G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

2019 G63 New Exhaust - Anyone out there?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 11:54 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche Cayenne GTS
2019 G63 New Exhaust - Anyone out there?

I am looking for a new exhaust system for my 2019 G63. Not that impressed by the stock system.

Anyone out there pull the trigger on the new Brabus exhaust? Any videos besides Shmee150 quick review?

Any other systems out there for the 19' W464 yet? Haven't found a lot.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:23 PM

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts
AMG GTR
Yeah I’m looking too I didn’t find anything either . Only thing I was told was to cut secondary cats but I don’t know warranty wise
Old 04-27-2019, 04:36 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
G63
How would you say the stock sound compares to last gen 63? I'm also shocked they didn't go with something similar to the GLE AMG in terms of sound.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:56 PM

Porsche Cayenne GTS
Think I am going to have the second cats cut off next week, but they are pretty small, so I am not expecting much change in sound. However, even after a super short ride (about 6 blocks, 4 min), I noticed these secondary cats got rather hot, so maybe I will be surprised.
The following users liked this post:
johnnyderm (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 03:07 PM

Received 135 Likes on 111 Posts
993 TT
Try to take video before / after w/ sound on the cat removal.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
RS7
https://capristoexhaust.com/product-...-benz/g63-amg/
Found one
AMGBEASTMODE (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 02:40 PM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by ngarvin
Think I am going to have the second cats cut off next week, but they are pretty small, so I am not expecting much change in sound. However, even after a super short ride (about 6 blocks, 4 min), I noticed these secondary cats got rather hot, so maybe I will be surprised.
apprently cutting the secondary cats will make the car way louder I was told by a tuning shop locally here and they did it on a new G as well however I want to do this too, but they keep telling me that my warranty will be at risk. How true is that, what can possible go wrong since it’s reversible ? Can anyone shed some light on that for me please ?
Old 05-04-2019, 05:06 PM

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts
2023 G550
Why not make an appointment with the Service Dept Manager of your local Mercedes dealer where you normally have your car serviced under warranty. Ask him or her if what you are proposing to do would in any way, shape, or form void your MB factory warranty. I don't see where there is any harm in inquiring about this beforehand, as obviously it's not like a stealthy event to do what you're suggesting. If you go ahead and mod your exhaust system without prior approval by MB, there is roughly a 100% chance your MB service dept will very quickly notice exactly what you had done, likely the very fist time your car is put up on their service lift, even for a simple A-service event. If MB has an issue with your modified exhaust system (and I'm guessing they very likely would), it seems like it would be way, way better to find out now, before the dirty deed is done, and it's too late. The only real cost to you of the mtg with the Service Dept Mgr re: your proposed mod, is a bit of your time. But hey, just meld it in with a fun visit to your MB dealer to check out all the new models anyways. Sans such a mtg with the manager, if I'm correct about MB having a big problem with modifying the factory exhaust system, I would think it would be very pricey correcting things afterwards to restore your warranty, if that would even be possible in the first place. Who knows if once the deed is done, you're caput in terms of your factory warranty, regardless if you attempted to restore things back to normal, or not. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:14 AM

AMG GTR
My dealer said if I cut the second cats the warranty will be voided and they will find out. But warranty for what, is it just exhaust related or engine related or a concoction of everything
Old 05-05-2019, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E63
CEL

I wonder if cutting the secondary cats will produce a CEL. I deleted the resonator on my E63 and it did not cause a CEL. And it made the car sound way better and my service department at the dealer never said a peep to me in any of my service runs. If no CEL I wonder if warranty issues even will come up for my G63
Old 05-05-2019, 02:44 PM

Porsche Cayenne GTS
I have modded my exhaust on a few cars and never had a warranty problem. I don't think cutting the Cats off (and reconnecting the system to muffler) vs. an aftermarket Cat-back system (from a Brabus) is that different to the dealer. Yes, if you have an exhaust related problem they may not fix it (Leak, related CEL, Etc.), but other than that no problems.

Does anyone strongly disagree that the two are different in a dealers perspective? Both are "changing" the factory designed system, but I am really quite confident a Brabus system wouldn't void the warranty.

Sidenote: I am a little concerned with getting a CEL with cat delete - That is why I am prepared to put it back in, or go with a Brabus system. @amg_ghost -- Did your tunning shop have intel on this? Did they get a Check Engine Light on the one they cut?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:00 PM

AMG GTR
I have modded my exhaust on a few cars and never had a warranty problem. I don't think cutting the Cats off (and reconnecting the system to muffler) vs. an aftermarket Cat-back system (from a Brabus) is that different to the dealer. Yes, if you have an exhaust related problem they may not fix it (Leak, related CEL, Etc.), but other than that no problems.

Does anyone strongly disagree that the two are different in a dealers perspective? Both are "changing" the factory designed system, but I am really quite confident a Brabus system wouldn't void the warranty.

Sidenote: I am a little concerned with getting a CEL with cat delete - That is why I am prepared to put it back in, or go with a Brabus system. @amg_ghost -- Did your tunning shop have intel on this? Did they get a Check Engine Light on the one they cut?

Thanks in advance.
my shop locally told me there was no CEL when they did the secondary cat delete
Old 05-05-2019, 04:39 PM

2023 G550
I have modded my exhaust on a few cars and never had a warranty problem. I don't think cutting the Cats off (and reconnecting the system to muffler) vs. an aftermarket Cat-back system (from a Brabus) is that different to the dealer.
Honestly, bro I don't understand all of this ongoing hand wringing over your proposal to modify the factory exhaust system on your 2019 G63. Juxtaposed to soliciting input and opinions from a bunch of strangers here on the Internet, why not do what I previously suggested, and simply schedule a nice friendly sit down appointment with the Service Manger of your local Mercedes Benz dealer who is currently servicing your Merc(s). He or she will gladly give you a definitive and argument ending answer on all of this. Perhaps you could then report back to us, as we will be happy to know what MB's official policy on such mods is.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:19 PM

Porsche Cayenne GTS
Sorry, "bro". I thought this forum was to ask each other questions and share our experiences.

The reason I have not scheduled "a nice friendly sit down" with my "service manager" is because my dealership is a publicly traded company that has a very high turnover - Already has had 3 different GM's from the time I ordered my car and received it, my service manager has also changed over, and I have been promised things that never happened (almost lost my order, my slot, and deposit due to change over).

With that said, having one of them tell me something is true or false, is worth about 2 pennies.

So in many ways, I am more interested in (and trust) this forum's worth of experience since it gives a more macro scale of what is being seen around the U.S.

@amg_ghost -- Thanks for the CEL update - That helps a lot.
VinceAMG (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 01:44 PM

2023 G550
If you’re uncomfortable with a verbal from your Service Mgr, you may want to consider writing a well crafted letter of inquiry regarding your exhaust mod proposal vs/ any warranty implications to MBUSA HQ. Infinitely better than asking around here on the internet. If you’re qweezie about receiving bad news in a response, you may have answered your own question, in advance. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:50 PM

Porsche Cayenne GTS
Thanks - That is a good idea. I may reach out to MBUSA HQ. Let me know if you have their contact info already, but I am guessing I can find it.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:02 PM
3WD
SPONSOR

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Car
I am looking for a new exhaust system for my 2019 G63. Not that impressed by the stock system.

Anyone out there pull the trigger on the new Brabus exhaust? Any videos besides Shmee150 quick review?

Any other systems out there for the 19' W464 yet? Haven't found a lot.
We can offer you BRABUS, Capristo, or FI. Let us know...Thank you!
Old 05-13-2019, 11:52 PM

Porsche Cayenne GTS
2nd cat delete is a no brainer - Highly recommend if you have a good local shop with a mandrel bender. Easy/cheap(er)/reversable way to get a little more sound and allow the car to breath better. You can tell right away it likes the extra flow.

Still might do a Brabus (or other) on top of this once there are more videos, but that is just because I like it to really rumble. I think the way it is now is perfect for most.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E63
2nd cat delete is a no brainer - Highly recommend if you have a good local shop with a mandrel bender. Easy/cheap(er)/reversable way to get a little more sound and allow the car to breath better. You can tell right away it likes the extra flow.

Still might do a Brabus (or other) on top of this once there are more videos, but that is just because I like it to really rumble. I
think the way it is now is perfect for most.

So ngarvin - sounds like you did the secondary cat delete - did it produce a CEL ? Also How much louder would you say it is for both wide open throttle and normal driving?
Old 05-15-2019, 12:28 PM

Porsche Cayenne GTS
No CEL, and it has been a week - I was told the sensor for that is on the primary cat, and that appears to be true.

It is not much louder, maybe 10% more sound, without it changing the note. However, in sport+ it does the backfire pop more. I had a VERY loud Cayenne GTS with a TUBI exhaust, but with this upgrade, I think the G is where it is supposed to be.

I think there might be a tiny bit more power at times, but hard to tell. I am almost certain there was no low loss of torque/hp - The car seems happy with the increased flow.

The following 2 users liked this post by ngarvin:
V8ray (11-30-2020), VinceAMG (05-15-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 02:18 PM

Received 241 Likes on 138 Posts
Soon: 2020 G63 Currently: 2016 GLE63 SUV + 97 F250HD, Before: 2013 G550, Range Rover Sport, 1984 CJ7
Pretty beast:
VinceAMG (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 08:58 PM

Received 292 Likes on 194 Posts
‘13 911-4S, ‘21 CTR, '22 GT4, ‘19 G63
I don’t think the g wagon can sound any better than this ...mansory exhaust !

The following 2 users liked this post by Festertester:
bigdaddy101004 (05-17-2019), VinceAMG (05-17-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 08:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 G550 ,2018 S63 amg Coupe,2019 AMG G63,2021 AMG 63 (on order),2021 G550 (on order)
No CEL, and it has been a week - I was told the sensor for that is on the primary cat, and that appears to be true.

It is not much louder, maybe 10% more sound, without it changing the note. However, in sport+ it does the backfire pop more. I had a VERY loud Cayenne GTS with a TUBI exhaust, but with this upgrade, I think the G is where it is supposed to be.

I think there might be a tiny bit more power at times, but hard to tell. I am almost certain there was no low loss of torque/hp - The car seems happy with the increased flow.

Hello Ngarvin,
Are you aware if the muffler shop had to un-install the downpipes with primary cat attached to preform this modification?
ie. remove the downpipe, cut off the secondary cat, attach the new connecting pipe and hanger and re-install the moded pipe.

I am nervous about a muffler shop being too invasive (under the hood)on such an expensive vehicle.
I was hoping all could be down from below the vehicle.
I have the exhaust flap module installed which does very little for sound.
I am looking for a few more pops and bangs in sport+ combined with the flap module I installed.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 11-18-2019, 04:56 AM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
GLE 6.3s AMG
Exhaust G63 AMG

I’m also really disappointed with the exhaust system sound, Ive contacted my local BRABUS Dealer to have one fitted...

Personally I would not go outside of BRABUS to avoid the risk of voiding your warranty.

I’m having mine fitted in the next couple of weeks by BRABUS >>> so will upload a video.

My Overfinch sounds so much better than the G Wagon......

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0r7q7n67o7..._0855.MOV?dl=0

Last edited by YOYO898; 11-18-2019 at 05:03 AM.
Festertester (11-19-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 01:59 PM

Porsche Cayenne GTS
Hi Brad,

I am about 90% sure they did not touch the downpipes. I remember them saying they could not even really see the primary cats without taking stuff off, and didn't need to.

The shop was very comfortable with this mod, and it seemed very non-invasive.

Good luck.

Thanks,
Nick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2019 G63 New Exhaust - Anyone out there?