G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

07 - G500 "Stuck In Park"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
14' C300, '07 G500 & '02 C240
Exclamation 07 - G500 "Stuck In Park"

Hey Everyone,

I'm having an issue with my 07' G500. This morning I get up to drive the car. The car starts and everything, I just can't move it from park to drive because the shifter won't shift. Its stuck really hard. I press the brakes in effort to see if that would make a difference but it is stuck. I've been reading a long in the forums to see what the cause of the issue is and apparently it has to do with a switch or a small plastic part that may have broke? Its funny though because the car hasn't been driven at all this past weekend and the only thing unusual that occured last night was a huge rainstorm that brought heavy rains and wind but I doubt that could cause anything to the happen to the shifter. Any thoughts and ideas on how I could at least get the car to drive manually so I can bring it to the dealer? I believe it is still under warranty. Thanks In Advance!
Old 09-20-2010, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Vlad-II
Hey Everyone,

I'm having an issue with my 07' G500. This morning I get up to drive the car. The car starts and everything, I just can't move it from park to drive because the shifter won't shift. Its stuck really hard. I press the brakes in effort to see if that would make a difference but it is stuck. I've been reading a long in the forums to see what the cause of the issue is and apparently it has to do with a switch or a small plastic part that may have broke? Its funny though because the car hasn't been driven at all this past weekend and the only thing unusual that occured last night was a huge rainstorm that brought heavy rains and wind but I doubt that could cause anything to the happen to the shifter. Any thoughts and ideas on how I could at least get the car to drive manually so I can bring it to the dealer? I believe it is still under warranty. Thanks In Advance!
This happened to my sl500. Apparently there is a way to free it by smacking it with a hammer or something? Try searching the r230 forums for shifter stuck in park and you will find a thread or two detailing what to do. My car was out of warranty when it happened. So I just took the shifter out of the car myself and removed the plastic piece all-together in fear of the common $2,000+ repair bill. The only thing is that the shifter can be moved out of park without the brake being depressed. If your car is still under warranty call roadside assistance and they should do it for free?
Old 09-27-2010, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB 2001 G500
It happen to me. The job is a pain. I had to dismantle the center console and things to take out the shifter, dissasamble it, grease it and back again. I did fix it, but unless you have tools, time and patience do it, if not and is in warranty, call MB is their mess. Going to try to put some photos curtesy of another MB owner that send them to me when I had the problem
Attached Thumbnails 07 - G500 "Stuck In Park"-1999-g500-floor-shifter-01.jpg   07 - G500 "Stuck In Park"-1999-g500-floor-shifter-02.jpg   07 - G500 "Stuck In Park"-1999-g500-floor-shifter-03.jpg