G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Dealer replaced seat bottom with lower quality leather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 S550 4matic palladium silver, '12 CLS550 Iridium Silver
Dealer replaced seat bottom with lower quality leather

The driver's seat heater died on my 07 g500, so they ran the diagnostics and found the code for a wiring fault in the seat bottom heater. They ordered a new seat bottom and installed it, but the leather is of much lower quality. It's the same color, and it inflates properly with the air bladder and heats up now, but it is not the soft nappa type leather that I had in the car. It feels more like vinyl.

Did the leather quality change in the newer G550's, or is there some reason why I shouldn't be able to get the same type of leather I had? I'm waiting for the SA to get back to me to find out what they can do. Right now the car looks silly because the seat bottom is a different texture from the back and from the rest of the seats in the car. It also transitions from leather to a fabric as it wraps forward towards the front of the car and goes underneath the seat, whereas my original seat was full leather all the way around.

I know that a new seat bottom will show slightly different shades and will feel slightly different since it is new, but it's a totally different type of material and it feels like cheap vinyl. It does not belong in one of mercedes higher end models. The MB-tex in my other merc feels of better quality. I feel like the car is devalued now. Anyone who might want to buy it will likely notice that the leather does not match. It's only 4 years old, they should be able to find an exact replacement I would think.

Any opinions? I'm pretty ticked off and I don't think I'm being unreasonable.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
I would complain to MBUSA directly. Call their customer service hotline (phone number is on MBUSA's website). I don't think the dealer would replace the seat cushion with a different material, but dealers are crazy, so you never know. The newer G550's do have the same style seats found on the new E class, so that could be your problem...so yes, the seat design and feel did change. I would call the dealer and also ask for the part number and then look it up on EPC to see if it matches your year model... good luck
Old 07-09-2011, 02:43 AM
PCH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 G55, Challenge Stradale, 997.1 GT3, E63 Wagon
After 4 years your original leather seat cushion has deterioration due to normal wear and UV rays. Certainly appreciate your frustration however, IMO expecting MB to supply an exact match would be a bit unrealistic. Although the new leather appears to be of a lessor quality more likely what you're noticing is only new leather that hasn't faded or stretched.

The drivers seat which is the only Multicontour seat in the vehicle is designed and covered differently, (fabric vs. leather at front of seat cushion) then the passenger seat as a result of the moveable seat cushion. Also incorporated into the seat is inflatable air cushions built into the seat backrest for additional lumbar and side support. If you look closely you'll also notice the driver and passenger seats both have fabric on the lower, outside seat cushion.

amaycg; Introduced for the MY09 the G550 and G55 received newly designed, multi-contouring, perforated and ventilated front seats. The newer style seat/cushion has absolutely no resemblance to the earlier seat and highly doubt it could have gone unnoticed by the dealer or in the OP's description.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by amaycg
I would complain to MBUSA directly. Call their customer service hotline (phone number is on MBUSA's website). I don't think the dealer would replace the seat cushion with a different material, but dealers are crazy, so you never know. The newer G550's do have the same style seats found on the new E class, so that could be your problem...so yes, the seat design and feel did change. I would call the dealer and also ask for the part number and then look it up on EPC to see if it matches your year model... good luck
Good idea, thanks I will do that.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by PCH
After 4 years your original leather seat cushion has deterioration due to normal wear and UV rays. Certainly appreciate your frustration however, IMO expecting MB to supply an exact match would be a bit unrealistic. Although the new leather appears to be of a lessor quality more likely what you're noticing is only new leather that hasn't faded or stretched.

The drivers seat which is the only Multicontour seat in the vehicle is designed and covered differently, (fabric vs. leather at front of seat cushion) then the passenger seat as a result of the moveable seat cushion. Also incorporated into the seat is inflatable air cushions built into the seat backrest for additional lumbar and side support. If you look closely you'll also notice the driver and passenger seats both have fabric on the lower, outside seat cushion.

amaycg; Introduced for the MY09 the G550 and G55 received newly designed, multi-contouring, perforated and ventilated front seats. The newer style seat/cushion has absolutely no resemblance to the earlier seat and highly doubt it could have gone unnoticed by the dealer or in the OP's description.
It's not that it hasn't faded or stretched, it feels like vinyl, not nappa leather. My car is parked in a garage, the seats are protected monthly with leather conditioner with UV blockers and when it is parked outside when I am away from home, a big visor goes in the front windshield to keep the sun off of it. It's not really a color issue anyway. It's the same color, just a different material. The other seats feel like a good quality lambskin leather jacket, while the replacement material feels like fake leather. It's not even as soft as MBtex. It feels like a raincoat. Oh well, I'm taking it over there tomorrow to see what the SA says. He wants to see for himself.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:17 PM
PCH

Get back to us with their findings.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
Originally Posted by PCH
After 4 years your original leather seat cushion has deterioration due to normal wear and UV rays.
After almost 11 yrs and 76,000 miles mine has not deteriorated in the least. I wonder if the bean counters dictated a change in quality since mine was built.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:46 PM

E500
my 2002 black leather is like brand new as well- soft as a baby's bottom with no cracks or deformation.. best seats i have ever seen in a car IMO-
Old 07-31-2011, 05:50 AM
Banned

iii
I dont think its better than MBRedux car upholstry...
Old 07-31-2011, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
they prob ordered wrong part number . figured its same color and you wouldnt notice since its warrenty work . dont let them give u that bs though .
Old 07-31-2011, 09:00 PM
PCH

Originally Posted by DUTCH
After almost 11 yrs and 76,000 miles mine has not deteriorated in the least.
One would say that until you had a new one side by side to compare. Personally I've never encountered a natural fiber, (treated or not) that doesn't show some sign of wear and or discoloration over time.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:37 PM

The service advisor agreed it looked like a different leather, but the service manager chalked it up to sun and usage, even though the car is garaged all day and rarely driven. The part #'s are correct. I think it's just a different cut of leather and since it's natural, it looks different. Guess I have to live with it. My headrest broke the other day on the driver's seat... won't go up or down. So now I guess I will be getting a new seat back to go with the new seat bottom.

Thanks for all of the comments. Much appreciated!