G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

2002 G500 AUX installation help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 07:18 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
S55 AMG
2002 G500 AUX installation help?

Hello forums! I have a 2002 Mercedes G500, and while playing with the COMAND system and its' features, I stumbled upon the "AUX" menu in the SYS. When I go to it, it says "Auxiliary Audio Source" and plays no sound. Thinking to myself "Neat! I have an AUX feature in my car!" so I dug around in the forums and found the port is suppose to be in the glovebox.

I opened my glovebox and where the AUX port is suppose to be, there is an empty square hole. I opened a PDF of the 2002 G-Class's COMAND Operation manual, and on page 225 it says that:

"The auxiliary audio source (e.g. CD changer) will be installed in the glove compartment of your vehicle and connected to the socket available for this purpose. You will require a separate connecting cable for this. Refer to the separate operating instructions for information on how to operate the auxiliary audio source (e.g. CD Changer)."

Thinking, "Okay lets go buy the AUX cable from the dealer and lets get it installed." but going to the dealer was no help as they had no idea what on earth I was talking about and why I was getting in-dept about "optional' features offered 14 years ago. With no luck there, I checked online and other than finding aftermarket 7$ AUX kits for COMAND 2.0, I found what seems to be an OEM AUX port being sold by fourbyfourclub for 88$. Here is the listing:

http://fourbyfourclub.com/W463Electr...putHarness.htm

Comparing this supposed "OEM" to the cheap 7$ aftermarkets being sold in China, I think this is probably the right kit needed for installation as it comes with a manual and 3.5 AUX jack. One concern however, the end of the wire seem like split wires and there is no port which plugs to the back of the COMAND system. The aftermarkets have the port which connects to the back of the COMAND system.

My question is to you guys and hopefully one of you might have done this on your G500 02-06 or your C-Classes that use the same COMAND 2.0; is this the correct part to buy and hook up on the COMAND system? Do I need to buy a separate port to connect the spit end wires to then connect it to the back of the COMAND system as a whole? Or does the COMAND system have the port plugged in and I just connect the split wires in their appropriate places on the port that already came on the COMAND system.

One more question, the websites selling these AUX cables and ports keep mentioning that COMAND system must not have a TV Tuner or a CD Changer. I don't think mine has a TV Tuner but the car does play CD's and with the mention of "(e.g. CD Changer)" in the COMAND manual, will the installation of the AUX in anyway shape or form disrupt the connection between the CD Changer that already came with the car? Do I have to remove the CD Changer in order to make the cars AUX function work? I really don't want to mess with any wires or ports and remove "this and that" in order to install "this and that". Any feedback is greatly appreciated and I sincerely welcome!

Thanks and have have an amazing day!

(P.S. I plan to take this to MB or maybe a stereo shop to do the job)
Old 05-21-2015, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 G500 Silver
RADIO

There's post on other forums regarding adding the AUX to the COMMAND. I would suggest changing the Headunit to an aftermarket unit. I changed mine in my 2005 and it's the best thing you can do to the truck. It's not the simplest thing but it's worth the effort. I have all the info if you want to PM me. I'm finishing my installation this weekend to add my Backup camera and SIRUS radio.
I also ran Dual USB Ports and HDMI cable to the center armrest.
You will spend almost the same amount of time to add an AUX without the same sound quality...
I'm also replacing the frame around the radio, so it will look cleaner when I'm done with my final mod...
2002 G500 AUX installation help?-0d160809-c4a1-4b2f-b2a6-d6a95f1a0935_zpsch76xf8a.jpg
2002 G500 AUX installation help?-9cf099e7-ed2d-439b-b1a1-a0b23da09c1c_zpsyd2jipok.jpg

Last edited by KeithG500; 05-21-2015 at 09:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
paqueras (10-12-2016)