G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Illuminated Door Sills

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes g500, 300d
Illuminated Door Sills

I know, I know, by now I am sure most of you are sick of this one but one, i just got my 2002 g500 and two I still need help to figure this out. So first off the dealership said to fix it that it would cost 2400+ american dollars to fix. Not only should that be illegal I cant see myself paying it, I would rather they dont work. I figure either they were going to do the whole wiring and new sills or just the sills cost that much. So I am wondering where do I start??? are the sills themselves bad? is the wiring bad? is a fuse bad? or is the inverter bad? I have taken them out and cleaned them and plugged them back in but that is where it has ended for me. Any help would be more than greatful.. I should start a new thread but also in the 2002 that I have I am looking for a good way to hook up the Iphone/Ipod... sorry again for the topic probably most asked.

Last edited by scottmp123; 06-29-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E63 Black on Black
Originally Posted by scottmp123
I know, I know, by now I am sure most of you are sick of this one but one, i just got my 2002 g500 and two I still need help to figure this out. So first off the dealership said to fix it that it would cost 2400+ american dollars to fix. Not only should that be illegal I cant see myself paying it, I would rather they dont work. I figure either they were going to do the whole wiring and new sills or just the sills cost that much. So I am wondering where do I start??? are the sills themselves bad? is the wiring bad? is a fuse bad? or is the inverter bad? I have taken them out and cleaned them and plugged them back in but that is where it has ended for me. Any help would be more than greatful.. I should start a new thread but also in the 2002 that I have I am looking for a good way to hook up the Iphone/Ipod... sorry again for the topic probably most asked.
check the fuse first with a tester I bought one for like 5$ and if the fuse doesnt work then replace if it works than start checking the wires and shouldn't be 2000$ door sills them self are around 1000 and installation shouldnt be hard since you were able to take out the previous sills and learned the install
Old 06-30-2011, 06:53 PM

mercedes g500, 300d
Thanks I am hoping it will be something small like the fuse but if not I may have more questions I also posted one pointed three and benzworld so I should figure this thing out. thanks
Old 07-31-2011, 05:54 AM
Banned

iii
Dont try to figure it out on you own, let the proffecionals do it for you... MBRedux has a "REPUTABLE" nissan shop, ask him he will help you..
Old 02-23-2016, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 G55 AMG
Fixing your illuminated door sills and dome lamp issues is an EASY repair! As usual, the most difficult part is determining what's actually malfunctioning. The interior lighting in a G is more complicated than you might realize, so let me step you through it ('02-'08 at least):

1) You need to realize that the dome light (front) and rear dome lights only illuminate with the door open if it's dark outside and the overhead switches are in the correct position (read your owner's manual).

2) If your associated dome lamps, associated courtesy lamps (below the door), AND illuminated door sill are not illuminating when it's dark out, then your door latch microswitch is malfunctioning. This switch is clipped inside your door latch, and chances are a little PB blaster will rectify the situation. If not, it's a $35 part on any wholesale website. Replacing the switch involves removing the door panel and being patient.

3) If the associated dome lamp and courtesy lamp ARE working but your illuminated door sill is not working (common), then the problem is your door sill inverter, part number 463 820 15 26. It's currently $157 on most wholesale websites. I've replaced 3 of these this year alone on my 11 year old G55.

Now that you've diagnosed the problem, here's how to fix it:
1) If your door latch microswitch is inoperative, then try removing the upper screw that holds the door latch in place (the one physically screwed to the door itself) and spray some electrical cleaner and PB blaster into the latch mechanism using the red straw that comes with the cleaner. This has never failed to clear a gummed up microswitch for me, and it's part of my standard annual maintenance. I've never personally needed to remove a door panel to fix this switch.

2) If your door sill inverter is not working, then you'll need part number 463 820 15 26. The front inverters take about 5 minutes to replace because they're located behind the carpet/plastic sheet in the associated front foot kick panel. These inverters are wrapped in beige foam to reduce rattling. This repair is very, very easy. The rear door sill inverters are located underneath the front seatbelt reel inside the B pillar. This pillar pops off easily and provides enough access to replace the switch without any serious disassembly. I've always removed the front seatbelt retaining bolt on the B pillar to get more access. The rears take me about 15 minutes to replace.

Pretty much any shade-tree mechanic could replace all of these inverters and microswitches inside of 2 hours. I hope this helps.

Last edited by bryanrex; 02-23-2016 at 09:56 PM.