G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Help! Electric Seat Adjustment Gremlin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 12:44 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I6 and V6 Diesels
Help! Electric Seat Adjustment Gremlin

I've got a 2003 G55 with just over 100K on it. When I bought it, I had some issues with the passenger seat adjustment only going one way (forward).

So I opened up the door and sprayed some contact cleaner on all of the electrical connections behind the door and under the seat. And Voila, the seat started to work again like it should.

Fast forward 30 days (its a little colder here in the bay area)

My driver side seat decides that sometimes the seat adjustment wants to work, and sometimes it doesn't. When its NOT working, sometimes I will hear an occasional click, but generally nothing. The seat memory recall is adjusting the mirror, but not the seat. A few hours later, it starts working again, for no apparent reason.

So I go ahead and open the driver door up, spray contact cleaner on all of the connections (in door and under seat) and we're back in business again.

Fast forward one week.

The passenger seat starts acting up again, only this time it decides it will not work at all. Later the same day it starts to work again.

Same day, the driver seat decides it does not want to work anymore either. Later that day, it starts working again.

I'm pretty sure this is a loose connection, but I want to be doubly sure. I don't want to invest $200 for each seat controller in the door, and god knows how much the controller is under the seat.

Would love to hear from others about their experience. Is this a bad seat controller switch? Could it be that both have gone bad? Should I invest in new seat adjustment controllers?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
This is not uncommon, and has been discussed over on P3, along with solutions to fix the problem.

Last edited by DUTCH; 12-11-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I6 and V6 Diesels
Thanks Dutch for responding. I did search, but obviously missed it. I will try to clean the switches again with forced air and if all else fails, just replace the driver side controller.

Between Benzworld, P3 and MBworld, its a wonder that we can't consolidate all three into one and search across them. Would make life easier than three separate searches.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
Originally Posted by vrathore
Thanks Dutch for responding. I did search, but obviously missed it. I will try to clean the switches again with forced air and if all else fails, just replace the driver side controller.

Between Benzworld, P3 and MBworld, its a wonder that we can't consolidate all three into one and search across them. Would make life easier than three separate searches.
When you do the Search on P3, be sure to do an Advanced Search and tick the option to Search All Posts.