G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

test drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300D
test drive

I test drove an 06 G500 this evening.
I'm very impressed with the build quality. The seats were comfortable--did not know how they would hold out for my frequent 700 mile drives--and luxurios enough. There were some rattles coming from the rear (interior)--could not pinpoint. Possibly, the noise came from the seat belt mounts or tonneau cover mounts, or as per prior posts, tire carrier cover.

Power. I own 2 400HP cars as a disclaimer. But off the line and merging on the freeway ramp this truck was really slow. For my interstate travels, I guess it should be sufficient.

Wind noise was surprisingly present. I did not expect that in this price range.

Handling. I have owned 2 recirculating ball steering type SUVs. MB did a great job in making it almost rack and pinion in feel. At least, it is close enough.

Mileage. Cannot comment due to short/brief experience.

Price. The dealer wanted 59k for this 10k mile truck. I have seen better pricing in other states.

G500 owners please advise.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:09 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
Why not pick up an '05 G55 instead? You'll get plenty of power and the handling is a bit better though the ride is not as smooth.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:44 PM

300D
Thx jimmy. I posted it here looking for responses from g500 owners.
I did not forsee a g55 owner recommending a g55

I think a g55 has more parts to break and possibly more costly to insure.
Of course, it is also about 10-15g more in the used car market.

I still deciding between LX470 and g500 but leaning towards the G after back to back road tests.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:43 PM

07 G500
06 G500

Originally Posted by japon
Thx jimmy. I posted it here looking for responses from g500 owners.
I did not forsee a g55 owner recommending a g55

I think a g55 has more parts to break and possibly more costly to insure.
Of course, it is also about 10-15g more in the used car market.

I still deciding between LX470 and g500 but leaning towards the G after back to back road tests.

I have been driving an 07 G500 as a daily driver. My drive to work is only 15 min local commute. I live in the midwest where it snows and sleet at times. G500 is a good all around truck for me. I don't see much G's here in the midwest. It has a unique presence. At the work parking garage, there are a number of 911's, RR superchargers, M5 etc but only ONE G wagon.
If you are considering a G, I would recommend an 07 G. My wife and I have always wanted a G wagon but waited until the 2007 model. I am 6'3" and my shoe size is 13. When i test drove a G in 2004, my foot caught the "ledge" on top of the brake and accelerator levers as I was moving my foot to brake. I opted not to purchase the truck because of this. The "ledge" is absent on the 07 ( I am not sure when they got rid of this ledge). It sticks out right on the top of the brake and the accelerator levers and IMHO poses a safety hazard.
2007 has a 7 speed tranny and a new NAV apparatus. You might want to test drive the 2007 before you make your decision.
That being said, if I have to choose ONE vehicle as a daily driver, I would rather drive a M5, E55 or an 911 as a daily driver if the snow and sleet are not of concern where I live. If your commute is a long, I wouldn't recommend a G.(ever try driving a house on the highway?) It is interesting that you are considering a LX as an alternative. I purchased the G originally for my wife in April. She drove it for one month and gave it to me. She didn't like the ride quality nor the handling. She is waiting for the new LX to arrive. If you are looking for a comfy ride with the latest gadgets, get the LX.
But if you are looking for a truck with
1. unique driving stance
2. tank-like feel
3. feels like you can drive it across anything
4. very few siblings on the road (except in L.A.)
5. everlasting style. It looks AWESOME.
get the G.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:13 AM

300D
Thx Kim. I really like reason #5
I will now consider 07 or even better wait for 08 which is a few months away.

Thx too for your input on LX. I agree, even though they're on the same class, LX is different tamer animal. Now LX is a rack and pinion steering yet the feel is the same as G500's recirc ball.

I drove another 06 G500 in the other side of town this week and yes the wind noise on the freeway is reproduced. Does your 07 have wind noise issues?

Not worried about its boxy design because it is a classic, timeless design.

I did not encounter pedal issues. I'm about 5'10 but have big feet --size 11.5. Perhaps I was easy on the gas.

I have not seen 07 updates in person, only on internet. I really like what they did on the console stack and steering wheel. I remember some posts junking the new steering wheel but to each his own.

I have to ask G500 owners too about maintenance and repairs. In your ownership, do you have any frustrations about this? Aside from window electricals and phone issues, I have not seen posts about mechanical probs.

Thx again.

Enjoy your ride

Last edited by japon; 08-18-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:30 PM

07 G500
Originally Posted by japon
Thx Kim. I really like reason #5
I will now consider 07 or even better wait for 08 which is a few months away.

Thx too for your input on LX. I agree, even though they're on the same class, LX is different tamer animal. Now LX is a rack and pinion steering yet the feel is the same as G500's recirc ball.

I drove another 06 G500 in the other side of town this week and yes the wind noise on the freeway is reproduced. Does your 07 have wind noise issues?

Not worried about its boxy design because it is a classic, timeless design.

I did not encounter pedal issues. I'm about 5'10 but have big feet --size 11.5. Perhaps I was easy on the gas.

I have not seen 07 updates in person, only on internet. I really like what they did on the console stack and steering wheel. I remember some posts junking the new steering wheel but to each his own.

I have to ask G500 owners too about maintenance and repairs. In your ownership, do you have any frustrations about this? Aside from window electricals and phone issues, I have not seen posts about mechanical probs.

Thx again.

Enjoy your ride
The problem with the boxy design will become evident when you are doing the 700 mile trips that you mentioned.
I have experienced rear license plate light going dead a couple of times but they have resolved the problem (knock on wood). Otherwise, no problems to date.

I have learned to deal of the wind noise with the following. When I am driving, I have the music on loud or when I am traveling with my 2 year-old daughter, barney is blaring in the background. They tend to drown the wind noise.

Last edited by kimf70; 08-19-2007 at 09:41 PM.