G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Rear Brakes binding - 2002 G500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Rear Brakes binding - 2002 G500

I don't drive my G500 /149kMiles very much since I work from home. The truck is always garaged. Problem: The rear brakes were definitely worn more than the fronts. This is counter-intuitive. Also, when I went around corners it seemed as if there was a "moaning" sound coming from the rears.

I had all four rotors and pads replaced with a stop-tech kit that one can find on Amazon. Lighter and more corrosion free than stock MB parts. Fluid was changed and the slides were lubricated. New wear sensors were installed. The pistons in the calipers are all fine.

A few months after, I found that the rear brakes are always engaging and the fronts don't even get warm. I went to three different techs. (of course 2 wanted to start swapping out parts.) One said that I have to drive the car in reverse for some distance occasionally and then apply the brakes. I've been doing this and the procedure seems to be correcting the problem. The front brakes are definitely getting warmer and closer to the rears in temp. He explained, since the car sits, that the AWD system needs to have the fluid in the various differentials circulated to even out the pressures in the differentials for the ABS and the proportioning system. (Do not confuse this with the diff locking system.)

I'm backing the car up for 100 yds or so several times in a safe place whenever I take out the vehicle. The problem is getting gradually better.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas about how to fix the problem?

Last edited by grane; 03-24-2018 at 04:35 PM.