G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

E55 engine/transmission in G500 conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
E55 engine/transmission in G500 conversion

I have access to a very low miles 2006 AMG E55 113 series engine, transmission, ECU, TCU, supercharger intercooler and hoses. In other word a pristine low mileage drivetrain with all electronics. I want to remove the 113 engine in my 2002 G500 and replace it with this engine. By law I can install a new engine in the older car.

What do I need to do to undertake the swap?

My technician's shop builds all kinds of top fuel funny cars all the way down to Kia bodywork. One comment my restorer has made was to keep the existing 5 speed transmission since it is in excellent condition and will keep the cost down. I will be doing this in January so I am in no hurry.

I already know I have to have the ECU wiped and the ECU reprogrammed by an MB dealer to the VIN of the rest of the truck, and then tuned to fit the car.

Please,comments like "its too much trouble" are not helpful.

I need to know the procedure so I can make a decision if the $ is worth it.

I need a step by step procedure. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2017, 12:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
w205 C43, 958.1 CTT
Originally Posted by grane
I have access to a very low miles 2006 AMG E55 113 series engine, transmission, ECU, TCU, supercharger intercooler and hoses. In other word a pristine low mileage drivetrain with all electronics. I want to remove the 113 engine in my 2002 G500 and replace it with this engine. By law I can install a new engine in the older car.

What do I need to do to undertake the swap?

My technician's shop builds all kinds of top fuel funny cars all the way down to Kia bodywork. One comment my restorer has made was to keep the existing 5 speed transmission since it is in excellent condition and will keep the cost down. I will be doing this in January so I am in no hurry.

I already know I have to have the ECU wiped and the ECU reprogrammed by an MB dealer to the VIN of the rest of the truck, and then tuned to fit the car.

Please,comments like "its too much trouble" are not helpful.

I need to know the procedure so I can make a decision if the $ is worth it.

I need a step by step procedure. Thanks!
what step by step procedure are you looking for? how to perform the swap?

shouldn't your technician be able to figure out how to do the swap?
Old 09-03-2017, 03:19 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
W463 G500, W463 G55, W222 S550, F10 M5, RR VOGUE, R107 560SL, VANTAGE, F430, 911
Originally Posted by sterz85
what step by step procedure are you looking for? how to perform the swap?

shouldn't your technician be able to figure out how to do the swap?
yeah, your tech should be able to do it.

fwiw, it should be straight forward. I wouldn't bet on using the E55 ecu, I'd go get a G55 ecu. Otherwise, you should be ok. The trannys aren't that much different, i think theres a very MINOR difference between them. As long as you aren't pushing too much power, i.e. putting an aftermarket tune or pulley, you'll be fine with the stock trans.
The following users liked this post:
grane (09-14-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 02:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
G 270 cdi
If you decide to do this, please tell us about it. It sounds very interesting.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
I believe the wiring harnesses are slightly different and will require a proficient wiring tech to do some splicing etc as well... not entirely "plug n play". But it has been done before and I recall having seen successful threads about this swap in the W209 CLK, W219 CLS and W211 E class worlds.

Good luck and please post a diary of the process for all to see.
grane (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
Better off?

Originally Posted by aerG500
I believe the wiring harnesses are slightly different and will require a proficient wiring tech to do some splicing etc as well... not entirely "plug n play". But it has been done before and I recall having seen successful threads about this swap in the W209 CLK, W219 CLS and W211 E class worlds.

Good luck and please post a diary of the process for all to see.
Would I be better off looking for a CL55, S55 or S500 with a destroyed engine? Where does one look for these things? I'd prefer one without collision damage. Did any of these have AWD?

I'll have to look at those other threads you mention.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
Can't the ECU's be re-programmed?

Originally Posted by gurukid
yeah, your tech should be able to do it.

fwiw, it should be straight forward. I wouldn't bet on using the E55 ecu, I'd go get a G55 ecu. Otherwise, you should be ok. The trannys aren't that much different, i think theres a very MINOR difference between them. As long as you aren't pushing too much power, i.e. putting an aftermarket tune or pulley, you'll be fine with the stock trans.
I see what your saving but the big obstacle seems to be the VIN in the ECU. The Gov't and MB burn in the VIN for anti-theft and to get you to buy a new car. I'm speaking out of ignorance but here is what I heard the procedure is to get around it

1. Remove the E (or G55) ECU from the car and send it to a place in NC that wipes the E/G55 VIN from the ECU.
2. The tech does the motor swap.
3. I have the G500/55 towed to an MB dealer where they reprogram the ECU/engine the same VIN as the G500.
4. The MB dealer then reprograms the ECU with a G55 tune.

The only reason I wanted to swap trannies is the newer car has a torque converter drain plug. I could always keep it as a spare. The technician suggested I use the stock G500 transmission as that would make the swap easier.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:20 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
the standard normally aspirated 55 motors are directly plug and play. in fact from what I understand, you don't even need to change the ECU. it will self adapt to the new 55 motor VS the previous 500 engine. BUT if you want to swap from a 500 to a 55K supercharged engine, then you definitely need an ECU swap and in that case, there is some variance in the wiring and will need to be sorted, spliced and reworked so the ECU plug gains compatibility with the existing wiring harness of the car/truck.

Would I be better off looking for a CL55, S55 or S500 with a destroyed engine? Where does one look for these things? I'd prefer one without collision damage. Did any of these have AWD?

I'll have to look at those other threads you mention.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
I see what your saving but the big obstacle seems to be the VIN in the ECU. The Gov't and MB burn in the VIN for anti-theft and to get you to buy a new car. I'm speaking out of ignorance but here is what I heard the procedure is to get around it

1. Remove the E (or G55) ECU from the car and send it to a place in NC that wipes the E/G55 VIN from the ECU.
3. I have the G500/55 towed to an MB dealer where they reprogram the ECU/engine the same VIN as the G500.

The only reason I wanted to swap trannies is the newer car has a torque converter drain plug. I could always keep it as a spare. The technician suggested I use the stock G500 transmission as that would make the swap easier.
Any torque converter shop can add a drain plug to your existing torque converter if that is your only reasoning. Also several places perform the rewriting of the VIN in ECU. You don't have to take it to the dealer
grane (09-25-2017)
Old 01-29-2021, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz G500
G500 to G55

Could you please show us, or post a new forum about your G500 to G55 swap? i'm very interested to do one. I have a 2002 G500 myself. I should've bought the G55 when I was shopping, but since I've done a lot of things to my truck, i'm attacked to it. Thanks for your replies