Notices

Amazing Mercedes Pre-Purchase Inspection Technician!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 12:57 AM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
Thumbs up Amazing Mercedes Pre-Purchase Inspection Technician!

There was a car I wanted to get a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) on, and apparently MB of Pompano Beach doesn't do PPIs (I've run into dealerships in the past that also refuse; likely a liability thing). But thankfully, MB Coconut Creek does.

My appointment was with Service Advisor Kristopher K. Kristopher was super cool, and understood exactly what I after when I told him I don't want someone telling me only obvious stuff like a turn signal bulb is out, or tire tread/brake pad thickness; I want someone to take a deep dive into the car, and be my eyes and ears, since the car wasn't local to me. In fact, I didn't ask for a PPI; I asked for a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) Inspection which is MUCH more detailed and involved than a PPI, as the car has to meet high stringent standards to be eligible for CPO status. In fact, they have to inspect pretty much every single function on the car to ensure its working, as a part of a CPO Inspection. A checklist of the CPO Inspection Process can be found here: CPO Inspection Checklist. Chris assured me he understood exactly what I was looking for, and told me "There's a specific tech I want to take a look at it." And that's exactly what I wanted to hear.

The tech that inspected the car was Carmen. And let me tell you, Carmen went above and beyond. He uploaded twenty four short videos of his inspection process, literally going over every inch of the car, interior, exterior, underside, and mechanical. Its probably the most comprehensive and detail-oriented inspection I've ever had done. Needless to say, I got my money's worth, and then some...and the inspection wasn't cheap at all.

So if you wanna check out an MB in the Pompano Beach/North Ft. Lauderdale/Boca Raton area, or you want your MB serviced with someone who's very meticulous and detail oriented, I'd HIGHLY recommend you book with Service Advisor Kristopher K, and ask for Carmen as your technician. You won't be disappointed!
Old Today, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 639 Likes on 474 Posts
MB
How much did they charge for the CPO PPI?
Old Today, 02:04 AM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
I believe the normal charge is $450 for a CPO Inspection. Mine clearly wasn't going to qualify, so he didn't have to finish the CPO Ppwk, so I think he cut me a break, and only charged $400 (after tax = $420).

Sounds like a lot of money, but it saved me from picking up a car that likely woulda needed well over $10K in attention. A no-brainer for me.

PPIs are usually only 1 hr of labor, so somewhere between $150 - $250, depending on labor rates in your region.

Last edited by FDNewbie; Today at 02:05 AM.