G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

G-Wagen PR stunt fails

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 CL65, 2011 G55, '97 LandCruiser 80 (E Europe)
G-Wagen PR stunt fails

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...e-outback.html

http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/gene...e-outback.html

Attempted to cross the Australian outback. All but one vehicle was disabled by shock failures. One AC failure and spare wheel mounts snapped on half.

For more than $100k, there is no excuse for such cheap shocks. I love my truck but hope this isn't a sign of things to come as I will be hitting some trails and treating it like a truck. On the Australian 4x4 sites many locals say that the showroom Land Cruiser 200-Series would not have had such problems.

I realize the G is enough for 99% of people and most off road situations, it would just be nice to know the limits couldn't be breached this easily as the "feeling of indestructibility" is one of the main reasons to own this vehicle. Hopefully MB take note and upgrade the shocks, if not it would be wise to add HD aftermarket items and relocate the spare before hitting the trails (and of course, the exhausts are prone on the AMGs but custom sliders will address).

edit- apparently MB are looking into shock upgrades

Last edited by ramzank; 09-19-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
You did notice that the non-civilian version didn't have any trouble, didn't you?

If the Land Cruiser would not have any problems, why is it that the factory has never tried that run?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by DUTCH
You did notice that the non-civilian version didn't have any trouble, didn't you?

If the Land Cruiser would not have any problems, why is it that the factory has never tried that run?
Yes, I did, but what is the relevance of it since nobody can buy it?

As regards the LC200, I do not know why the factory hasn't done it. Probably for the same reason that Land Rover and Mitsubishi haven't either - they are already established and proven in the outback and see no reason for such a stunt.

You seem to think I am disparaging the G-Wagen. I am not. I love mine and as I said above it is still a very tough and capable vehicle. However, if a washboard road (that's all it is) can disable every one of the production vehicles then clearly there is a manufacturing defect that needs addressing. That MB are reportedly upgrading the shocks shows they agree (hopefully they do the same to the spare mount), while my use of the term "pr stunt fails" is simply what the automotive press have been saying, not my words.

This information could be valuable for anyone here planning to take their production G off road.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ramzank
Yes, I did, but what is the relevance of it since nobody can buy it?
They can buy it anywhere in the Rest Of the World, except in North America. Thank you MBUSA!

There were a lot of less than well thought out decisions made by MB in that little adventure. They were discussed thoroughly on another forum.

FWIW, with a couple of very minor, but important, modifications, my G500 has done some fairly demanding off-road trips without any trouble.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by DUTCH
FWIW, with a couple of very minor, but important, modifications, my G500 has done some fairly demanding off-road trips without any trouble.
I am totally on board with this. What have you done, if I may ask? Also, is your truck a 3-door? Great breakover on those.

At a guess, before going to more extremes off road I was thinking about:

change factory 19s for pre '10 18s (already done this)
AT or MT tires
New shocks, Bilstein perhaps
Strengthening spare wheel mount
Sliders and/or relocation/protection of the side exit exhausts
Possibly thick aftermarket skids
A 2" lift with 33" rubber would be nice, but would compromise road use too much for my liking

Now, I will likely do none of the above as I have less expedition time that I would like. The only essential was getting the OEM 18s for more sidewall both on and off the pavement.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ramzank
I am totally on board with this. What have you done, if I may ask? Also, is your truck a 3-door? Great breakover on those.
The biggest improvement was to go from factory 18's to 16's with a one step increase in overall tire diameter. This puts more rubber between the truck and the road; and requires a STAR adjustment to the electronics. The tires are LT (Light Truck) AT's, as opposed to P-Metric. This gives a stiffer sidewall and thicker tread depth. They can be aired down to at least 15 psi for off-road use, which is very important.

This is one of the major mistakes that MB made in OZ. They kept 18" wheels and added AT tires, but in a P-Metric size. Not enough rubber and not enough ability to adequately air down for conditions

My shocks are aftermarket Bilstein, but factory are also Bilstein.

The other thing that MB did wrong was to not allow enough time for the run. This means faster on the wash board roads, which overheats and blows shocks.

Mine is a LWB, btw; but it has taken me everywhere I've ever wanted to go.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
I was just in Dubai and Africa on safaris and nearly EVERY tour, safari and guide vehicle was a toyota land cruiser. I'm talking 99%. NO G-classes and very few Land Rovers except the odd Defender. That's a pretty big indicator that the land cruiser is doing something right and is rather durable.

Don't get me wrong, the G is my favorite vehicle right now and I want to pick one up...just my real world two cents...
Old 01-06-2012, 06:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
This trip is across the Canning stock route which would be one of the hardest tracks for a vehicle to traverse in the world.
Toyota would not send in the LC200 as it would surely break the front diff!!!
-They are sold for Mum's to take the kid's to school, and Dad's to tow the boat on the weekend.
Earlier landcruisers only attempted it with aftermarket springs and shocks.
In 1982 I crossed it in a Mitsubishi L200 (Dodge Ram 50) with no breakages but it did catch fire twice. Ford Explorers have now been renamed Ford Exploders due to their fires.
The fact that G350's broke is no surprise to us locals.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes S600TT, LX470 SuperCharged, QX4, BMW 750IL
ian: Thanks for that info. How do the cars catch fire? Very interesting route. Glad that Mercedes tried to cover it with the modern day G-wagon.

If Mercedes had left the 16" wheel on the G500's they would have been fine (Gwagon Professional made it fine). Aftermarket shocks would have helped too.

Landcruisers run about half the price of a G wagon so that would account for the reason why more of them are used more often. But not many landcruisers can say they are 28 years old like my 1984 G Wagon:
Old 01-07-2012, 05:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
Unlike the bare sands of the Sahara etc, Australian deserts are covered in "Spinifex", a very spiky grass that grows upto a metre high. This grass produces seeds in summer which will clog any radiator despite multiple layers of flywire. But when its dry (the rest of the year, the stems break off and build up underneath where the transmission heat is enough to ignite the resin within. This occurs even if you keep the exhaust clear. Some cars particularly with IFS are more prone to this.

Further effects of the spinifex is the roots of old plants form deep ruts which will send the car pitching if you use speed. And the only way to top the 1000 sandridges is to use speed.

A further problem is the white ants (termites) which like to build a nest (mound) of red sand in the wheel ruts in the red sand desert. You never see them but you certainly feel them!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Reckless;

If Mercedes had left the 16" wheel on the G500's they would have been fine (Gwagon Professional made it fine).
[IMG
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6232/6427324421_5283fa2840.jpg[/IMG]
Are the 16" steel wheels available in the USA? I noted them in the UK at outrageous pricing but put the part number in a MBusa parts system and get nothing. Does one need to use spacers on the 16"wheels since the offsets are quite different, as I recall.