Notices
Extended Warranty Discussions Discuss options and plans for extended warranty coverage.

Newbie warranty question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S600
Newbie warranty question.

Hello all,

Just bought an 07 S600 with 88k miles and was told by one of the leading repair warranty companies that thy would not cover the S600. I assume because of the TT V12.

Is there any company that offers coverage for my S600?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2018, 05:33 AM

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
2019 Audi Q8, 2015 GL63, & 2005 E500W4
Your best bet is to search on your own and request quotes. Given the car's 'advanced' age, I imagine that you would be limited to 'powertrain' policies instead of exclusionary policies. Unfortunately, I am starting to question the validity of any extended warranties not backed by the manufacturer. These are really 'vehicle service contracts' and they often seem to amount to vehicle no service contracts. I am very worried about submitting a claim on my 2011 R350 BlueTEC. The timing chain appears to be stretched. I am outside of the waiting period by more than a month and well over the required 1,000 miles. However, I recently read a review of my provider that said that they denied his claim for a stretched timing chain because it had not 'failed.' Would it be better to destroy the engine than replace the stretched chain? My powertrain warranty is $4100 and the timing chain and tensioner replacement are roughly $2200. I feel like I am going to get screwed.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S600
Originally Posted by Yoni94
Your best bet is to search on your own and request quotes. Given the car's 'advanced' age, I imagine that you would be limited to 'powertrain' policies instead of exclusionary policies. Unfortunately, I am starting to question the validity of any extended warranties not backed by the manufacturer. These are really 'vehicle service contracts' and they often seem to amount to vehicle no service contracts. I am very worried about submitting a claim on my 2011 R350 BlueTEC. The timing chain appears to be stretched. I am outside of the waiting period by more than a month and well over the required 1,000 miles. However, I recently read a review of my provider that said that they denied his claim for a stretched timing chain because it had not 'failed.' Would it be better to destroy the engine than replace the stretched chain? My powertrain warranty is $4100 and the timing chain and tensioner replacement are roughly $2200. I feel like I am going to get screwed.
Wow, thanks. I was about to arrive at that conclusion. I appreciate your response and good luck to you!
Old 05-31-2018, 12:05 PM

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
2019 Audi Q8, 2015 GL63, & 2005 E500W4
In my experience, late model and out of warranty Mercedes-Benzes that are driven regularly typically require $1-3k in repairs and maintenance annually, with some milestones being more expensive than others. Fortunately, with a 2007, you are starting to enter an era when parts seem to become less expensive. Now that it is an S600 means that it is more complicated than other S-Classes, but it still shares the vast majority of parts with different trims. My W211 (2005 E500 4MATIC) has become remarkably less expensive to maintain and repair over the last few years. Other owners of vehicles about that age and older seem to report the same phenomenon. I might consider just setting aside funds on a regular basis to a savings or investment account dedicated to major repairs for the vehicle. I wish I had done that with my 2011, but these diesel issues have caught nearly everyone with them off-guard. Mercedes diesels of another era were bulletproof. I wish you the best of luck and much joy with your fantastic vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
Krecko (03-06-2019)