G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Change fluids despite low mileage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2019 | 06:40 PM

Change fluids despite low mileage?

I've had my 2013 G550 for a couple years and at 29K total miles, only put 3K/yr on myself.
I do oil changes yearly and just did brake fluid.

MB schedule states I should do the following as the vehicle is ~7 year old.
What below is really needed? Will do it all i guess if time is just as important as total miles...:
thanks for the advice:

every 2yrs or 20K
Differential lock mechanism – oil change

every 5/50K
Oil change in front axle
Oil change in rear axle
Oil change in transfer case

every 6/60K
Replace fuel filter (G 550 only)
Replace spark plugs

every 7/70K
Automatic transmission – oil and filter change (engine 157)
Old 12-02-2019 | 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Why not do what's right ?

I have been exactly at the same Decision Point - and with each Mercedes at Decision Point - I found a competent MB Indie shop to do the Full Monty.

For you that would be A Service + and I would do All-Of-The-Above incl Tranny - and at 7yrs I would choose to install a Interstate replacement battery.

That's me - other's would choose to get Dealer Serviced - since a Service Invoice also extends MB Roadside Assistance by 18 months from that service date.

Heck - why worry or stress about it ?
Old 12-02-2019 | 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Why not do what's right ?

I have been exactly at the same Decision Point - and with each Mercedes at Decision Point - I found a competent MB Indie shop to do the Full Monty.

For you that would be A Service + and I would do All-Of-The-Above incl Tranny - and at 7yrs I would choose to install a Interstate replacement battery.

That's me - other's would choose to get Dealer Serviced - since a Service Invoice also extends MB Roadside Assistance by 18 months from that service date.

Heck - why worry or stress about it ?
yes good advice and good tip on the battery as well. living in the San Francisco Bay area I have not really found independent shops to really be much of a savings but I’m sure there’s some good ones which I am not aware of.

I raise the question as I have no issue with doing what’s right and spending as necessary for maintenance.
I would just hate to over service a vehicle as it’s not the best financially and for the environment as well :-)

since I plan to keep for at least three years or more I’ll probably just get it that’s all done unless others here chime in and say it’s an overkill for the mileage
Old 12-03-2019 | 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
It's never overkill to properly service a well cared for G-Wagon - sorry about Bay area service prices.... just don't let them "up-sell" you - like "injection flush" etc... if there is a retail auto parts store - buy/dump 1/2 bottle of Stabil Marine Fuel Stabilzer (Blue bottle) for like $12 bottle your area ($9 everywhere else).

"Financially" a well cared for 8-9-10 yr old well cared for G-Wagen has significant value - where most other makes/models don't
Old 12-03-2019 | 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
It's never overkill to properly service a well cared for G-Wagon - sorry about Bay area service prices.... just don't let them "up-sell" you - like "injection flush" etc... if there is a retail auto parts store - buy/dump 1/2 bottle of Stabil Marine Fuel Stabilzer (Blue bottle) for like $12 bottle your area ($9 everywhere else).

"Financially" a well cared for 8-9-10 yr old well cared for G-Wagen has significant value - where most other makes/models don't
Great.
Thanks for the validation everyone. Will get er done, as winter is here :-)

Old 12-03-2019 | 11:01 AM

Audi BMW Ferrari MB & RR
Always go by months, mileage or memory... The monthly interval, the mileage or if you can't remember if it was done then it has been too long.
Preventative maintenance is always less costly than deferred maintenance or repairs needed because of.