G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Good deal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 BMW 540i 6-speed; 1997 Porsche 911 cabriolet
Good deal?

I'm very new to the world of M-B. I've been a bmw and porsche owner for sometime. However, I now find myself wanting an SUV. I'm not really a fan of the ever too common x5.

I currently debating between a Cayenne and a G-wagon. I know they are totally different vehicles. Below is a link to a G500 in my area. Can I get everyone's thoughts on this truck? What should I beware of? How is this truck going to compare to a new model?

Thanks
Trey

http://www.malonesauto.com/carinfo.php?stocknum=5311
Old 07-09-2009, 01:21 AM

2013 G 63 AMG
The G500 never had a Bose sound system. These days, like all other Benzes, they have harmon/kardon Logic7 systems. I had a 2002 G500 when I lived in the US, and it was super reliable, but others had problems with theirs. The general consensus is that a 2003 or newer is a better bet, or if the service history is clean on this one then use that fact as a way to negotiate the price down.

As far as what's changed in newer models...well...other than the look, a lot. New engine, gearbox, brakes, electronics, interior, etc. Quite an extensive list, and even more changes are coming in the 2010 model. The good thing is that the 2002 is still quite luxurious and comfortable, very very capable off-road, and if well maintained will easily run for another 10-15 years or more.

It's hard to compare to a Cayenne, they are totally different vehicles. Drive them and see which one you like more.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:41 PM

Yugos only
Thoughts

I would get the VIN and go to a MBUSA dealer and have them run the maintenance/service report on the G500. If there are any outstanding "bulletins" make sure that those are either corrected by the selling dealer or get the price from the MB dealer and have the seller knock that off the price.

I would also make sure they do a complete transmission service/flush that includes the torque converter if that has not been done yet. The TC in the 2002 is a sealed unit so fluid has to be run through the system under pressure until it comes out clean. Many Chrysler and Ford dealers have this setup. Very few MBUSA dealers invested in such a flushing system since the TC is called "lifetime" by MBUSA. Also have them replace the magnet in the tranny. All the differentials should be inspected. Read the owner's manual and take the vehicle offroad to make sure that the locking differentials function properly, they lock and unlock according to instructions. Please just don't mash buttons!

The biggest changes came in 2004 and now in the present year models. However, it is unclear if the 7 speed transmission is up to the G550 - time will tell.

Remember that the Cayenne is a souped up VW Tourag which has a terrible reliability rating. I don't even think you can buy an extended warranty for a Tourag-RangeRover-Cayenne, but I maybe mistaken.

The biggest problem you will have with a G is the doors, windows, fiber optics, CD changer, and the Comand system. Don't put an audio CD in the indash player - use only the navigation Cds. Audio Cds sometimes get stuck. Make sure that any warranty you get covers all these areas.

If you are going offroad - at all -the G500 is the right choice. If you drive off road or on dusty roads be prepared to GENTLY POWERWASH THE UNDERCARRIAGE OF THE VEHICLE REGULARLY, GOOD ADVICE FOR ANY VEHICLE.

It is an Austrian military vehicle and should last a long time with proper maintenance. It is also less likely, I think, to attract those who covet than the Porsche.

Final point- since the G500 radically understeers, you need to learn to drive it so that you take advantage of the AWD system. And keep the tire pressures as it says on the door sticker. The car demands good tires.

These tips are what I do - remember what you do is your responsibility.

I would offer $22k on the G500 if they include the extended warranty and have the bulletin issue cleaned up.

Last edited by ivanj; 07-20-2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: clarification