G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

My 07 G500 has not been reliable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 S550 4matic palladium silver, '12 CLS550 Iridium Silver
My 07 G500 has not been reliable

I bought it pre-owned. While driving it home from the dealer, both license plate lights went out. When I got it home, the passenger door would not shut properly, you had to really slam it. First time we drove it on the highway at 50 or higher the steering wheel shook violently. It was supposed to be pre-owned, so I didn't bother to check for all this stuff.
So the hardest thing to fix was the lights. That took 3 trips to the dealer. First they just did the bulbs, then a new light assembly, then they had to redesign the assembly to fix it. I think the leads were shorting out, or the bulbs were pressed against the housing causing them to overheat.
The shaky steering was fixed with a new steering wheel shock absorber and an alignment. The door they fixed by re-aligning it.
So first time I go to use the back door, I realize it is not locking properly. I locked it manually and it started working ok. But then a couple weeks later we realized it was not locking at all. So the entire rear door lock assembly had to be replaced.
So we get that done, and then a week later the rear window washer stops working. It says it has fluid. So we fill it up anyway and use the washer and fluid drains all over the ground under the back of the car. So the dealer fixed that too, it had a cracked rear window washer reservoir.

After all of these problems with our certified car, most of which we noticed within 24 hours of purchasing, we complained. Their response was to offer to buy the car back from us, AT TRADE IN VALUE, and SELL US A NEW CAR AND MAKE MORE MONEY OFF OF US. We said screw that. So they re-certified it and did the B service for free.

The dealership we went to is American Service Center in Virginia. They offered us a great price and the buying experience was excellent, but whoever "Certified" the car should be fired and they tried to ignore our complaints and trivialize the problems we experienced.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GLE 63S / GL 420 CDI / C250 Diesel 4 MATIC
Thanks for charing.
I bought a 05 Grand Edition G500 with 25,000 miles back in July and so far so good. Not a single problem and runs like new. I hope it continuous like that.
I wich you better luck for the future with your beautifull machine.