Events & Gatherings Use this forum to discuss upcoming Mercedes-Benz events and gatherings.

Check the Forum Calendar for Event dates.

DIY @ American Service center

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2011 | 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Marine Corp

07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
DIY @ American Service center

If your interested in getting some work done on your Mercedes, then this Do-It-Yourself (DIY) event is for you. :thumbup:

American Service Center
Date: Saturday, October 15th
Time: 8:00 Am - 3:00 PM
Cost: $25 per person & Car

Please note the start time and be there early.

If you are a member of the Mercedes-Benz Club of America, Greater Washington Sector, ouble_Thumbup: I would like to invite you to the event and to our Annual Meeting this Saturday's (10/15/11) at American Service Center in Arlington Virginia.

Due to the ongoing renovation of the dealership, parking on the property is at a premium! If you are not working on your car in the shop, please park at the Ballston Mall Parking Garage. ($1 charge for all day parking)

If you are bringing an extra car, or attending the MBCA|GWS Annual Meeting, please park in the Mall's garage to avoid being towed off the ASC lot. Saturday is a busy day at the dealership, as the sales dept is open and needs to have access to the limited parking.

Need some technical support? ASC technicians will be available to provide advice. Even if you are a novice, this is a great time to learn more about your car from the professionals who work on Mercedes-Benz vehicles every day. Please Note: the technicians are not there to do the work for you, but to provide the guidance you need to get the job done right.

You need to bring all the tools you will need to complete the work you plan to do as well as any consumables (e.g. oil, brake fluid, paper towels, shop rags, ...). While the ASC parts department will be open and will offer a nice discount to participants, you should call them (703-284-2420) prior to the event to make sure any parts you need will be available.

For more information, check out the website at
http://www.gws-mbca.org/events/DIY-101511.html

Last edited by Yuille36; 10-12-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-18-2011 | 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What I gathered from the power point brief from ExxonMobil Representatives was that Synthetic oil consists of chemical compounds that are artificially made (synthesized). Synthetic oils are manufactured using chemically modified petroleum components rather than whole crude oil, but can also be synthesized from other raw materials. Synthetic oils can operate in extremes temperature variants. The brief, became technical when they discussed polyalphaolefin (PAO), in a nut shell are synthetics oils that are made up of synthetics base stocks, semi-synthetic oils, and other base stocks that help semi-synthetic lubricants.

The advantages of Mobil 1 are:

- Better low and high temperature viscosity performance during temperature extremes
- Better chemical & shear stability
- Resistence to thermal breakdown, and sludge problems
- Improved fuel economy in certain engines
- Longer engine life

Both 0W-40 and 5W-40, still provide great lubrication in very cold temperature at start up, and still provide superior protection at very high temperatures. Both oils are thin enough to pass through oil passages in the engine at extreme cold. 0W-40 operates in a more wider temperature range, then 5W-40. Oils weights other then what, I just mentioned would provide very little protection in extreme cold, as the oil would gel, and not circulate through the engine, causing damage to parts.

That was my take on the whole brief.
Old 11-10-2011 | 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550, R350, GL550, ML63 AMG
Thanks, Mobil1 all the way!

Did they mention the best schedule to keep your engine running optimal? I know MB says between 10-12k miles. I still throw an extra one in on each one of mine since I perform these oil changes myself.

-Leo
Old 11-10-2011 | 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

bensitto,

That funny that you mentioned this. This was brought up at the meeting, the Mobil 1 representatives stated that changing your oil every 5-6K is throwing your money away.
They understand that oil does eventually break down over time, but MB is optimalized for that, every 10K is fine for the car. But if you wish to change your oil more often for peace of mind, who am I to stop you.