Events & Gatherings Use this forum to discuss upcoming Mercedes-Benz events and gatherings.

Check the Forum Calendar for Event dates.

Mercedes-AMG Road Trip To the U.S. AMG Academy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 10:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 S550 4MATIC
Mercedes-AMG Road Trip To the U.S. AMG Academy

This May 3 of my friends and I went on a road trip from Miami to Road Atlanta for the U.S. AMG Academy. My friend Michael has an AMG GT R as well as a RENNtech tuned AMG GT, we took both on the trip lol. I probably drove a combined 500 miles in both cars and it was an experience I'll never forget, and that was before we even got to the event. It's tough to decide what was more fun though, attending the event or driving a Green Hell Magno AMG GT R through rural Georgia with Jorge the president of the Miami Benz Club and his wife Ligella (also an AMG owner) in an AMG GT behind me, the reactions of everyone that saw the cars were a reward in itself lol. Being a Mercedes and especially AMG freak when he asked me if I'd like to be his guest at the event I did not hesitate. When we arrived early in the morning it was literally rows of AMG's as far as the eye could see, I was in heaven. After a complimentary breakfast we did the usual instructor meeting and introduction to the cars and then everyone got into their groups and went off to their driving modules. Now being a guest I was allowed to watch but could not drive the cars, which is fine as I had just driven and ridden in the mighty GT R about 1,000 miles so I wasn't complaining. But what I was able to do was sit in, start, and play with all of the AMG vehicles on display, as well as drive my friend's GT R around the perimeter roads to get pictures and videos, definitely the nicest "golf cart" I've ever driven lol. I kept running into groups of new E63S's driving around and they were probably wondering why one of the GT R's were driving around the outside of the track haha. So what seemed like a perfect day turned into something totally unexpected, towards the middle of the day they brought out the new AMG GT 63 S Saloon and the new G63 AMG, while everyone was out doing their driving modules I pretty much had a private unveiling of these Euro-spec models, they were the only ones in the U.S. and were going back to Germany a few days later. They let me sit in, start, and play with all of the features of the new vehicles, I was a kid in a candy store. Then at the end of the day they did "taxi rides" around the track. Road Atlanta is one of the most formidable road courses in the world, so I had to experience it. They gave us our helmets and had us walk to the hot pits where a line of AMG GT R's were waiting for us. I was directed to get into a matte silver GT R driven by 7x PWC winner and IMSA Lamborghini Super Trofeo driver Shea Holbrook, she was one of the many pro racing drivers Mercedes-AMG has at their events, to get the most out of the cars as well as give the best training possible to the attendees. Not only did she very calmly narrate and give a tour of the racetrack but she did it while driving the GT R to its limits and while also trying to rip my face off, it was the ride of a lifetime that's for sure. After the event was over we went back to the hotel and reminisced about the epic day we had. The next day before we headed home we took the beasts from Affalterbach and found some awesome mountain roads to drive on, it was a perfect ending to a perfect road trip.

Below are just some of the photos I took on the trip, they are all iPhone but I also took photos with my DSLR.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Nice! Sounds like you had an awesome time.

I got to go around Laguna Seca in an E63S with a pro driver at one of the Private Lounge events. So much fun.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 S550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Strigoi
Nice! Sounds like you had an awesome time.

I got to go around Laguna Seca in an E63S with a pro driver at one of the Private Lounge events. So much fun.

Yes it was an amazing time!!
Old 08-07-2018, 11:36 AM
Banned

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2016 C300W4 Sport
Awesome that you got to go to this! Wish I knew people like you do.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clara max
Ohh wow, it seems like you had enjoyed a lot, and the weather is also awesome, cars are so lovely, and for friends and family we enjoy these kinds of the trip very well, I also go on on trip sometimes with my family and sometimes with my friend and we enjoyed a lot, these trips help us to relief from stress and anxiety, I mostly got coupons from any destination from Roadtrippers coupons, because these coupons help us to save amount.

Last edited by clara max; 03-10-2021 at 11:11 PM.