G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Newbie. G Purchase debate (17/18 G63)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 12:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 G63 Palladium Silver
Newbie. G Purchase debate (17/18 G63)

OK
I have always lusted after the G Wagon. Even looked at buying an older one overseas and bringing it over in the early 2000’s.
I decided to pass as I was getting an OLD one which did not have any real luxury features let alone ones I wanted or the converted ones were just out of my budget then.
Several cars later (2 Jeep JK UL Rubi’s 2.5 in OME lift etc, 3 BMW M3s, Infiniti G37XS Coupe, Audi A5 and currently an LX470)
I am BORED of the LX, I want newer creature comforts (bluetooth etc etc). Just had a meeting with my financial group and we got onto cars and my guy asked when I was going to get something new... I *****ed everything I wanted was more than I should spend etc and they just laughed at me! Told me I am WAY ahead of our game plan and to get over it and spoil myself already.
I debated getting a new Jeep Rubi UL and having AEV do their work to it but 80K tied up in a Jeep Wrangler? Ive debated the RR (big dog not sport) and it is BEAUTIFUL but I see at least 10 sports a day in my area and the resale SUCKS. I love the LX570, it’s AMAZING! So comfortable etc etc BUT the car is OLD, the engine is OLD! An older friend got his wife a 17 G550 and they LOVE it (she traded her Bentley Continental for it, HATED the Bentley??). It got me thinking and after talking to a friend who collects he told me step up and get the G63 not the G550. Better resale, sounds AMAZING etc etc. He knows I like loud cars LOL
Anyway I am looking at a 16, 17 or 18 leaning more towards 17 or 18 due to Apple Car Play (yeah that is stupid Im sure LOL)
But then I watch these STUPID YouTube video’s where people whine it’s all over the road, doesnt drive straight etc etc.
I realize this is not the comfort of an S class nor the handling of a 911. I am sure the ride is likely less comfortable than my LX470 but surely it has to be more comfortable than a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon? I have driven a couple but nothing extended or where Ive really gotten a feel (no one wants you to beat there car or be gone with it that long LOL).
Anyway I am here for the thoughts an opinions of real G owners not the YouTube commandos who got one for a review or who’ve only seen one in a parking lot LOL
This is going to be my daily driver, I will likely keep it 2 years. I put on around 12K a year and like to take one or two family trips a year to Northern Michigan (about a 3 hour drive). I have a 6 year old and I like a BIG heavy SUV for safety and getting him to school in the Michigan winters.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
I recommend renting one from Turo to get an extended test drive. I rented a 2015 from Hertz a while back that renewed my interested in G Wagen's and when I was more serious rented a 2017 from Sixt for a few days in Vegas.

I have never driven a Rubicon but plenty of JK Unlimited rentals and had a JK 2 door myself. I think the G drives similar but feels like a much heavier car. Steering is heavier, FEELS more comfortable but it might just be better seats and sound deadening? I think the JK (And im sure the JL) actually drives better in the sense that the wrangler feels more like a modern truck that the JL/JK are.

In my opinion, the two things that probably catch most people off guard are the really vague recirculating ball steering setup and the narrow cabin.

The steering is anything that a new car isn't - you just have to try it. Vague, wide turning radius, not self centering, heavy

The second is the car's small size, it is narrow and short but really tall, which gives most people the impression that it's big... it's not. This translates to missed expectations on interior space. It is real narrow in the classic 463 but with that you get AWESOME visibility, and it's awesome to drive in the city since it's so narrow (provided you have come to terms with the steering feel).

I think it's super cool and plan on keeping it until I can't for whatever reason- hence the 7 year warranty I got for my 2018. I don't daily drive mine and I personally would have something else if I had to drive a meaningful distance everyday. But for weekends and road trips, it's awesome.

Rent one on Turo!
The following 3 users liked this post by Holson:
Deutsch100 (05-06-2019), Pntblnk (05-05-2019), VinceAMG (05-06-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,486 Likes on 981 Posts
No more MB:(
I agree with Holson 100%. Drive one for a while and see if you like. It's different than anything else on the road or anything else you've driven for sure. I can see how some people keep theirs and some trade theirs back in. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's a helluva vehicle and nothing you drive feels the same. The steering can be heavy and on highway's you will find yourself constantly tugging back to center and the radius is terrible. Personally I don't find the cabin narrow or as tight as others. You do feel removed form he rest of the world in a good way, and that I like. I'll likely keep mine indefinitely.

Good luck, let us know.
The following 2 users liked this post by places:
Pntblnk (05-05-2019), VinceAMG (05-06-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 12:04 PM

There is nothing decent on Turo in Metro Detroit.
I will be in Las Vegas for 45 hours (QUICK business trip, perhaps I can find one)
BUT
I have NEVER not liked or found a “decent” car uncomfortable.
My first car was a new 89 Wrangler Islander, I have had 2 Door Tahoe’s, F150’s among several others and honestly I have never been uncomfortable expect when I borrowed my cousins LeMans or a Ford Focus loaner where the seats felt like cardboard LOL.
I have bought several cars without ever driving them or without much wheel time and have never been unhappy.
Only ? I have is does the G have ANY death wobble issues? As that was the ONLY issue I ever had in a car that scared me and made me want to sell it. I had it with BOTH of my Jeep JK’s (both bought new stock) and both had the issue at random times before ANY mods were done as well as after mods and of course Chrysler denied it for years, claimed to have fixed it yet I have started hearing of it in the new JL so that is a BIG part of what makes me want a G63 instead of getting an AEV Wrangler Rubicon. There are MANY other reasons Id rather the G but death wobble/safety as I have a 6 year old is a BIG part of it.

COLOR ?

I was looking at a matte Designo (they look so cool) BUT I read about upkeep and how hard it can be to have nicks and dings touched up.
Designo Black Opal and Designo Black Platinum. What is the difference??

It really looks like I can find a nice CPO 2018 under 15,000 miles for around 120K!

Last edited by WatchTimes; 05-05-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:39 PM

Also

Thoughts on the AMG Performance Steering Wheel?

Some 18’s have it, some don’t and just curious what is everyone’s opinion.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No wobble issues, over all pretty stable for a vehicle this tall and narrow. You definitely learn to take corners slowly as the physics of this beast mandate you do. I do get some vibration between 60-70mph on occasion. Not alignment or tire related as I had these items checked out twice. Evidently its not uncommon with G63's. Interestingly it stops after 65/70, although I don't recommend going faster, 70 feels like 90, the opposite of all other AMG vehicles. The aerodynamics are not very supportive of high speeds, wind resistance is quite apparent. Also, there is a difference in driving with a live axle, less forgiving and you feel everything. It's nothing like an independent suspension. Hence road feedback can be harsh at times. As for comfort, I can say without question I have no issues. The seats are very supportive and the cabin luxurious. It has everything I want. We drive our G to the coast (2.5 hours/140 miles) and enjoy every minute of it. Lots of fun driving.

As for the AMG steering wheel, I like it. Don't really see any negatives. While I don't use the paddle shifters that often (mostly in the city to keep it torquey), I really like the larger aluminum paddles as opposed to the smaller plastic ones.

I agree on the matte paint. Can't speak to the difference between the two blacks, perhaps others can.

Personally the one thing that stands out more than anything is the build quality. I think it's the best "built" MB vehicle period, not assembled. To each his own but that's the feeling I get and that's my opinion. Range Rover is the only comparable and the only common denominators are price and off road prowess. That's it. I've had full size RR and there is no real day to day comparison. G is in a class of its own.

Keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
Deutsch100 (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 09:13 AM

Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts
2018 G63 AMG x2, 2017 BMW M6
After 5 Range Rovers (4 full size and one Sport) and now on G-Class #10; I believe....the G and Range Rover are both VERY capable off roaders, which almost no one does You can watch tons of videos, and surprisingly the RR can do everything the G can do off road...but the G does it easier and feels more "natural" doing it.

The RR build quality and in my experiences, reliability was phenomenal (although the Sport was kind of a nightmare, total POS).

I agree 1,000,000% with PLACES! The build quality and feel of the 18 and older G-Wagens is unparalleled. Yes, the 2019 G has amazing tech and is flashy....but it is (sorry) an S-Class G-Wagen. The 2018 and older Gs are Gs, through and through. Nothing feels like them, and nothing ever will!

Our two 2018 Gs are supremely comfortable, and highway driving is not tiresome, and we never feel we have to fiddle with the steering wheel. It just goes! Seats are amazing, visibility is beyond amazing (Range Rover's Command seating position is almost as good) and as mentioned the 2018 and older G is narrow....so easy to park and so maneuverable in tight places.

Honestly, after 5 Range Rovers, countless MBZ, BMW, 3 Porsches, 5 Rolls-Royce and 5 Bentleys.....the G-Class is my FAV, with the Range Rover being #2. Our 3 Phantoms are our 3rd fav (but they are a lot of work)!

Get a G-Class...you will NOT regret it
places (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 12:29 PM

OK I really like the idea of a Matte paint BUT I am not going to get one as I said about after hearing more of the maint required and that you should not use cloth car washes..... The easiest car wash for me to hit on my way to work to get the Michigan winter salt off is not a touch less so that made the decision even easier.
I have found a 2018 CPO on the market which I REALLY like. It’s only a few hundred miles away (fly in to pick it up and drive home).
We are a ways apart on price BUT its been on their lot a few mths and I know the demand isn’t off the charts for the 2018 as the 19 is flowing in. My offer is a wire transfer/no financing so hopefully that motivates them to work with me.
I wanted a Palladium Silver Metallic or Tectite Gray but odds are I will end up with Obsidian Black. Most of the ones which fit in the price/mileage range I have in mind are one of the various MB blacks
I know what I am getting into, if I was looking for the most comfortable SUV made Id be debating a RR or LX570.’
But I want a beast that has an evil growl!!!
I also think I may have to get some BFG AT’s on it ASAP.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have palladium silver and love it. I lucked into it. Is this a dealer? If so cash is not a motivator as they like to make money on the finance. If it's private, disregard and yes its definitely to your favor(and theirs). Good luck!
Deutsch100 (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 12:57 PM

Yeah its a dealer and yes I know they likely make $ on financing but according to CarFax its been on their lot a couple mths already.
Pre owned 18’s do not seem to be selling quickly I think most people who want a used are not willing to spend the premium for an 18 and I think a lot of people want the 19’s.
I do like the idea of getting through a MB dealer and it being CPO BUT if I am most likely only keeping it two years perhaps CPO isn’t too important. I figure this will go one of three ways 1). Two years I will be sick of it and want something else. 2). I will love it and love the new ones even more and trade this for a newer G63. 3). Love it and realize the new G63 is not the beast the 18 and earlier is and end up just keeping the 18 long term and getting another car for my DD.
The following 2 users liked this post by WatchTimes:
Deutsch100 (05-06-2019), places (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 03:38 PM

Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts
2018 G63 AMG x2, 2017 BMW M6
Originally Posted by places
I have palladium silver and love it. I lucked into it. Is this a dealer? If so cash is not a motivator as they like to make money on the finance. If it's private, disregard and yes its definitely to your favor(and theirs). Good luck!
LOVE Palladium too! When I got my '18 63 I knew I had to have Iridium Silver. For a while it was one of the most rare colours (oddly). Not a single one last June in a 1000 mile radius. Oh, and I had to have diamond stitched classic red leather...I would not compromise on this (I would have been fine with Diamond Silver or Palladium, but the red leather was a must!). It popped up at our local MBZ dealer in Beverly Hills. Was meant to be.

Get the colour you WANT. Trust me. Every time you see a silver one or tectite gray...you will want it. There are plenty of Gs, you can wait!
places (05-06-2019)
Old 02-10-2020, 06:26 AM

Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
mclaren 720s
Originally Posted by WatchTimes
OK I really like the idea of a Matte paint BUT I am not going to get one as I said about after hearing more of the maint required and that you should not use cloth car washes..... The easiest car wash for me to hit on my way to work to get the Michigan winter salt off is not a touch less so that made the decision even easier.
I have found a 2018 CPO on the market which I REALLY like. It’s only a few hundred miles away (fly in to pick it up and drive home).
We are a ways apart on price BUT its been on their lot a few mths and I know the demand isn’t off the charts for the 2018 as the 19 is flowing in. My offer is a wire transfer/no financing so hopefully that motivates them to work with me.
I wanted a Palladium Silver Metallic or Tectite Gray but odds are I will end up with Obsidian Black. Most of the ones which fit in the price/mileage range I have in mind are one of the various MB blacks
I know what I am getting into, if I was looking for the most comfortable SUV made Id be debating a RR or LX570.’
But I want a beast that has an evil growl!!!
I also think I may have to get some BFG AT’s on it ASAP.
i ordered Matt black and had same concern but i am fully wrapping car with Xpel so i wont worry about using some car washes.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Are you shopping across generations? I believe 2018 is the new generation, and 2017 is the old generation. They are vastly different.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:32 PM

Received 312 Likes on 234 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
Originally Posted by Surge
Are you shopping across generations? I believe 2018 is the new generation, and 2017 is the old generation. They are vastly different.
2018 is the last year of the old generation.