Notices
Extended Warranty Discussions Discuss options and plans for extended warranty coverage.

Extended CPO Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E400 Coupe
Extended CPO Warranty

Hi All, This week I am buying a 2016 e400 Coupe with 33k miles from a non MB dealer, still under factory warranty. The car was a lease return to an AZ dealer who sold as a CPO car to the 2nd owner who only owner for 5 months. That 2nd owner sold to the non MB dealer I am buying from. I have talked to 3 of our trusted MB finance mgrs about an extended warranty and have mixed answers. 1 says can do a 2 year extended CPO warranty and the other 2 are not able to saying they can’t transfer the remaining CPO warranty to me.
any advice or thoughts? This is concerning. Thank you!
Old 06-28-2019, 12:03 AM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
This is not the gospel, but I do know that if you buy a Mercedes from a non-dealer which has no warranty, you cannot go to a Mercedes dealer and buy a Mercedes warranty. The question is , do CPO warranties go with the car or with the person who bought the CPO car. I don't know., but since it is under a Mercedes warranty , I think your are good.

First if the AZ dealer was a Mercedes Dealer and CPOed your car, that adds and additional year to the length of the orginal warranty ( from date it was put into service) with no mileage limit. Which means 5 years of warranty. You can then get additional coverage from a Mercedes ELW warranty not a CPO.

I purchased a 2015 ML in Feb 2016 from a Mercedes dealer who CPO it. The car was sold in 2015, so the standard warranty was 4 years 50,000 miles, which would make it expire in 2019. Since it was CPO car by the dealer , it added an additional year and unlimited mileage. my car now warranty expires in 2020 . It currently has 60,000 miles and is still under warranty until 2020.

I can still add a ELW warranty to the 2020 date I have called around about this and have gotten prices if I want to extend it past 2020.

Check around on this site for ELW warranties. Dealer have different prices for the same product. I know there is Jefff in Kentucky who is competitive on this , but do a search.

Good luck.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,495 Likes on 1,168 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Get the VIN and check with the other vendors in the forum. Based on the description it sounds like you can't do what you want. It already had a CPO so when that got traded into a dealer, it expires. So you can't add the 2 extra years of CPO. If it had the original factory warranty in theory you're supposed to be able to go up to 7/100k for an ELW but maybe because it was CPO at one point it might mean you can't do it. Again check with the vendors and have them run the VIN and see if it's eligible or not.

CPO and ELW are two different warranties. CPO is unlimited miles, ELW has a max of 7/100k. I think there are a few other differences such as ELW being refundable if not used. But if the car has 1 year of CPO, you can get 2 extra years of CPO, not ELW.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E400 Coupe
OP here, thanks for the replies, I will share info when deal is done.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mosselman 190E 16V+ C63S+ Abarth 595
Originally Posted by Bluemartinifan
Hi All, This week I am buying a 2016 e400 Coupe with 33k miles from a non MB dealer, still under factory warranty. The car was a lease return to an AZ dealer who sold as a CPO car to the 2nd owner who only owner for 5 months. That 2nd owner sold to the non MB dealer I am buying from. I have talked to 3 of our trusted MB finance mgrs about an extended warranty and have mixed answers. 1 says can do a 2 year extended CPO warranty and the other 2 are not able to saying they can’t transfer the remaining CPO warranty to me.
any advice or thoughts? This is concerning. Thank you!
A CPO warranty is only valid if bought at a Mercedes dealership. It is only logical as the Mercedes dealership it had that CPO inspection would have no clue to the cars current status and how could they? A CPO is only available when inspected right there and then. They must meet all of the CPO requirements if it has always been Merc dealer serviced properly, clean car fax, all original glass, and sure more im forgetting. To use my CPO C63S I just recently purchased for example; the car after qualifying received new brake pads all around, new tweaters, all new tires, matte silver armrest trim piece replaced for having a tiny nick most likely while PO was buckling, steering wheel buttons & lock/unlock button replaced just due to fingernail wear which no place bought a Mercedes dealer would go to such lengths.
As for your question about extending an existing factory Mercedes warranty before it runs out; yes it can be extended. It is rarely worth it and with the car being an E400 I would 100% pass. The extended warranty price would only ever save you repair cost money if it was a lemon and had continuous serious issues, but if there is warranty left over you will know whether it is a lemon or not beforehand.