Notices
Extended Warranty Discussions Discuss options and plans for extended warranty coverage.

REAR SUBFRAME EXTENDED WARRANTY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350 2013, C300 2020
Thumbs up Letter from dealer

Originally Posted by edeleonmb
Wanted to reach out to you and let you know that the rear subframe has been added with an extended warranty from the factory. Standard warranty was 4yr / 50,000 miles and has been extended to 20 years / unlimited miles.

You can possibly be reimbursed for this repair you paid for yourself. You should receive a notification in the mail from MBUSA on this. Once you do see your local dealer on how and if they can process a credit for this now covered repair.

Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC (MBUSA) has extended the warranty for the rear subframe on the vehicles listed below, from the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty of 4 years/50,000 miles to 20 years/unlimited miles, and applies to the vehicle regardless of ownership.

This warranty extension applies to the replacement of the rear subframe under the standard warranty terms and conditions in the event the subframe experiences corrosion with perforation (holes). The extended warranty is applicable to the following vehicles:

Thank you for this post, I just had my subframe replaced on a 2013 C350, in Canada (> 5000 $), no mention of this being under warranty (dealer did the work). Can anyone post a copy of the letter MB send to owners in the USA for extended warranty? I'm building my case to fight them here to get reimbursed.
Thanks
Old 04-20-2023, 05:37 PM

Mercedes Benz E350
Red face REAR SUBFRAME EXTENDED WARRANTY - reimbursement?

Hi everyone. Well, this is just dandy news about the rear subframe being under warranty. I have not received any notification from MB. Is someone able to send that to me?

I had mine replaced by a local mechanic back in December, costing me $3,000. Since then I've been hearing slamming noise when shifting into Drive and sometimes when the gears change while driving. I took it back to my mechanic and he told me that I needed the rear carrier assy replaced at the tune of another $2,000. So I decided to shop around to MB dealers to get pricing....to find out that the sub assy would have been covered under warranty.

Has anyone gotten reimbursed for this repair that wasn't done by a MB dealer? Man, I hope so.

I will now be taking it to MB for them to review because they think the slamming new is related to the rear subframe issue....so possibly covered under warranty too.

My biggest issue is finding out if I can submit a claim for the first repair. Can anyone help and send me a picture of their notification? THANKS EVERYONE...this is a great site!
Old 04-21-2023, 07:17 AM

Mercedes Benz E350
Originally Posted by Vaux57
Back in 2020, MB told me my 2012 C300 rear subframe was rusted and needed to be replaced. It would not pass inspection. I am the original owner with 75K miles. Dealer quoted me $3K to replace. Dealer would not give me a break with repair cost. They told me to call MB Customer Assist. MB Customer Assist also said this was outside warranty and would do nothing. Offered $200 off on a future MB car purchase. Not exactly a friendly bunch. I was able to find a local repair shop that worked on MB's and they quoted me a $1,400 repair. Also, the Local MB dealer did not have any parts in stock at that time in 2020. Had the local repair shop replace the rear subframe and all has been good since then.
Received the letter from MB about the extended warranty. Any thoughts as to whether MB will reimburse me anything? I am not optimistic.
I am in the same boat, got the repair done in January by a non-MB dealer. Have you started the process yet to get reimbursed? I never received the letter though
Old 04-24-2023, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got my reimbursement check today. I had an independant shop install a used subframe from socal four years ago. MB reimbursed every penny. Never thought they would pay the whole bill
Old 04-24-2023, 05:29 PM

Mercedes Benz E350
THAT IS GREAT! Would you mind sharing where I have to submit the claim? That would be wonderful.
Old 04-26-2023, 08:32 PM

2015 BMW M3, 2013 Mercedes C350
Some advice needed here, guys. I am going through this nonsense now or my father in law is. He has a 2011 C300 that I formerly owned from 77K-96K. Car had about 108-109K on it when the rear subframe cracked in mid January 2023, about 3 weeks before the recall was issued. My father in law owns an auto repair business and ordered an aftermarket rear subframe for $810 total and then took 7 hours at $150/hr. to install it. Total invoice was right around $1,800 out door. I spoke to the dealer who requested I bring them the car to verify the repair and provide the invoice, which I did. I also provided proof of payment for the part per their request. They said I would be fine. A few days later, they called back and stated since there is no paperwork to prove the 1K labor cost through a credit card transaction or check, they will not reimburse it most likely. I explained I'm not sure how my father in law proves he paid himself since a lot of that business still deals in cash, but the new subframe did not install itself. It's a huge job as everyone knows. I was told to contact corporate customer care since it's a unique case. I spoke to them twice. They stated it was up to the dealer to figure it out. Much back and forth later, I found out that the dealer merely gathers the info. and submits it to a warranty claims department who decides on reimbursement. The dealer explained this entity will not deal with customers directly and only with the dealers. It is ultimately the warranty claims department's decision on reimbursements. The dealer gave me the option to submit the paperwork as is with no proof of the labor payment. My interpretation is the following outcomes:

1.They write the check for total on invoice and move on. I doubt we are that lucky.
2. They write the check for the part only. This seems likely.
3. They reimburse nothing because not OEM subframe and also no bank transaction of labor. I would really hope not.

This has already taken several hours of phone calls and a trip to the dealer to get to this point. Mercedes knew this was an issue for a long time, and I wonder how many people paid for repairs at independent shops in cash or whatever else. Thoughts on next steps? Submit as is and cross fingers?
Old 04-28-2023, 05:26 PM

C350 2013, C300 2020
Copy of letter

Originally Posted by AGS1972
Received my letter in the mail. Two months after I unloaded my 2011 C300 at auction which was a year after I parked it due to a rotted subframe with a detached link arm.
Too little too late.
Do you still have your letter? Can you give me a copy (mask your name if you want). I'm looking for anything that will help me fight MB Canada that has not extended the warranty
Thanks
Old 05-05-2023, 12:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 C250 Sport Coupe, '10 GLK350 4Matic, '90 BMW 325i Cabriolet
I got this letter as well but curious if this happens in non rust belt areas as well? I'm in California with a C250 where rust is not normally a problem at all unless you live right next to the ocean...
Old 05-05-2023, 07:05 AM

C350 2013, C300 2020
Subframe recall

Originally Posted by magendim
I got this letter as well but curious if this happens in non rust belt areas as well? I'm in California with a C250 where rust is not normally a problem at all unless you live right next to the ocean...
do you still have the letter? Can I get a copy? Blot out your name and address if you prefer
Thanks
Old 05-15-2023, 05:54 PM

2011 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Bletino
do you still have the letter? Can I get a copy? Blot out your name and address if you prefer
Thanks
If you had the work done at a Mercedes dealer, they'll have all the records & will get you your refund. I didn't get a letter & just found out about the warranty extension this weekend when I went on this site. I called the dealer & within an hour they got back to me & are using my records to send to Mercedes for my refund.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:02 PM

C350 2013, C300 2020
Originally Posted by Albany,n.y.
If you had the work done at a Mercedes dealer, they'll have all the records & will get you your refund. I didn't get a letter & just found out about the warranty extension this weekend when I went on this site. I called the dealer & within an hour they got back to me & are using my records to send to Mercedes for my refund.
No extended warranty in Canada, i'm trying to build a case for court If needed, hence any letter anyone received would be useful
Old 05-15-2023, 06:24 PM

2011 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Bletino
No extended warranty in Canada, i'm trying to build a case for court If needed, hence any letter anyone received would be useful
I found it:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MC-10233796-0001.pdf (386.4 KB, 488 views)

Last edited by Albany,n.y.; 06-08-2023 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:29 PM

GLK 350
Repair is covered, but should you do brake lines too?

My 2010 GLK 350 has gone from being somewhat reliable to a major liability. I brought it to the dealer/service for the airbag recall in March. They replaced the airbags and also gave me a report of all the repairs that "will require further attention" (code yellow- not red). The suggested repairs totaled $11,870! Among other things they recommended the rusted brake lines ($2,472) and the rusted rear subframe ($3,789) I decided to hold off as none seemed extremely critical, however a month later the connector on the rear subframe broke off and the left trackbar was left dangling. The right side is close to breaking. I visited my regular mechanic who thought maybe it could be welded but didn't seem too eager, then did some online research where I discovered the whole subframe warranty issue. I called back the MB service center (a Penske operation) and they told me it was actually covered but the next appointment was in October. So I brought it to a MB dealer/service (Penske) in a nearby town who said they could do it sooner. I mentioned the brakes and they said this was the perfect time to do the brake lines since you need to remove the rear subframe to do the job. They can replace the subframe for free but quoted me $3,600 to do the brakes. That's over $1,000 more than the other guys. So here is my question: Do you really need to remove the rear subframe to do the brakes or are they lying? I don't like dealing with the dealers because I feel like I'm getting screwed, but I can't take the car to a different place for every repair. So, let the dealer do the brakes and subframe at the same time or bring it to the other place for the brakes after the subframe is repaired? Thanks for reading this long text and for the help.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:56 PM

2011 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by davesmb
My 2010 GLK 350 has gone from being somewhat reliable to a major liability. I brought it to the dealer/service for the airbag recall in March. They replaced the airbags and also gave me a report of all the repairs that "will require further attention" (code yellow- not red). The suggested repairs totaled $11,870! Among other things they recommended the rusted brake lines ($2,472) and the rusted rear subframe ($3,789) I decided to hold off as none seemed extremely critical, however a month later the connector on the rear subframe broke off and the left trackbar was left dangling. The right side is close to breaking. I visited my regular mechanic who thought maybe it could be welded but didn't seem too eager, then did some online research where I discovered the whole subframe warranty issue. I called back the MB service center (a Penske operation) and they told me it was actually covered but the next appointment was in October. So I brought it to a MB dealer/service (Penske) in a nearby town who said they could do it sooner. I mentioned the brakes and they said this was the perfect time to do the brake lines since you need to remove the rear subframe to do the job. They can replace the subframe for free but quoted me $3,600 to do the brakes. That's over $1,000 more than the other guys. So here is my question: Do you really need to remove the rear subframe to do the brakes or are they lying? I don't like dealing with the dealers because I feel like I'm getting screwed, but I can't take the car to a different place for every repair. So, let the dealer do the brakes and subframe at the same time or bring it to the other place for the brakes after the subframe is repaired? Thanks for reading this long text and for the help.
Is there a hole or holes in the subframe now? The way I read the warranty, there has to be "corrosion with perforation (holes)' before the warranty kicks in. Rust without perforation might not be good enough.

I usually go to the dealer. When I went for my annual maintenance & state inspection they showed me the subframe damage & brake lines corrosion. They recommended I do them together as the cost would be less than doing them separately. I could have postponed the brake lines, but I decided to do them. It's a lot easier for the mechanic to do them together. After sales tax the two items costs were $3,805 for the subframe which includes a wheel alignment and $1,924 for the brake lines for a total of $5,729 for both. I'll only be getting reimbursed for the subframe, but if I had done the job separately, the brake lines would have cost more. The repairs were done in 8 days at the end of December & the beginning of January-completed 1/4/23. I would think that the dealer has a better shot at getting the parts sooner and you're guaranteed that the subframe will be done free of charge. There are times that your best option is the dealer
Old 05-15-2023, 07:09 PM

GLK 350
Thanks Albany. My gut tells me it makes much more sense to have the dealer do the subframe and brakes at the same time, but my brain feels like the $3,600 for brakes is too much! Still, I really just want it done as I have no other car so probably will just bite the bullet. Oh, and the subframe has more than holes- it completely broke (see pic)
Old 05-15-2023, 07:20 PM

2011 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by davesmb
Thanks Albany. My gut tells me it makes much more sense to have the dealer do the subframe and brakes at the same time, but my brain feels like the $3,600 for brakes is too much! Still, I really just want it done as I have no other car so probably will just bite the bullet. Oh, and the subframe has more than holes- it completely broke (see pic)
From what you wrote, the dealer quoted you $2,472 for the brakes, it was the out of town Penske shop that quoted $3,600. I was quoted over $1,150 more than when they calculated the savings by doing them together, so the final brake cost may be less than the $2,472.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:59 PM

2008 C300
Thanks for the info. I have a 2008 C300 and the rear subframe was falling apart so I got it replaced in January this year by a local repair shop that had much lower labor rates. They used a new OEM subframe and $1000 for the labor with a total of $2700. I recently got the letter and submitted my claim thru a dealer over 2 weeks ago. How long does it take to process the claim? Does a delay in processing indicate that they may not pay since I did not get it done by a dealer.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:49 PM
Banned

240 2002
In another post about the subframe got the extended warranty on the subframe. The last Friday (one week ago) drop the car to replace the subframe at the dealer shop. I buy the part on eBay before the appointment day. The gentleman says will not use my part because must install an OEM part to validate the extended warranty, then I answer: then do it as must be done. The same day they send me a video that diagnose the car with a bunch of parts that supposedly need to be replaced or fixed (like the rear springs being broken), but nobody call me or say me anything else.
Three days later I went to the dealer shop and they give me back the subframe that I buy previously and talk about the advance in the fixing process. The mechanic says will need to install new springs but I must pay only the part price, and the installation will be free. Then I agree. I perfectly know is not needed, but if you think twice, is better to replace them when they drop the part than have some issues with this later. the price: 250.00

Will update this post as this advances.

Now if somebody around Iowa needs the new rear subframe I will sell it for $300.00
Old 05-18-2023, 09:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 E Class 350 4matic
Originally Posted by Sheiklic
In another post about the subframe got the extended warranty on the subframe. The last Friday (one week ago) drop the car to replace the subframe at the dealer shop. I buy the part on eBay before the appointment day. The gentleman says will not use my part because must install an OEM part to validate the extended warranty, then I answer: then do it as must be done. The same day they send me a video that diagnose the car with a bunch of parts that supposedly need to be replaced or fixed (like the rear springs being broken), but nobody call me or say me anything else.
Three days later I went to the dealer shop and they give me back the subframe that I buy previously and talk about the advance in the fixing process. The mechanic says will need to install new springs but I must pay only the part price, and the installation will be free. Then I agree. I perfectly know is not needed, but if you think twice, is better to replace them when they drop the part than have some issues with this later. the price: 250.00

Will update this post as this advances.

Now if somebody around Iowa needs the new rear subframe I will sell it for $300.00
My Mercedes dealer told me the same thing. The springs needed to be replaced. I paid around $275 or so. I thought it was weird, but my car does drive a lot better.
Old 06-17-2023, 01:06 AM

2013 C300 4matic
C

Originally Posted by magendim
I just took my C300 to the dealer yesterday. I’m in Calif. I brought in photos of the rear subframe, they kind of acted shocked and made comments about my car being from back east. Once I pulled out a copy of the “warranty information”, then they agreed to fix the problem. I didn’t get a loaner car.
Mercedes is aware of the problem with these cars, so please take your vehicle in asap!
Old 08-17-2023, 10:45 AM

Mercedes C350
Not a car guy at all - however, I just noticed that the paint of my Mercedes is beginning to bubble in the rear of my car. Could this be a sign of large corrosion from the subframe?

I will take my car to the dealer anyway to get checked, just curious as to how urgently I would need to make the appointment.
Old 08-18-2023, 10:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS 53
@Bletino and other Canucks - now includes Canada. Got letter the other day for 2013 C350 I used to own.
Old 08-19-2023, 07:12 AM

c300 gls450
Reimbursement for non MB repair

We discovered the sub-frame issue in January, and had it repaired by our mechanic. When the extended warranty came out, we submitted it to the local dealer but we’re told the claim was denied. Has anyone had any luck getting reimbursed for non MB repair. We don’t know how to appeal or pursue this further. The dealer said it’s MB corporate, and when we call corporate they say it’s a dealer decision. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-02-2023, 06:49 PM

C 300 4Matic
VIN Number Verification due Rear Subframe Repair

Dear all, Good evening!

I own a C300 2014 4MATIC, which after stopping at the mechanic for a routine overhaul we found that the crossmember (rear subframe) is broken due to corrosion. I found here in the forum the document of the extended warranty issued by mercedes USA, which from what I read, should cover the entire repair. However, I need to check the VIN number of my car on the NETSTAR website. Can someone help me with this check/ as I don't have access to this site.

Best Regards,
Old 10-02-2023, 08:06 PM

2011 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by PauloC300
Dear all, Good evening!

I own a C300 2014 4MATIC, which after stopping at the mechanic for a routine overhaul we found that the crossmember (rear subframe) is broken due to corrosion. I found here in the forum the document of the extended warranty issued by mercedes USA, which from what I read, should cover the entire repair. However, I need to check the VIN number of my car on the NETSTAR website. Can someone help me with this check/ as I don't have access to this site.

Best Regards,
Call or go to the nearest Mercedes dealer & have them do the the checking on your VIN. Then go from there when they can get the part & fit you in for a repair. According to the letter shown above, your car is covered. PS: If you get the OK from the dealer, you may want to tow it instead of driving it there since driving with a broken subframe is dangerous. If you experience a significant delay you may want to acquire alternate transportation until your car is ready. .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: REAR SUBFRAME EXTENDED WARRANTY