G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

2011 G 55 vs 2015 Macan Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q7, 997 CAB
2011 G 55 vs 2015 Macan Turbo

Hey guys, new to the forum here, in the market to buy a new car due to Dieselgate.

Before I start, I dont want to hear other suggestions like a Range Rover or Cayenne. Have driven them too and they just don't make me feel some sorta way... plus their resale sucks.

Essentially, I narrowed it down to two vehicles as the title implies but can't decide between the two. I've test driven both a 2011 G55, 2013 G63, and Macan S (expect the turbo to be even better) and I love the character of the G55, the longer gears due to the 5 speed transmission, and just feel like the Kompressor and interior suit the car better then the dinky nav thing in the G63.

I know the Macan turbo isn't in the same category (crossover vs. truck) but I'm reaching out to the forum if anyone switched between the two or has my dilemma. I really like the quickness of the PDK and the sporty figure the macan displays.

Essentially what appeals to me is the character, and how well it depreciates over time. Both cars (with low miles) can be had at around the high 60s, low 70s so price and the smiles per miles are what made me narrow it down to these two. I don't care that one is newer than the other but I'm at a standstill. Both would be a dream but can only be one champ.

What would you guys do? And which would you think would hold its value the best down the road? Thanks
Old 07-19-2017, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
Had a similar dilemma a few months ago....

Looked at a G55... loved the power, it was a 2005 so supercharged V8... great power and sound, how can you not love the side exit exhaust ? Love the look of the G-series in general...

But the ride and general truck feel.... i planned to use it to tow and do long distances... I REALLY wanted to like it just didn't think it was gonna work for me...

Looked at a cayenne turbo, real nice was unsure how well it would tow ?

Settled into a ML63 '12 so bi-turbo 5.5 v8..... as you can see in the sig that's where i landed...

Guess it comes down to comfort and carness, that a word ?

I went SUV versus Truck for the comfort and quiet cabin...

My .03

Mike

p.s. the ml tow's great....
Old 07-20-2017, 03:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C230, G550
YOU CAN EITHER AFFROD THE GWAGON OR YOU CANT!

Dont come to a Mercedes forum asking if should buy a Porsche? Thats like going to a steak house asking if you should buy chicken nuggets? or a going to a Vegetarians house asking for Lamb Chops? or going to a Church loking for a Glory Hole.

also Diesel Gate.... PLeeeeeeease!! The biggest joke ever, bargain hunters/ Gas savers don't buy Mercedes and they REALLY dont buy GMonsters. GMonsters will make your Little VW bill look like a House Payment.

Thank you for wasting our time!!!!
Old 07-20-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by safemny
Hey guys, new to the forum here, in the market to buy a new car due to Dieselgate.

Before I start, I dont want to hear other suggestions like a Range Rover or Cayenne. Have driven them too and they just don't make me feel some sorta way... plus their resale sucks.

Essentially, I narrowed it down to two vehicles as the title implies but can't decide between the two. I've test driven both a 2011 G55, 2013 G63, and Macan S (expect the turbo to be even better) and I love the character of the G55, the longer gears due to the 5 speed transmission, and just feel like the Kompressor and interior suit the car better then the dinky nav thing in the G63.

I know the Macan turbo isn't in the same category (crossover vs. truck) but I'm reaching out to the forum if anyone switched between the two or has my dilemma. I really like the quickness of the PDK and the sporty figure the macan displays.

Essentially what appeals to me is the character, and how well it depreciates over time. Both cars (with low miles) can be had at around the high 60s, low 70s so price and the smiles per miles are what made me narrow it down to these two. I don't care that one is newer than the other but I'm at a standstill. Both would be a dream but can only be one champ.

What would you guys do? And which would you think would hold its value the best down the road? Thanks
I've owned a Macan, a 2010 G55, and a 2013 G63. Out of the three I prefer the G63 but the G55 is an awesome truck. The Macan is a great little SUV but I tired of it quickly. There's just nothing like a G. Make sure you spend some time driving both because there's a huge difference in ride, comfort, handling, etc. The G is all truck while the Macan handles and rides like a Porsche. The ride on the G55 can be a little rough but there are some great options available if you choose to change the shocks and springs. I do believe a 2011 G55, bought for the right price, will hold it's value better than a Macan. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
safemny (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts
s550
Originally Posted by TuLsaViPeR
YOU CAN EITHER AFFROD THE GWAGON OR YOU CANT!

Dont come to a Mercedes forum asking if should buy a Porsche? Thats like going to a steak house asking if you should buy chicken nuggets? or a going to a Vegetarians house asking for Lamb Chops? or going to a Church loking for a Glory Hole.

also Diesel Gate.... PLeeeeeeease!! The biggest joke ever, bargain hunters/ Gas savers don't buy Mercedes and they REALLY dont buy GMonsters. GMonsters will make your Little VW bill look like a House Payment.

Thank you for wasting our time!!!!
LMAO