Notices
Extended Warranty Discussions Discuss options and plans for extended warranty coverage.

Just about to buy a CPO; how to extend 2 years?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 08:57 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 SL450
Just about to buy a CPO; how to extend 2 years?

Greetings all. I'm about to buy a 2018 SL450 CPO from a MB dealer. The dealer tells me several things that I need to test here: 1) Until the very last day of my 12 month CPO coverage, I can buy a Mercedes 2-year extension of my warranty; 2) however I will have to requalify my vehicle as "certifiable" at the time I buy the further extension; 3) that dealer will sell me the CPO 2-year extension right now for a mere $4900 (list price), plus 10% sales tax (which seems bogus to me, as the tax is based on the dealer's location and I live out of state, in a state that taxes goods but not services).

My questions are, first, whether points 1 and 2 above are true? If I wait until near the end of my 12-month CPO warranty to buy the extension, what might make my vehicle not qualify?

Second, are there dealers who sell the 2-year extension below list price and, if so, who are they?

Many thanks. This is my first experience with a Mercedes CPO so please excuse my ignorance.

Last edited by MarylandGLK250B; 01-23-2024 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 E 300 4Matic Prem 2
That sounds really high and you have until the end of the 1 year CPO warranty to purchase the 2 yr. CPO ELW and you don't have to have your car re-qualified as far as I know, plus there should be no tax if extended warranty is purchased out of state. I just purchased earlier this month and was initially offered the extended warranty for $3400 (which I discovered was $400 above MSRP) but checked around and got a few prices and ended up purchasing with Jeff Jackson at Mercedes of Louisville for an extended 2 year CPO warranty for $2290 for my E class. Try to get a few prices, you can browse the thread near the top of this forum to get some names to contact for price comparisons and you have to ask for the best price as they don't just offer it up. Jeff Jackson is one of the most popular and his number is 833-617-7699 and email jjackson@mblouisville.com and mention that you were directed to him from the MBWorld message board.
Old 01-24-2024, 05:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 SL450
Originally Posted by KeithOnBoard
That sounds really high and you have until the end of the 1 year CPO warranty to purchase the 2 yr. CPO ELW and you don't have to have your car re-qualified as far as I know, plus there should be no tax if extended warranty is purchased out of state. I just purchased earlier this month and was initially offered the extended warranty for $3400 (which I discovered was $400 above MSRP) but checked around and got a few prices and ended up purchasing with Jeff Jackson at Mercedes of Louisville for an extended 2 year CPO warranty for $2290 for my E class. Try to get a few prices, you can browse the thread near the top of this forum to get some names to contact for price comparisons and you have to ask for the best price as they don't just offer it up. Jeff Jackson is one of the most popular and his number is 833-617-7699 and email jjackson@mblouisville.com and mention that you were directed to him from the MBWorld message board.
Thanks! Got in touch with him. $4210 for two years for the 2018 SL. Saved about $700.
The following users liked this post:
KeithOnBoard (01-24-2024)