G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Purchase Questions / leasing possibility / reliability inquiry

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 12:17 AM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 G550, '15 F82, ‘22 Taycan CT4
Purchase Questions / leasing possibility / reliability inquiry

Looking to purchase a new G class sometime in May or June 2018. Had a couple of questions (and I'm sure more will pop up along the way)

1) what is pricing like? Do most people get the dealers to budge off MSRP? We are coming from an X5 and despite high inventory, our local dealer also had high demand and would not move off of MSRP

2) would people recommend leasing or buying? I've previously only leased cars but with the new tax law coming into effect, I am now leaning towards buying. If buying, I'm looking to hold and use the car 3-5 years. The only hesitation I have is regarding reliability

3) what has everyone's experience been with the g wagon and reliability? If reliable, I feel more assured buying and using beyond the 3 year warranty period. If not, I'd feel more comfortable leasing and returning the vehicle at the conclusion of the 3 year warranty period (I've also leased a hellcat and a range Rover in the past. The hellcat surprisingly had zero issues. The range Rover was a nightmare and I'm oh so glad it was a lease and not a purchased vehicle)

Thanks in advance, looking forward to being a part of the community!
Old 12-31-2017, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
Originally Posted by DarrVao777
Looking to purchase a new G class sometime in May or June 2018. Had a couple of questions (and I'm sure more will pop up along the way)

1) what is pricing like? Do most people get the dealers to budge off MSRP? We are coming from an X5 and despite high inventory, our local dealer also had high demand and would not move off of MSRP

2) would people recommend leasing or buying? I've previously only leased cars but with the new tax law coming into effect, I am now leaning towards buying. If buying, I'm looking to hold and use the car 3-5 years. The only hesitation I have is regarding reliability

3) what has everyone's experience been with the g wagon and reliability? If reliable, I feel more assured buying and using beyond the 3 year warranty period. If not, I'd feel more comfortable leasing and returning the vehicle at the conclusion of the 3 year warranty period (I've also leased a hellcat and a range Rover in the past. The hellcat surprisingly had zero issues. The range Rover was a nightmare and I'm oh so glad it was a lease and not a purchased vehicle)

Thanks in advance, looking forward to being a part of the community!
#1 - I think a dealer may budge on a leftover 2017 or a crazy custom ordered car that the customer bailed out on. Otherwise, I think it's MSRP.

#2 - I think the consensus is buying is better because MB doesn't offer attractive leases on the G

#3 - Not sure but FYI, the factory warranty is 4 yrs and you can purchase an extra 3 yrs up to 100K mi.
The following users liked this post:
DarrVao777 (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the reply

I figured as much regarding getting the car at MSRP

I've had great experiences with lease quotes from BMW but am leaning towards buying outright for the G. Gotta start working in saving up that cash ☺️

Good to hear the factory warranty is 4 years, should give me plenty of time to decide on whether or not to pick up the extended warranty or just move on in the event the car is really problematic. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2017, 09:47 PM

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
If I were in the market for a G I would wait for the introduction of the "new model". There are going to be upgrades in the suspension and the interior look and ergonomics. That being said, it is not uncommon to get a discount from MSRP. The common number is ~ 7%. The previous poster is correct about leasing. For some reason MB Financial does not offer good deals on lease terms for the G. I find this interesting because these vehicles have historically held their value well and residual value is a key component in a lease calculation. This may be a reason that tilts the scale in favor of a purchase. A strong resale value may allow you to trade out of the vehicle within the term of the manufacturers warranty without taking too much of a hit. These vehicles are very reliable if maintained properly. But because they are a limited production vehicle the cost of parts is generally higher than other products in the MB line.
My last piece of advice (and I have said this many times in this forum) is to take an extensive test drive before committing to a purchase/lease. These trucks are very different from other vehicles, SUV's and trucks. They have their idiosyncrasies in terms of handling, comfort and overall performance. If you are accustomed to luxury cars and trucks the G will seem noisy, especially going down the highway. The steering leaves a lot to be desired as well. Perhaps that is what gives it it's own unique character. I'm not trying to discourage you but advise that you go into the deal with full awareness of what to expect.
In my case I came across a dealer demonstrator with 2,200 miles. The vehicle had never been registered so I was able to lease it at a very favorable capitalized cost with a new car warranty.
Best of luck with your search.
DarrVao777 (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by pdeacon
If I were in the market for a G I would wait for the introduction of the "new model". There are going to be upgrades in the suspension and the interior look and ergonomics. That being said, it is not uncommon to get a discount from MSRP. The common number is ~ 7%. The previous poster is correct about leasing. For some reason MB Financial does not offer good deals on lease terms for the G. I find this interesting because these vehicles have historically held their value well and residual value is a key component in a lease calculation. This may be a reason that tilts the scale in favor of a purchase. A strong resale value may allow you to trade out of the vehicle within the term of the manufacturers warranty without taking too much of a hit. These vehicles are very reliable if maintained properly. But because they are a limited production vehicle the cost of parts is generally higher than other products in the MB line.
My last piece of advice (and I have said this many times in this forum) is to take an extensive test drive before committing to a purchase/lease. These trucks are very different from other vehicles, SUV's and trucks. They have their idiosyncrasies in terms of handling, comfort and overall performance. If you are accustomed to luxury cars and trucks the G will seem noisy, especially going down the highway. The steering leaves a lot to be desired as well. Perhaps that is what gives it it's own unique character. I'm not trying to discourage you but advise that you go into the deal with full awareness of what to expect.
In my case I came across a dealer demonstrator with 2,200 miles. The vehicle had never been registered so I was able to lease it at a very favorable capitalized cost with a new car warranty.
Best of luck with your search.
Awesome thanks for the info! I was reading about the redesign for 2018 (2019 model) and am hoping to be able to wait long enough for the new model. I was aiming for an upgrade as our X5 comes off of lease in May 2018 but I could wait until August especially having seen the new interior

You had mentioned replacement parts can be expensive because it is a limited production vehicle. I'm assuming the cost for these parts are covered within the warranty period?

Finally, thanks for the advice on the test drive. I've heard this multiple times too since the vehicle is so different from what people may be expecting from a luxury vehicle. All the more important since I will be purchasing or leasing the vehicle primarily for my wife
Old 01-01-2018, 09:25 AM

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
I can tell you this: the G is no X5. Not even close. The G is plain and simple, a truck. The X5 is a fine handling, upscale, modern SUV. I considered an X5M when I bought the G but have always been intrigued by the G. I have a long term relationship with my MB dealership and have always been treated fairly. I have two other Benzes and have owned many over the years. That and the fact that they gave me a great deal made up my mind. I'm not sorry about my decision because the G is so unique I get a kick out of it every time I drive it.
Interesting you mentioned you are buying the G for your wife. I bought mine for my own use thinking my wife would have little interest in it. After she used it a couple of times she announced that that would be "her" primary vehicle. She finds the visibility terrific and maneuverability easier than our E Class cab or sedan. Go figure. Compared to the cars you really have to muscle the G around and pay attention going down the road because it tends to wander and follow the crown of the road. The steering is much stiffer than the cars. That being said, the G has endeared itself to both of us. So I guess that's a good thing. Following up on my previous suggestion; before you make a commitment, have your wife spend some time behind the wheel in different situations until she becomes accustomed to it.
Hope all works out for you. Happy motoring...and...Happy New Year.
DarrVao777 (01-01-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
Originally Posted by DarrVao777
Awesome thanks for the info! I was reading about the redesign for 2018 (2019 model) and am hoping to be able to wait long enough for the new model. I was aiming for an upgrade as our X5 comes off of lease in May 2018 but I could wait until August especially having seen the new interior

You had mentioned replacement parts can be expensive because it is a limited production vehicle. I'm assuming the cost for these parts are covered within the warranty period?

Finally, thanks for the advice on the test drive. I've heard this multiple times too since the vehicle is so different from what people may be expecting from a luxury vehicle. All the more important since I will be purchasing or leasing the vehicle primarily for my wife
Parts and labor are covered during the warranty period!

Hertz, Sixt or Turo are your friends. Check them out to see if you can rent a G550 or G63. I rented one from Sixt and Hertz and had a blast even though it definitely drives nothing like a new car. I also like old cars and hence the G's archaic driving experience is a plus for me. I look at it as a resto-modded classic Benz with MB warranty

Note that 2018 MY is going to be the last year for the 30+yr old G. The 2019 (or whenever it's being sold) is a new truck that happens to keep similar looks. I have always wanted a 460/461/463 since the 90s so I'm going for this last model year and keeping it for a long time. If you want something more modern, definitely wait!

But yeah, rent one! Hertz and Sixt only have Gs in certain areas (Vegas, LA)
DarrVao777 (01-02-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 12:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With new model coming out soon, it might have an negative impact on the resale market. As people mentioned above, it drives like a truck, not the most comfortable. Also not the safest Mercedes in the line up for Mercedes Benz.