Notices
Extended Warranty Discussions Discuss options and plans for extended warranty coverage.

Any difference? Original Warranty vs CPO warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLS 450
Any difference? Original Warranty vs CPO warranty

Hi All,

I am a newbie here, so please bear with me. I am in process of buying a CPO GLS. The couple of options that I have are: a. 2017 GLS with 43K miles, and b. 2017 GLS with 52K miles. The first one still has about 5 months of original factory warranty, but also is about 5,000 dollars more expensive. The second car has no original warranty left on it. Both cars have generally similar packages / options, apart from minor differences. Irrespective of which car I buy -- I am planning to get extended CPO warranty for 2 more years. (So total 3 years CPO warranty).

My question is -- is there any benefit to buying a car which is still under original warranty? Does the original warranty cover some things that are not covered by CPO warranty. Just in case I find something wrong with the car after I purchase it. Based on solely this info, which car would you suggest?

Any other thoughts? I appreciate all your responses / feedback.

Best Regards!
Old 05-24-2022, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,649 Likes on 1,218 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by cahaba
Hi All,

I am a newbie here, so please bear with me. I am in process of buying a CPO GLS. The couple of options that I have are: a. 2017 GLS with 43K miles, and b. 2017 GLS with 52K miles. The first one still has about 5 months of original factory warranty, but also is about 5,000 dollars more expensive. The second car has no original warranty left on it. Both cars have generally similar packages / options, apart from minor differences. Irrespective of which car I buy -- I am planning to get extended CPO warranty for 2 more years. (So total 3 years CPO warranty).

My question is -- is there any benefit to buying a car which is still under original warranty? Does the original warranty cover some things that are not covered by CPO warranty. Just in case I find something wrong with the car after I purchase it. Based on solely this info, which car would you suggest?

Any other thoughts? I appreciate all your responses / feedback.

Best Regards!
I don't believe the CPO covers as much as the original warranty.
Nevertheless, the original warranty is a nice feature, so you can give it a shake down for the warranty expires.

What did you end up doing?