Events & Gatherings Use this forum to discuss upcoming Mercedes-Benz events and gatherings.

Check the Forum Calendar for Event dates.

TracQuest Events coming up (CA Track Days)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Founder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ones too fast according to CHP!
TracQuest Events coming up (CA Track Days)

Guys, this is from a good friend of mine, thought you woudl like to see it:

----

To: TracQuest West Coast Email Distribution List

Happy New Year! The response to my last email inquiring about interest in TracQuest events at Laguna Seca and Willow Springs in January was positive enough that I went ahead and booked them, so both are a go! As I mentioned last time, major reconstruction at Laguna Seca in 2005 has eliminated 42 rental days, which means 42 less track rental days for groups like TracQuest. If you're interested in running at Laguna, this is a golden opportunity. Details about both events appear below, after the 2005 schedule and an explanation of TracQuest's new no-frills option.

2005 TRACQUEST SCHEDULE

TracQuest has 6 events scheduled on the West Coast in 2005, as follows:

Laguna Seca - Monday-Tuesday, January 17-18 (Martin Luther King Day)
Willow Springs - Monday, January 24 (joint event with Speed Gallery)
Buttonwillow - Saturday-Sunday, April 16-17
Thunderhill - Sunday-Monday, August 14-15
Willow Springs - Saturday-Sunday, September 3-4 (Labor Day weekend)
Infineon Raceway (Sears Point) - November 14-15

For those of you who would like to run some of the great tracks on the East Coast, TracQuest has 5 events scheduled there in 2005, as follows:

Watkins Glen - Monday-Tuesday, May 16-17
Mid-Ohio - Monday-Tuesday, May 30-31 (Memorial Day)
VIR - Monday-Tuesday, July 4-5 (July 4th holiday)
Watkins Glen - Saturday-Sunday, October 29-30
Barber Motorsports Park - Saturday-Sunday, November 26-27 (Thanksgiving weekend)

At Mid-Ohio, fully race-prepped cars are available for rental at a very reasonable cost. If enough people are interested, similar rental cars may also be available for Watkins Glen, VIR and/or Barber. Also, I'm working on getting a second Mid-Ohio date in early October.

You can see the entire 2005 schedule on the TracQuest web site, where registration is available for the January Laguna Seca and Willow Springs events.

NEW NO-FRILLS OPTION AT TRACQUEST EVENTS

TracQuest now has a no-frills package available for advanced drivers (at least 5 track events) who only care about getting track time and who aren't interested in instruction or gourmet food. The deal is no instruction and no food - neither lunch nor banquet. Drivers will be slotted into the appropriate run group, either Instructor/Fast or Medium (Fast or Medium at Laguna). The cost will be significantly lower, the actual price depending on the event. For info regarding this package at Laguna Seca, see the Laguna Seca discussion below. Because Willow Springs in January is a one day event with no banquet, there isn't a no-frills package available for this event.

LAGUNA SECA - MONDAY-TUESDAY, JANUARY 17-18 (MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY)

As noted above, TracQuest was very fortunate to get to do a Laguna Seca event this year. Better yet, especially in light of all of the rain we've had over the last 2 weeks, the weather forecast looks incredible - no rain for the next 10 days, with next Monday and Tuesday predicted to be beautiful and sunny, highs in the low 60's.

Lodging headquarters will be the fabulous Portola Plaza Hotel (formerly known as the DoubleTree Hotel), where we have always stayed for Laguna Seca events, right next to Fisherman’s Wharf, at 2 Portola Plaza, Monterey, CA 93940. The phone number is (831) 649-4511. When you call for reservations, you MUST say you’re with the TracQuest event at Laguna Seca in order to get the discounted TracQuest group room rate of $129 per night. The TracQuest room block technically expired on January 9, but hopefully rooms are still available at the group rate. For people wishing to vacation in the Monterey/Carmel area, this low group rate will be available for the two nights after the primary event nights as long as the hotel is less than 70% occupied at the time the reservation is made. If available, rooms for the two nights prior to the event (over the weekend) will be at the prevailing rate, which should be around $179 per night.

There are 4 run groups scheduled as usual at Laguna, but with as low as participation is looking at the moment, I'll likely contract the event to 3 run groups (the normal 3 TracQuest groups), as I did in 2004. The sound limitation is once again 92 db, as high as it gets at Laguna for DE events. You can sign up for either or both days. The price for the event is $750/$425 two days/one day and the no-frills price is $550/300 two days/one day. Additionally, if you want to sign up at the normal price but don't want to attend the banquet, I'll deduct the banquet cost, which is $65. Starting with Buttonwillow in April, the banquet at West Coast event will be an optional cost and the price of the event will be lowered accordingly, as has been the case at East Coast events.

WILLOW SPRINGS - MONDAY, JANUARY 24

I'm excited that this is a joint event with a top-notch after market shop called Speed Gallery in Studio City, owned and run by Dan Aspesi, who used to work at By Design. The event will be run by me as a TracQuest event, although the format will be a bit different because it's only one day and will be smaller. Registration is limited to 40 paid participants and about 20 instructors. There will be only 2 run groups - Instructor/Fast and "the other" run group, which includes novices and drivers with less experience. As always, full instruction will be available in the "other" group for those who need it. The cost of the event, including a hot lunch, is $275. With only two run groups and the ability to run from 8:00 to 5:00 p.m. with only 1/2 hour of down time for lunch, everyone will receive over 4 hours of track time, more than most people can handle.

As mentioned above, since this is a one day event with no banquet, there isn't a no-frills package available. There is also no lodging headquarters, since I and most others from the L.A. area will drive up on Monday morning and go home that evening. However, if you're coming from a distance and need to stay somewhere overnight, I suggest the Inn of Lancaster, which I normally use as lodging headquarters for Willow Springs events. They won't know anything about this event, but their rates are very reasonable. The phone number is (661) 945-8771.

HOW TO REGISTER

You can read the event write-ups on the TracQuest web site (www.tracquest.com) for details about the events, then bring up an entry form at the bottom of the appropriate write-up to register. Please be sure to read the event write-up carefully, as it contains many important details about the event. Remember that you have to be a member of the web site (it's free) before you can register for an event. If you want the no-frills package or want to deduct the cost of the banquet at Laguna, don't pay on-line, but rather choose the "Print out this entry form and mail or fax it to TracQuest with your credit card info or check." and fax it to me. Make sure you handwrite on the entry form exactly what you want to do, so I can manually charge you the proper amount.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me by return email, at the TracQuest number (310-798-2004) or on my cell phone (310-200-5928) if I'm not here. Either way, I look forward to seeing you at one or more TracQuest events in 2005.

Todd Serota
tserota@tracquest.com (TracQuest high speed driver education)
www.tracquest.com (TracQuest web site)