G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Toying with the idea of a G - expensive to own?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few
Toying with the idea of a G - expensive to own?

I'm thinking about picking up an 05/06 G500 to use as a third car/SUV/long trip tool. While I don't need the AWD, my better half loves the way it looks, and she won't look at the ML/GL/Cayenne/X5/Q7. My previous Mercedes, an 04 CL55, was absolutely horrible with reliability and cost to own. On average, the CL was at the dealership once very 6 weeks, and the repairs would've been enormously expensive if the car wasn't under the extended Mercedes factory warranty. So, needless to say, when the warranty was over, so was my ownership of the car.

Since the G was similar in price when new, I'm curious as to whether it would be just as expensive to own - except this time, I won't have the benefit of the extended Starmark warranty. I understand that the suspension bits of the G is a lot more traditional (springs instead of ABC) than the ones used in the CL, so it should be cheaper to maintain if any issues arise. What about everything else? I've also read, thanks to MBW, that a lot of the electronic components are used are shared with the pre 2000 C-Class...which suggests that it may be relatively cheaper to replace?

Thanks for the advice, guys .
Old 06-06-2011, 02:58 AM
PCH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 G55, Challenge Stradale, 997.1 GT3, E63 Wagon
Hi Zack, If you do as search there's quite a lot of information on common issues and reliability of the G. Also, you can purchase an extended warranty from your MB dealer or directly from a provider.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few
Thanks bud - just realized I've been searching for the wrong term...been using "maintenance reliability" and didn't come across much, which sparked me to create this thread. "Common issues" would've been better, thanks!