2019 G550 New Front Bull Bar - Page 2 - MBWorld.org Forums

Notices
G-Class (W460, W461, W463) 1980-Present: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G 250, G 300, G 300 DT, G 320, G 500, G55 AMG

2019 G550 New Front Bull Bar

Old 02-08-2019, 10:24 AM

Future 2019 G550 Owner
Originally Posted by pateljb View Post
Yes, I had mine removed to powder coat it. Remove the plastic caps located just below the vertical component of the bull bar and it will reveal 2 vertically oriented bolts per side. Remove the bolts and the bull bar lifts right up. There are 2 additional bolts/nuts holding the vertical and horizontal components together.

Hope this answers your question.
Do you think if its kept off (because there are no aftermarket covers as of now) the exposed bolts look bad?
Old 02-08-2019, 04:30 PM

2009 S550 4Matic 2009 GL 550 2009 AM DBS
Originally Posted by entrepyas View Post

Do you think if its kept off (because there are no aftermarket covers as of now) the exposed bolts look bad?
Yes and no. Once the bull bar if off, the plastic caps can be put back to cover up the bolt access area so not noticeable when looking from the front, BUT the top of the bumper will have holes from where the bull bar went into the bumper which can not be cloased off or covered. In addition, rain, snow etc will now enter the holes too.
The Following User Says Thank You to pateljb For This Useful Post:
Sarlox (02-09-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 05:46 PM

2019 G63-when it’s here
OTOH, with the G63's entirely different BB, once it is removed (in 5 minutes time), the stock OEM MB cover plates (same as used in the Euro 2019 G63's) will 100% cover the exposed opening in the front of the bumper slots. The MY2019 G63 uses an entirely different BB. Thankfully, it will not leave any exposed holes/openings on the TOP section of its bumper (e.g., the “top section,” meaning the part of the bumper that is parallel to the deck) when the G63 BB is removed and summarily ****kanned (or, unloaded on eBay!). I plan to immediately remove the BB on my G63 Day 1 (hopefully via MB Service, if they are willing to do this in the first place, which I doubt), unless I get a MY2020 G63. In the latter case, who knows if MB will stick with the current (horrible) version(s) of the BB(s). IMHO, the 2019 BB's (both models) look like a Rube Goldberg last minute rush job (e.g., even blocking the non-existent camera on the 550, thus eliminating it. How stupid!) to get the cars out the door to the holding lots, with the first MY2019 G63’s rusting for up to 6 months “at the docks.” With any luck, perhaps MB will redesign the MY2020 BB, at least for the G63 (plus, implement MBUX!). Anyways, I plan to use the bumper's front face opening (without the cover plate) on the passenger side, so I can have a fabrication shop custom design, build/fabricate, and weld-up, a nice front mount for my Icom AH-740 HF antenna that will bolt into the female threads of the BB’s mounting point on the passenger side. I will then cover whatever is left, as necessary. This opening will be so perfect for what I'm trying to do with mounting an HF antenna on a G63. Probably the first HF application on a G63, outside of the G-Pro line, and military G's, of course.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:38 PM

2014 ML63 2015 G550 & (2) 2019 G550s
Yes, I had mine removed to powder coat it. Remove the plastic caps located just below the vertical component of the bull bar and it will reveal 2 vertically oriented bolts per side. Remove the bolts and the bull bar lifts right up. There are 2 additional bolts/nuts holding the vertical and horizontal components together.

Hope this answers your question.
Great explanation, thanks!

I think they make aftermarket covers to go over those holes, at least I'm hoping they come out soon. My wife likes her BB on her 2019 G550 white, but I'm going to remove mine on my 2019 G550 in Matte Black when it comes in.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:43 PM

G Wagon
The G550's DO NOT come with front cameras, it's not even an option they offer due to bull bar. Only the G63's will have the front and side cameras so you can have real time satellite 360 view from top. This is why in the G550 you will see grid lines around the car when you are in reverse as in the photos posted. I inquired abou the 360 parking camera when we ordered the G550 and could not spec the 360 camera in the US, I was able to order it for my G63 due in this spring.
incorrect. All Gs have front camera in US and Canada. If you have a full bull bar in front it wont work as vision is blocked.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:44 AM

‘17 Range Rover ATB, ‘18 Ford Focus RS, '13 Porsche 911-4S, ‘19 G63 (on order)
Originally Posted by JetRanger View Post
OTOH, with the G63's entirely different BB, once it is removed (in 5 minutes time), the stock OEM MB cover plates (same as used in the Euro 2019 G63's) will 100% cover the exposed opening in the front of the bumper slots. The MY2019 G63 uses an entirely different BB. Thankfully, it will not leave any exposed holes/openings on the TOP section of its bumper (e.g., the top section, meaning the part of the bumper that is parallel to the deck) when the G63 BB is removed and summarily ****kanned (or, unloaded on eBay!). I plan to immediately remove the BB on my G63 Day 1 (hopefully via MB Service, if they are willing to do this in the first place, which I doubt), unless I get a MY2020 G63. In the latter case, who knows if MB will stick with the current (horrible) version(s) of the BB(s). IMHO, the 2019 BB's (both models) look like a Rube Goldberg last minute rush job (e.g., even blocking the non-existent camera on the 550, thus eliminating it. How stupid!) to get the cars out the door to the holding lots, with the first MY2019 G63s rusting for up to 6 months at the docks. With any luck, perhaps MB will redesign the MY2020 BB, at least for the G63 (plus, implement MBUX!). Anyways, I plan to use the bumper's front face opening (without the cover plate) on the passenger side, so I can have a fabrication shop custom design, build/fabricate, and weld-up, a nice front mount for my Icom AH-740 HF antenna that will bolt into the female threads of the BBs mounting point on the passenger side. I will then cover whatever is left, as necessary. This opening will be so perfect for what I'm trying to do with mounting an HF antenna on a G63. Probably the first HF application on a G63, outside of the G-Pro line, and military G's, of course.
I doubt that MB dealer/workshop would be inclined to removing the bull-bar for G63..new G-class got its US certifications with bull-bars on...