G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

G63s Released from VPC Today in US

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 03:58 PM

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts
2023 G550
Hey, SF! Thank you so very much for your post re: the URL to the company that fabricates and sells this military G-wagen antenna bracket mounting part. This is EXACTLY what I have been searching for! I have already spoken with them today, and they are extremely nice folks, and were very helpful, too. I'm hoping it will fit, but if the 2019 G has changed dimensions on its front fender from the 2018 and earlier models, I'm hoping I can find a local fabrication shop to either modify it, or perhaps use it as a guide to build a new one that will fit the 2019 G’s fender geometry and dimensions. “G-Wagen Accessories” was pretty doubtful it will fit the new 2019 G, and they do not have a MY2019 to try it out on. She said to keep in mind everything on the 2019 G has been totally changed, so it’s likely I will have to make some changes, but that’s OK, as I think I can get something put together. Br, JR
Old 01-30-2019, 04:01 PM

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
E63s AMG
Originally Posted by JetRanger
Hey, SF! Thank you so very much for your post re: the URL to the company that fabricates and sells this military G-wagen antenna bracket mounting part. This is EXACTLY what I have been searching for! I have already spoken with them today, and they are extremely nice folks, and were very helpful, too. I'm hoping it will fit, but if the 2019 G has changed dimensions on its front fender from the 2018 and earlier models, I'm hoping I can find a local fabrication shop to either modify it, or perhaps use it as a guide to build a new one that will fit the 2019 G’s fender geometry and dimensions. “G-Wagen Accessories” was pretty doubtful it will fit the new 2019 G, and they do not have a MY2019 to try it out on. She said to keep in mind everything on the 2019 G has been totally changed, so it’s likely I will have to make some changes, but that’s OK, as I think I can get something put together. Br, JR
Excellent! A good fabricator will have no problem with that.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:18 PM

2023 G550
All of the body panels on the 2019 G fit with much improved precision and tighter tolerances, compared to previous G's. The antenna mount tab fits underneath the passenger side lip of the hood. The old pre-2019 hoods had a lot of gap space there, so it would close right over the top of the mounting tab, just like the door to frame clearances had very large tolerance gaps, too. So, I'm pretty sure I will need to do some significant changes to the mount design. I may explore having the fab shop heliarc the mount to the fender, as opposed to bolting it on, since the new model has essentially zero clearance tolerances. I assume a good body shop can do a nice grinding/sanding/polishing/repaint job once its welded on, so it looks as good as possible. Should be pretty unhelpful to my resale value , but I plan to keep this ride for a very long time, especially having gone to all this trouble and expense of mounting the Icom HF antenna. Probably will cost some big coin to do this, but should be well worth it. I'm hoping the Icom AH-740 antenna chassis doesn't freak out the forward-looking collision/auto-follow cruise control camera, though. Might mess it up. Damn! If so, this will be a very expensive lesson on my part. I may have to jury rig-up some sort of a temporary mounting solution to see if the antenna's pretty significant profile confuses the safety camera. I definitely do not want to disable those systems, so if this happens, it could be a complete show stopper. Life was so much simpler before all of these safety gizmos.

Last edited by JetRanger; 01-30-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 Maybach S600 Black, 2016 s550 designo cashmere white magno, 2019 g63, 2020 g63 Midnight Magno
THE DAY HAS COME

Whats up everyone! decided to join the day i recieved the final mile confirmation on my19g63 in polar white !!! interior is platinum/black. not my choice but i was able to get my hands on this allocation on november 15, 2018 while the car was already sitting in Baltimore specd out by another mb client. options are steering wheel, midnight package, black 22s, and the screen. will post pics later this evening upon picking it up. told the dealer to leave the plastic wrap on.. lets see how this goes! ONCE i sign the papers im going to go ahead and purchase the Brabus light bar and grille to start. don't know how i feel on the full kit. if anyone has stumbled upon aftermarket parts for the truck please chime in!!
Old 01-30-2019, 04:25 PM

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
E63s AMG
Originally Posted by JetRanger
All of the body panels on the 2019 G fit with a much improved closer and tighter tolerance compared to previous G's. This mount fits underneath the passenger side lip of the hood. The old hoods had a good deal of space there, just like the doors and frame clearances had pretty large gaps. So, I'm pretty sure I will need to do some significant changes to the mount design. I may explore having the fab shop heliarc the mount to the fender, as opposed to bolting it on, with effectively zero clearance tolerances left on the new G, I assume the shop can do a nice grinding/sanding/polishing/repaint job once its welded on, so it looks as good as possible. Should be pretty unhelpful to my resale value , but I plan to keep this ride for a very long time, especially having gone to all this trouble and expense on mounting the Icom HF antenna. Probably will cost some big coin to do this, but should be well worth it. I'm hoping the Icom AH-740 antenna chassis doesn't freak out the forward-looking collision/auto follow cruise control camera, though. Might mess it up. If so, this will be a very expensive lesson on my part. I may have to jury rig-up some sort of a temporary mounting solution to see if it confuses the safety camera. Don't want to disable those systems, so if this happens, it could be a show stopper. Life was simpler before all of these safety gizmos.
I would test with a large magnetic mount and antenna, first. That would at least give some idea on the safety camera. I would be inclined to decrease the mount height, if you do a full fab. The fenders are steel, BTW. The hood and doors are aluminium.
it will look cool a heck, although I am sure a few may disagree...
Old 01-30-2019, 04:39 PM

2023 G550
Excellent points, SF. Yeah, the stock OEM military antenna mount is quite tall, but the Icom gigantic mounting lug is long, plus given the antenna will be an attraction to thieves, Icom has drilled a nice horizontal slot in the mounting lug to accommodate a special pad lock. This lock hangs down immediately beneath the mounting lug, adding to the overall vertical clearance necessary to avoid the pad lock from banging against the top of the fender. So many issues to wrestle with here! So, the height of the OEM antenna bracket looks to be just about right. The mag mount might just work as a temporary test jig, but that AH-740 weighs in at about 9 lbs, without its 5 ft antenna whip screwed on, so it might take more than a mag mount to hold it. Just another thing to wrestle with, but what fun I am having!
Old 01-30-2019, 07:29 PM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
mercedes g63
G63's have arrived in SoCal

While mine is around 30 days out....my dealer had 4 2019 g63's on his lot....2 edtion 1's and 1 Iridium silver and 1 white g63....I was surprised how much I liked the iridium silver...it did not have 22 inch wheels and it did not have night package...with iridium silver...the g63 looks great and the bull bar and bumper plates not being black looked great as well ...if it hand the 22 wheels...I would have purchased today.

Cheers

Last edited by CDHG63; 01-30-2019 at 07:31 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-30-2019, 07:55 PM

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Past: C350, 2015 CLS63, 2016 AMG GTS Current:2019 G63 AMG, 2022 Ram TRX, 2022 Maserati MC20
Originally Posted by CDHG63
While mine is around 30 days out....my dealer had 4 2019 g63's on his lot....2 edtion 1's and 1 Iridium silver and 1 white g63....I was surprised how much I liked the iridium silver...it did not have 22 inch wheels and it did not have night package...with iridium silver...the g63 looks great and the bull bar and bumper plates not being black looked great as well ...if it hand the 22 wheels...I would have purchased today.

Cheers
pictures!
Old 01-30-2019, 08:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
G550
Which dealer so I can pull up pics! Mine arrives end of May and I can wait but fun to see them on lots.