G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

G270 CDI cranks a lot (6 to 10 times) before it starts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-Wagen
G270 CDI cranks a lot (6 to 10 times) before it starts

Hi

I have a Mercedes G270 CDI 2002. I love the car but …. I have the following issue, among many that I will address later, this one is prominent and need to be addressed right now:
The car would crank and lot. The way the car has always been so that you just turn the key and release it. The car will crank until it starts, usually just a few seconds after the glow plug to do their things. I live in a tropical country so not much of an issue… but .. the car always started without not much fuss. Recently I noticed it took longer than usual to start but did start. A few days after it wouldn’t start at all or would crank until battery drains… Call a mechanic, told me the Common Rail pressure regulator is faulty. I buy one and exchange it. Cars starts same moment then I turn off the car for a few hours … Cars wouldn’t start> Mechanic comes back, does a few things. Car starts. I turn it off. It does start with not much fuss. Leaves the car overnight… Car cranks not start, this goes for perhaps 6 to 7 times and finally starts… Other times, it may crank up to 10 times but does starts .. eventually. I have the feeling that it will not start eventually and this will happen soon…
I have had really bad experience with the local MB dealer and am not about to bring the car to them. Scanner (Not MB Star) sees nothing unusual but car will not start if you leave it for more than 2 hours.
I am not a mechanic but understand the basics or a Diesel car (Electrical Engineer by trade) when I just got the car and It started ok, I could remember perhaps that I could hear at times some kind of a buzzing sound when I just turn the key .. priming pump to build up pressure, push diesel to the common rail? Does the G270 CDI has a priming pump or a fuel pump or ???
Long post I need to understand so that I can guide the mechanic to fix the car. I plan to travel to a neighboring country to have it fixed but it must run first. I have the funny feeling that the problem is simple but improperly diagnosed or addressed. Can you help people? What should I do?
Old 07-10-2017, 02:24 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,052 Likes on 973 Posts
1999 E300TD
It's wonderful that you have the knowledge and experience to guide a trained diesel mechanic to solve you starting issues---as you know with diesels most serious problems surround compression and fuel delivery------find a mechanic who can preform a compression and injector leak test------what are the results??
Old 07-15-2017, 02:08 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C230, G550
Have you checked your Auxillary Battery? Mine (2013) had a similar issue (sluggish Start) and the dealer Changed both Batteries, and it started a lot better. Still didnt start like I wanted it to, but it was still 20 times better. Also make sure that you are using like a Interstate Battery... dont use cheap batteries. Next try your starter.

Last edited by TuLsaViPeR; 07-27-2017 at 04:51 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
G 270 cdi
Are you in Nicaragua? That sounds like how we talk about the dealership here in Nicaragua.

I have a G270cdi in Nicaragua and starting issues I had were somewhat similar. It would crank but not start. Or crank for a few times and not start. Replacing the battery fixed the problem. I don't know anything about the common rail.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
G 270 cdi
Originally Posted by TuLsaViPeR
Have you checked your Auxillary Battery? Mine (2013) had a similar issue (sluggish Start) and the dealer Changed both Batteries, and it started a lot better. Still didnt start like I wanted it to, but it was still 20 times better. Also make sure that you are using like a Energizer Battery... dont use cheap batteries. Next try your starter.
Is there an auxiliary battery in the 2002? Where?
Old 07-27-2017, 04:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C230, G550
I thought that it was sitting above the main battery. Dont you have your Owners manual? Use Interstate Batteries.