA v8 and/or a v12 TT or V8 TT at a higher price point. I would love a V12 TT CLS (but im not going to pay brabus for one,LOL), but im happy with the SC that i got.

Even the BMW guys were talking of turbo's being the future of their motors lower displacement and higher boost.

The LSD always comes with the "030""p30" options of the car. About a $10,000 option with different wheels(looks like tsw bremmas), and removal of the top speed cap placed by the ecu. I was talking to chris from Auto Addiction , they did a quaife LSD in an e55 and from what he told me it was a 10 second car. Nice! The E55 has always been the ultimate sleeper IMO.

Last edited by Jocampo; 04-29-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL63
Originally Posted by gnma
Way to go Tom. I find it ironic that just a few years ago (even today), some folks in the automotive world view turbos as "ricey". Toyota's been using them extensively and ultimately culminated in the I6 2JZ motor twin turbo Supra which is good for 700hp stock. Talk about an overengineered motor. The hp only goes up with mods.

There was also the venerable Grand National.

It is so cool to see that AMG uses turbos and the new BMW also uses a twin turbo setup. And from what I hear, the Germans (including the Porsche Turbo) have very little turbo lag. The latest Porsche Turbo has an "overboost" function which allows extra boost for a few seconds. (TEch. we've been using for years on our modified cars. Its called a boost controller)...

Hell, even with the Vette, Lingenfelter reverted to twins.

Great stuff!
The trick is not to cheap out with a single turbo set up.

What I use is 30-70 passing power. Large single turbos spool slower and smaller twin turbos are more practical in daily driving situations. What is not useful is waiting for spool and than finding yourself driving too too fast !
Old 04-29-2008, 10:29 PM

06 CLS55 AMG

Gotta love the instructions.

Press Button. Receive Bacon.

Last edited by Jocampo; 04-29-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by Jocampo
Gottal love the instructions.

Guessing from the reflection, there's no more bacon left in there.

-V
Old 04-30-2008, 08:54 AM

06 CLS55 AMG
Old 04-30-2008, 09:41 AM

2007 cls 550
Hey tommy what is your xbox live name?
Old 04-30-2008, 09:50 AM

The trick is not to cheap out with a single turbo set up.

What I use is 30-70 passing power. Large single turbos spool slower and smaller twin turbos are more practical in daily driving situations. What is not useful is waiting for spool and than finding yourself driving too too fast !
Agreed. And that's where the beauty of an AMG (or any refined) motor comes into play. Quiet, emissions friendly, and monstrous hp and torque. Civilized, yet brutal at the same time. Now if only they would make a manual transmission...that would be perfect.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
SL65 AMG
Now if only they would make a manual transmission...that would be perfect.

Seriously, these are DRIVER'S cars, so why they aren't making them with manuals is beyond me. And what just boggles my mind is that on the new SL and CL they even went a step worse relocated the center console shifter to the steering column?! WTF is this, Buick?

If I could snap my fingers and make my CL a 6-speed MT, I wouldn't think twice.
-V
Old 04-30-2008, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
wow Tom, you've really done your homework on Mercedes using turbos, haven't you! If AMG would make a 6 speed manual car I would buy an AMG instead of my next car, a manual BMW M3.
Originally Posted by Jocampo
Gotta love the instructions.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
I am "The Get Lucky" on XBOX Live...
Old 05-01-2008, 03:36 PM

02 330i & 99 ML430
Originally Posted by Oxygen
I am "The Get Lucky" on XBOX Live...
hey bro, did you have time to work on the pics from thursday?
Old 05-01-2008, 09:25 PM

SL63
Castrate the CL .......

Originally Posted by Vendetta
Seriously, these are DRIVER'S cars, so why they aren't making them with manuals is beyond me. And what just boggles my mind is that on the new SL and CL they even went a step worse relocated the center console shifter to the steering column?! WTF is this, Buick?

If I could snap my fingers and make my CL a 6-speed MT, I wouldn't think twice.
-V
"Drivers cars” let’s just say in today’s world any products ported towards men are castrated and rendered gender neutral. You want to shift your own car? well my friend your about to make room for a pocket book holder instead. Each year cars with any sort of masculine heritage are killed or given a make over by those women engineers you see in the ford commercials. A perfect example is the American Corvette. Once proud with masculine lines and now soft and intentionally made more appealing towards women.

It’s laughable that every year concept cars strictly oriented towards men are displayed and they build up a buzz, (Challenger). Three years later when production starts the shift lever is on the column. Disgusting and getting worse, now they want handbag holders, tomorrow tampon/coin holders and by Sunday ???

http://autos.aol.com/article/sedan/_...05112309990002
---------------------------------------------------------
Exhibit B. Dream car .. wait and see, killed or gendered into a cross dressing btch.
http://godbet.wordpress.com/2008/02/...-benz-concept/

-----------------------------------------------------

I checked and did find the CL has moved the shift onto the column but the new 09 SL has it between the seats, check these photos:
http://www.mbusa.com/models/gallery/...delCode=SL600R

-----------------------------------------------------------
Now they are going back to a 5L ? wtf .....

"There will be several versions of the new force-fed 5.0L mill, a base version with 570hp and 665lb-ft of torque to replace the 6.2L V8 and a high-output 700hp/885lb-ft unit to replace the 612hp V12.

Other innovations include a new electrically operated direct-drive gearbox that provides faster and more efficient gearshifts than the current range of automatics"

http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/m...nt-amg-v8-v12/
Old 05-02-2008, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
Disgusting and getting worse, now they want handbag holders, tomorrow tampon/coin holders and by Sunday ???
LOL Tom!
Old 05-02-2008, 08:58 AM

SL63
Originally Posted by ctC230K
LOL Tom!
I was reading an engineering blog over at BMW and they are debating changing the new 2010 M models to include a bottle warmer-cup holder where the shifter is .. to one up the CL’s move to the column.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:19 AM

2013 S550, CLS500, ‘03 SL500, “92 190E Sportline
Once proud with masculine lines and now soft and intentionally made more appealing towards women.

Disgusting and getting worse, now they want handbag holders, tomorrow tampon/coin holders and by Sunday ???
Yeah, instead of Tele-Aid, they'll have PMS-Aid. After women push the button, the sunroof opens, and into the car fall tampons, midol, a snickers bar and a pair of sweat pants...
Old 05-03-2008, 10:37 PM

"Drivers cars” ... Disgusting and getting worse, now they want handbag holders, tomorrow tampon/coin holders and by Sunday ???
Dynamic Pulse/Heated/Ventilated/Auto-tampon removal seats......
Old 05-05-2008, 06:27 PM

SL63
Dynamic Pulse/Heated/Ventilated/Auto-tampon removal seats......

you have to love the Brit's sense of humor ...
http://my.telegraph.co.uk/ww/march_2...gned_cars_.htm