Notices
Extended Warranty Discussions Discuss options and plans for extended warranty coverage.

Apparently Not Eligible for ELW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLS450
Apparently Not Eligible for ELW

Hi all,

I just joined this forum and look forward to learning as much as I can about my new (new to me) MBZ acquisition. I just purchased a 2017 GLS450 and it is currently under factory warranty. I called some of the ELW contacts mentioned on this site for purchasing an ELW and they all said my car is not eligible once I provided the VIN. The car has a clean carfax and I am the third owner. Any ideas why it wouldn't be covered for ELW? The car has 48k miles on it and it is 2017.

I may consider going with a third party warranty but would like to know who has the best exclusionary warranty out there for MBZ's.

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:13 PM

Received 183 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
If I understand it correctly, in order for a car to be ELW eligible, the car must still be under original factory warranty (as yours is, I believe), AND must have always been within the Mercedes "family." What that means, per my service advisor, is that the car can never have been owned by any dealer outside the MB network. If, for example, it was originally sold by a MB dealer to owner 1, then owner 1 trades it to a BMW dealer, it is outside the "family," even if it may have then been purchased by owner 2 and then traded to MB dealer, it is no longer ELW eligible.

I could be completely wrong, but that is how I understand it so far. . .
Old 02-17-2020, 06:46 PM

GLS450
I appreciate it. This is interesting. This may be the case if true since my car is still under factory warranty. Can anyone else confirm?
Old 02-19-2020, 05:20 PM

GLE350
However, it sometimes work if you immediately take the ELW as soon as you buy . I bought it from Lexus dealership, single previous owner who traded in for Lexus. Lucky I was still eligible for ELW
Originally Posted by MBZKING
I appreciate it. This is interesting. This may be the case if true since my car is still under factory warranty. Can anyone else confirm?
Old 09-04-2020, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I wanted to give some advice if others are in the same position. Any manufacturer will verify prior to purchase if the vehicle warranty is able to be extended. Years ago I bought a lemon Jaguar (lol I know) and I was able to get the extended factory warranty and actually purchased it prior to owning the car! I had a deposit so I wasn't worried. But I would not have bought it without the Extended warranty for obvious reasons. I was able to sell the car with 6 months remaining to the next owner with a cheap transfer fee. Well worth it.

best of luck,
Erik