G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

G55 Pulls left only when accelerating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan GTR R35
G55 Pulls left only when accelerating

Hi Guys,

I have a 2011 G55 with steering issue, my car pulls to the left only under acceleration and when I let go the throttle paddle to cruise car steering will straiten and drives norma, I did wheel/tire alignment and while doing that I found that the steering damper had a missing bushing, I changed it with a new one and I changed the engine and transmission mounts as well cause it was time to change them, but nothing fixed the pulling left issue, I also checked all my front and rear end bushings all in great shape, I also have my front diff checked and the garage told me it has a very minimal grinding sound but they also told me it has nothing to do with the car steers to the left when accelerating.

Please guys, I really need some help, where to look at and whats the cause of this issue?

Regards

Fahad
Old 04-01-2021, 02:09 PM

G55
Hi Fahad I have the same issue did you figure out the problem?
Old 04-01-2021, 02:10 PM

G55
Originally Posted by fahadco80
Hi Guys,

I have a 2011 G55 with steering issue, my car pulls to the left only under acceleration and when I let go the throttle paddle to cruise car steering will straiten and drives norma, I did wheel/tire alignment and while doing that I found that the steering damper had a missing bushing, I changed it with a new one and I changed the engine and transmission mounts as well cause it was time to change them, but nothing fixed the pulling left issue, I also checked all my front and rear end bushings all in great shape, I also have my front diff checked and the garage told me it has a very minimal grinding sound but they also told me it has nothing to do with the car steers to the left when accelerating.

Please guys, I really need some help, where to look at and whats the cause of this issue?

Regards

Fahad
any solution??
Old 04-02-2021, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 882 Likes on 680 Posts
G550
If you're certain the differential isn't at fault, you might want to have the ABS, ECS and traction control systems checked. A malfunction should produce an instrument panel annunciation and/or an OBDII code. If there's a faulty sensor that's causing the ECU to think that one wheel is slipping (losing traction), braking action would be applied to the other wheel to limit its rotation. This would cause pulling to one side during acceleration that would subsequently moderate after backing off on the acelerator.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
Most of the time it has been my experience that this kind of behavior is related to the axle bushings. There are 8 associated with each axle - four where the trailing arm attaches to the axle housing and four where the trailing arm attaches to the frame. The ones at the frame attachment point are prone to becoming "compressed" over time thus allowing the axle to turn slightly sideways under acceleration.

The other possibility is the Panhard rod bushings. If these are worn, the axle can translate sideways, thus creating an improper thrust angle.

You might want to take it to a good alignment shop and have them check the toe on both the front and rear axles and then calculate the thrust angle. The answer should be zero for all three. They might complain that the rear is not adjustable, but measure it anyway. If the rear toe or the thrust angle is not zero, check/replace the bushings. Do the frame ones first as they most often are the issue.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:16 AM

G55
Problem solved

Guys it took me about 3 months to solve the problem and guess what.. no parts required. I bought this second hand car.. for some reason most of G class wagon ( as I was told by balance mechanics) pulls to the right direction ( manufacture defect or what ever you call it) so the previous owner added some spacers ( Washer see the photo ) to the front left arm which holds the deferential in order not to let the car turn right which made an even space for the front tires ( right tire is pushed to the front ) which made the two tires not being in the same horizontal level. I removed the washers and the problem is gone !! The only issue now is that the car pulls slightly to the right when I drive.. tried to do alignment , tire balance and no changes. But at least the car doesn’t pull to the left during acceleration . Any suggestions for the pulling to right issue??