Notices
Extended Warranty Discussions Discuss options and plans for extended warranty coverage.

Help! Extended Warranty vs CPO For Lease BuyOut

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300
Help! Extended Warranty vs CPO For Lease BuyOut

Hello everyone,

New to forum. My lease on my 2020 GLC 300 is about to end and I’m going to buy out the lease. Im still under the original warranty, so I have the option to get the extended warranty. A few questions (in important of order)

1. What is the main difference between the Extended Warranty and the Certified Pre-Owned Warranty. If I buy the car directly from MB (not a dealer) are both options? Pros cons to each in terms of coverage?

2. If I buy the MB extended warranty, is there a deductible for any covered items? Where can I find what is / is not covered?

3. If I paid for the sales tax at the time of the original lease, why must I pay for the sale tax again at the buy out?

4. Any tips to get the $150 lease distortion fee waived?

5. Is the prepaid maintenance package worth it? Car has ~35k miles and is 4 years old. Think I’ll keep it for ~3 more years. Is the prepaid maintenance worth it? Does that come with access to loaner cars from gen dealership, etc?

6. anything else I should think about / tips as I’m going through this buyout process?

I’m a rookie - thanks for patience with these simplistic questions from a novice!
Old 05-02-2024, 07:20 PM
SPONSOR

Received 251 Likes on 193 Posts
2001 E55AMG
1. Extended Warranty is only available if you are the original owner (exactly the same as factory warranty coverage), CPO is extended warranty coverage available to anyone on a Mercedes-Benz while still under factory warranty.

2. I don't believe there is.

3. The leasing company charged you the sales tax... they own the car. So purchasing the car from them, you're essentially purchasing it yourself for the first time.

4. Tell them you're already paying double tax?

5. Access to a loaner is not exclusive to only those with a maintenance package, more so based on availability. You're able to schedule a maintenance appointment at the dealership with a loaner car upon scheduling.

6. How much money do they want to for the 3 years extended warranty coverage?
Old 05-02-2024, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300
Thank you. I am the original lease holder, so I believe I am eligible for the extended warranty.

what is the difference in coverage between an ELW and the CPO warranty? I’ve heard what’s included in the coverage differs between the two.
Old 05-03-2024, 11:29 AM
SPONSOR

Received 251 Likes on 193 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by AllisonPond
Thank you. I am the original lease holder, so I believe I am eligible for the extended warranty.

what is the difference in coverage between an ELW and the CPO warranty? I’ve heard what’s included in the coverage differs between the two.
Yes sounds correct, and the ELW is an inclusionary warranty, so the lowest of coverage tiers. ELW is for vehicles out of factory warranty completely.