G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Whats the best W 463 year(s) for my needs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Whats the best W 463 year(s) for my needs?

Greetings,

I have a 2002 G500 with 145K miles. I just had someone offer me more than I paid for it when I bought it used at 44k miles. That's because I over-serviced the car, have complete service records, no collisions and kept it garaged. I don't have the time or $ to do a wonderful upgrade/conversion. Which year(s) should I consider replacing it with?

This truck will be as much off road on gravel roads, old logging roads as on the highway since I use it for hunting and fishing. I don't do anything extreme off road. I run a set of Yokos on their own wheels for spring/summer and put on Goodyear Dura Tracks in September through April. I wash it often and it is garage kept at a constant 50 degrees F year-round.

Note: I've also looked at the top of the line Jeep Grand Cherokee 6 cylinder engine with the top of the line interior. It has 20" "all season" wheels and tires but I would swap over to 18" and Dura Treks for the fall winter early spring. I like the optional grey panel on the hood. "Designed for highway but just as capable off road." The other G. Cherokee is designed for off road and has a much lesser interior. The seats are too small. The tires are mud tires which do me no good. Since the '17s are closing out I can get a good deal and have to put out little cash. I'd keep the Chrysler maybe 3 years; I'll keep the G longer. I put 10k miles or less on the vehicle. If I go on a long trip I rent an Explorer Limited from Enterprise. Any thoughts on the Chrysler?

It snows where I am. If the G can't get through it then you stay home as the highways are probably closed anyway.

No gos
I do not want or need a G55 or a G63.
I do not need the brush guard on the front and will sell it off or keep for resale.
I don't care if exterior lights are halogens, LEDs or whatever.
I'm very happy with 18" wheels but would consider larger wheels for summer. I'd keep my Duratrak MB stock 18" rims.
If possible I don't want a black or red exterior.
Don't need massage, etc. or air-conditioned seats but if it come with it that's fine.
don't need light up MB panels on door floor opening
No black interiors
Only MB dealers or private individuals no bottom feeder used car lots. Preferably get an extended MB warranty or the Fidelity one.

Wants and needs

I want a Comand system into which I can connect my iPhone 6S+ for hands free use. I may put Hi-rez music files on it of at least CD quality. (no iTunes or MPS3 junk)
I want Command that looks like my wife's 2013 GLK for navigation rather than the foolish thing they have in the 2002 that has out of date CD maps that can no longer be updated.
I need to be able to tow - I have a Class 3 hitch from UHAUL in 02 and will put one on the new one. I hear the latest Gs are banned from towing in the USA!
I'd like a back up camera very much. I don't need collision avoidance.
Automatic fold-in side mirrors.
Window regulators that don't have to be replaced every year.
Door locks and inner opening handles that don't have to be replaced every year. I have no children so I could care less about automatic locking.
Springs that don't have to be replaced every year.
Seats as firm supportive or better than what I have now.
Integral SiriusXM if possible.
walnut burl like a traditional MB
5 speed tranny with the torque drain bolt but will accept the 7G+. I'm more interested in reliability
Designo and stuff is fine if not garish. Remember, I put muddy stuff in this.
Bright fog lights and rear fog/backup lights.
If the owner doesn't follow a similar documented service routine, lousy CarFax it gets diminished marks.

Which years and what should I look to pay?

So, ideas and questions?

Last edited by grane; 07-18-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 G550, 2014 ML350
pretty sure the 2013 was the remodel of the interior that put the newer command system in.

so start there and work your way up.

got my 2015 earlier this year CPO from tampa 94k.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
Based on your no gos, wants and needs sounds like you would be better off with the Chrysler. A shorter term committment and more opportunity to find what you want. Not to mention the price differential. Good luck with your search.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
When did they end bumper hitches?

Originally Posted by Brutus2015
pretty sure the 2013 was the remodel of the interior that put the newer command system in.

so start there and work your way up.

got my 2015 earlier this year CPO from tampa 94k.
Thank you for the information about the model year. Can you put a bumper hitch on the 2013s? I was told they dropped the towing spec because some sort of absurd DOT ruling.
? I got mine from UHaul a Class 3.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
For something completely different

Originally Posted by pdeacon
Based on your no gos, wants and needs sounds like you would be better off with the Chrysler. A shorter term committment and more opportunity to find what you want. Not to mention the price differential. Good luck with your search.
Thank you for this information. The problem is finding a Chrysler dealer who will actually let me drive one.

I have access to a wrecked 2005 55 series AMG with supercharger (someone hit the right wheel in an SUV and mashed the subframe. Otherwise the car is perfect.

I was thinking about having the engine, transmission, intercooler, ECU, TCU etc. for the super charger engine moved from the AMG to the G500 this winter as well as having the G "refreshed" I'd also upgrade the electronics at that time. I'd have the body and frame "refreshed." for about $5k. Low taxes on the car - it still is a 2002.

I'm going to start another thread.

Last edited by grane; 09-02-2017 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 C63, 2016 GLE Coupe, 2015 G550, 1968 Datsun 2000
Own w014 G550

Own 2014 G550, mystic white with red interior. Love it so much, and like you I don't need AMG model. It's last model year of naturally aspirated 5.5 litter engine, later model comes with 4 litter bi-turbo. You might want to try which one you like. I like naturally aspirated even low speed torque is less than turbo model, it's more easy to control.
It comes with hitch but never been used except test drive with small camper.

If you want to piece of mind, ask MB dealer. They could find your dream car from auction, certified and sell to you as CPO. I originally planned to purchase that way, but ended up buying new.

Feel free to pm me if you have further more questions.
The following users liked this post:
grane (09-07-2017)