G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

First Time Off-road Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,468 Likes on 968 Posts
No more MB:(
First Time Off-road Questions

Taking the 2018 G off road for the first time this weekend. Nothing too extreme so I expect that I won't be pushing the truck to anything near it's limits. A couple questions regarding the differentials and low range.

1. I have read that the vehicle should be in motion and shifted to "N" in order to engage low range. Is this correct? Same process to disengage and return to high range? I have also seen video showing the vehicle can be at a standstill. Confused, standstill or in motion? Does it matter?

2. As for the differential locks, not sure I'll be using but good to know just in case. I understand the order, center, rear, and front. In order to activate/engage, is it similar to low range? Neutral, and in motion? Or neutral and at standstill? Also how to disengage?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-30-2020, 07:39 PM

Received 301 Likes on 130 Posts
2012 G550 - Capri Blue Metallic, 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 - Silver
  1. Ideally you want to be moving. Drive forward at between 5-10 mph (engine idle speed, or running speed), shift into Neutral, and then briefly (< 1 second) push down on the "Low Range" switch. Then shift back into Drive. You should see that you're now in Low Range on the dash. Reverse the process to get back into High Range - slow to 5-10mph, Neutral, and hit the switch. I don't believe it works while standing still, I've never done it that way and it's best to be moving slowly.
  2. That's the correct order, and why they're numbered that way. No need for Neutral, leave it in Drive, but again they work best if you're moving forward slowly and not at a standstill. It may take several seconds for them to engage, the yellow "request" light will come on, and then the red "engaged" light comes on once they're engaged. Just click again to disengage... if you've engaged more than just the center, clicking the center again will disengage them all at the same time, for example if you have them all engaged and are returning to pavement, you can just click the center diff button to disengage all the locks at the same time. Only use them in low-traction situations, never on pavement. Don't even use them in some offroad conditions where you still have good traction (e.g. dry slickrock)!
The one thing I learned about the diff locks was to use them quickly and sparingly. They are not something you really want to engage and keep active for a long time, in fact you engage and disengage them as-needed. The key is to anticipate the terrain ahead, and use them sparingly to help you progress through different conditions and obstacles. For example, you will find that you only really need the front diff lock when climbing a steep, low traction hill. Once you're up the hill, turn it off! Similarly for the other locks, keep them off or turn them off when not needed.

Here's some useful information for you: Mercedes G Wagon and Offroading Information

Last edited by Limey Hooligan; 04-30-2020 at 07:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Limey Hooligan:
almostordinary (05-01-2020), places (05-01-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 07:46 PM

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
2021 G550, BMW X5M, 2020 Toyota Supra LE
Originally Posted by places
Taking the 2018 G off road for the first time this weekend. Nothing too extreme so I expect that I won't be pushing the truck to anything near it's limits. A couple questions regarding the differentials and low range.

1. I have read that the vehicle should be in motion and shifted to "N" in order to engage low range. Is this correct? Same process to disengage and return to high range? I have also seen video showing the vehicle can be at a standstill. Confused, standstill or in motion? Does it matter?

2. As for the differential locks, not sure I'll be using but good to know just in case. I understand the order, center, rear, and front. In order to activate/engage, is it similar to low range? Neutral, and in motion? Or neutral and at standstill? Also how to disengage?

Thanks in advance!
1). My manual says the same thing about “being in motion” and in neutral. I just stop, put it in neutral and activate low range. Haven’t had an issue. (That is also how “normal” vehicles go into low range.

2). Correct on the order, center, rear, front. Vehicle does not need to be in neutral.

I typically I engage them at a slow speed driving forward and, at time in reverse, to get them to engaged.

To disengage you just do the opposite. Front, rear, center. Or just click the center and it should disengage all of the lockers. (At least that is what the manual says for an 08.). But you are always safe just disengaging the lockers in the opposite order that you locked them.

Make sure you are on a slippery surface when using them, especially the front locker!!

Don’t make any tight turns, especially on dry surface with them locked.

If this is your first time wheeling, I would just take it easy. If you get stuck, engage the center...still stuck engage the rear, etc... Once you get to know how the lockers work, you will know (or at least have a good feeling) as to when to engage them.

You shouldn’t ever be driving the length of the trail with everything locked.

I had a triple locked land cruiser in the past and did some pretty mean trails. I can remember about 2 times that I needed to engage the front locker. I. Those case it was for a very specific and small obstacle on the trail.

Good luck. Easiest and safest thing to do is don’t mess with the lockers unless you are in a low traction scenario.
The following 2 users liked this post by 084runnerltd:
fpimd (07-04-2020), places (05-01-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 10:10 PM

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts
2019 G550
Agree with most of the above.

Took my past ZR2 to Fins-N-Things in Moab. Did engage all 3 lockers (center/rear/front) to creep over some difficult ledges on the bone dry slick rock as opposed to spin the tires, bounce the suspension and break a control arm.

The slower you can complete the obstacle, typically the less potential damage done to your vehicle. Being able to clear obstacles at slower speeds is the real aim of lockers. Less need to use “momentum” or “bouncing” which can not only lead to a crash, but major stress on suspension components.

The three times I’d ever used the front locker on dry, sticky rock, it was maybe for a distance equal to the length of the wheel base; just enough to get my front and rear tires over the obstacle and I kept my front tires pointing straight ahead.

Last edited by BCMgunner; 04-30-2020 at 10:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
places (05-01-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 10:55 PM

BCM, I did Fins ‘n Things in the G as well, and had my lockers on for a few parts too. She didn’t like it much though, and the guys ahead could hear me coming since my tires were squealing so much as the wheels had grip and didn’t want to turn... Agree you can use them for quick periods of max traction, but as a rule you only want to use them when there is low traction. Like I said, biggest learning for me when I first started using them was only use them briefly as possible, and turn them off when not absolutely needed. 👍
places (05-01-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 11:36 PM

2019 G550
Originally Posted by Limey Hooligan
BCM, I did Fins ‘n Things in the G as well, and had my lockers on for a few parts too. She didn’t like it much though, and the guys ahead could hear me coming since my tires were squealing so much as the wheels had grip and didn’t want to turn... Agree you can use them for quick periods of max traction, but as a rule you only want to use them when there is low traction. Like I said, biggest learning for me when I first started using them was only use them briefly as possible, and turn them off when not absolutely needed. 👍
Very cool👍. I’d love to go back someday. I went in late July. Hot as heck but we pretty much had the trails to ourselves. What a quaint little town, what a breathtaking state.
places (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by BCMgunner
Very cool👍. I’d love to go back someday. I went in late July. Hot as heck but we pretty much had the trails to ourselves. What a quaint little town, what a breathtaking state.
Well let's go! Ha ha...
I'll be returning in early September for a few days, right now I'm planning on heading out from Texas in late August and doing some off-roading in northern NM, San Juan in CO, and the Moab area. Might even make it up to Yellowstone with time permitting.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:20 AM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
1999 E320, 2008 S550, 2016 G63 AMG
So for those who hardly or never engages the lockers....is it bad for the internal parts/gears/lubricants not getting a work out?
Old 05-02-2020, 11:40 AM

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
2021 G550, BMW X5M, 2020 Toyota Supra LE
Originally Posted by mrtonyn
So for those who hardly or never engages the lockers....is it bad for the internal parts/gears/lubricants not getting a work out?
I wouldn’t necessarily say it is bad if you never want to use the lockers, don’t care if they are functional, and don’t care if they work when you sell them.

Is it bad overall for the health of the lockers if you don’t use them, yes definitely.

I give mine a workout every couple of thousand miles. I don’t recall what the manual says, but my previous ride with full lockers from Lexus, stated to use them every so often to keep them functional.

Last edited by 084runnerltd; 05-02-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:37 AM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
1999 E320, 2008 S550, 2016 G63 AMG
I am thinking similar to your statement. I was told by MB mechanic that it was not needed to get a work out ..but I am not convinced on that suggestion.

We had a manual hub Toyota 4x4 and you are correct, they recommended the work out periodically.

I do not see this recommendation in MB manual either !
084runnerltd (05-05-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 07:09 PM

2019 G550
Well let's go! Ha ha...
I'll be returning in early September for a few days, right now I'm planning on heading out from Texas in late August and doing some off-roading in northern NM, San Juan in CO, and the Moab area. Might even make it up to Yellowstone with time permitting.
It made me happy reading this. We need more overlanders and off roaders around here. That sounds like a bucket-list kind of drive. I’d love to do that, and someday will return to Moab. My wife is due any day now, and both taking this trip with a baby or without my wife would be a no-go come September.

C240-Merc (11-14-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 08:04 PM

Received 310 Likes on 169 Posts
1987 Porsche 911. 2008 G55
Subscribing to this thread
084runnerltd (05-03-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 01:25 AM

Received 292 Likes on 194 Posts
‘13 911-4S, ‘21 CTR, '22 GT4, ‘19 G63
I tried it on my 19 g63..it felt super heavy. I then stopped and reversed the order. Just wanted to try it out...
C240-Merc (11-14-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks everyone for their input. Took the truck out on a trail yesterday in Virginia. Amazing time, lot's of mud and some rock crawl. Used low range a few times on some steeper climbs and locked the center and rear (briefly and quickly unlocked) on some rock climbs as well. Not sure if I needed to but I saw others in front getting stuck so I didn't want to take a chance. Just powered through. Also an opportunity to learn how to engage. Overall this truck is amazing, probably went nowhere near it's limits. Others were struggling at spots and for the G it was a walk in the park. All stock and with those dreaded summer tires!

I highly recommend to everyone that owns one of these amazing vehicles to explore what they were designed for.

The following 3 users liked this post by places:
084runnerltd (05-05-2020), C240-Merc (11-14-2020), Limey Hooligan (07-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 10:55 AM

Bravo! Truck looks amazing w that fresh coat of mud

Love seeing this! I've had mine for 2 days now and I've only been to a couple of desert roads out here in LA. Moving up north in a couple months and looking forward to doing some drive in camping and getting off the grid!
places (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 10:59 AM

Received 453 Likes on 274 Posts
2005 G55K
Originally Posted by places
Thanks everyone for their input. Took the truck out on a trail yesterday in Virginia. Amazing time, lot's of mud and some rock crawl. Used low range a few times on some steeper climbs and locked the center and rear (briefly and quickly unlocked) on some rock climbs as well. Not sure if I needed to but I saw others in front getting stuck so I didn't want to take a chance. Just powered through. Also an opportunity to learn how to engage. Overall this truck is amazing, probably went nowhere near it's limits. Others were struggling at spots and for the G it was a walk in the park. All stock and with those dreaded summer tires!

I highly recommend to everyone that owns one of these amazing vehicles to explore what they were designed for.
Awesome! Can you share where you went offroading/the route? Would be great to build up a list of great places to ditch the paved roads (especially on the east coast since good spots are few and far between)
Old 05-04-2020, 11:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Great traction with the lockers on in slippery conditions-this was fresh snow on fallen leaves. This was at Northeast Off Road Adventures in the Catskills.

The following 4 users liked this post by 1994E500:
084runnerltd (05-17-2020), C240-Merc (11-14-2020), Limey Hooligan (07-04-2020), places (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's near Harrisonburg VA. Flagpole Knob and Meadow Knob. There are a bunch of different trails, would definitely recommend going with someone knowledgeable with the terrain. There are a few spots (rocks) that are pretty technically challenging and you might want to avoid all together. Some you can get by with a spotter. I
Old 05-04-2020, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 1994E500
Great traction with the lockers on in slippery conditions-this was fresh snow on fallen leaves. This was at Northeast Off Road Adventures in the Catskills.
Awesome pic!
Old 05-04-2020, 12:10 PM

Nice 4X4 Squared! Good to see some folks going off-road, looking great!
I do get miffed sometimes of the disdain some people show for the G going offroad, since it has such a reputation as a celebrity "look at me" mobile. My friends think I'm the only one to ever go off-road in one. I'm getting some off-road Baja Design lights put on today at Starwood Motors in Dallas (Starwood Motors), and you can tell they question that I go off-road at all. Then you watch videos on YouTube on "the best 4WD vehicles you can buy" and there's no mention of the G Wagon at all.

It can be funny though, when you do show up on the trail and people are like "G Wagon.... did you take a wrong turn?" - as was said to me on the White Rim trail in Moab.

If you guys want to watch some extreme off-road action while stuck at home, the Aussies do it better than most. Here's a great channel to watch: 4WD Action Australia And the funny accent is a bonus...

Start with this one... 4WD Action - Glasshouse Mountains

Last edited by Limey Hooligan; 05-04-2020 at 12:36 PM.
almostordinary (05-04-2020), places (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nice 4X4 Squared! Good to see some folks going off-road, looking great!
I do get miffed sometimes of the disdain some people show for the G going offroad, since it has such a reputation as a celebrity "look at me" mobile. My friends think I'm the only one to ever go off-road in one. I'm getting some off-road Baja Design lights put on today at Starwood Motors in Dallas (Starwood Motors), and you can tell they question that I go off-road at all. Then you watch videos on YouTube on "the best 4WD vehicles you can buy" and there's no mention of the G Wagon at all.

It can be funny though, when you do show up on the trail and people are like "G Wagon.... did you take a wrong turn?" - as was said to me on the White Rim trail in Moab.

If you guys want to watch some extreme off-road action while stuck at home, the Aussies do it better than most. Here's a great channel to watch: 4WD Action Australia And the funny accent is a bonus...

Start with this one... 4WD Action - Glasshouse Mountains

I agree. These trucks are absolute beasts off road.It's a shame people don't really take the opportunity to enjoy them this way.

Yesterday, I was clearly the standout along with a buddies RR Sport SVR. The rest were mostly Jeeps with lifts etc.. The more seasoned guys stated they were completely impressed and surprised at the prowess of the G, and it was 100% stock.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by almostordinary
Bravo! Truck looks amazing w that fresh coat of mud

Love seeing this! I've had mine for 2 days now and I've only been to a couple of desert roads out here in LA. Moving up north in a couple months and looking forward to doing some drive in camping and getting off the grid!
You will love it. Especially if you engage the lockers, it's so powerful. Washing the mud off is half the fun also!
Old 05-12-2020, 08:21 PM

Came across the 'official' MB answer on use of the Transfer Case switch from the owner's manual for a '07 Wagon. Thought it might be of interest for folks.

mrtonyn (05-21-2020), places (05-12-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 10:09 PM

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
2010 G550 & 2019 S560
Well let's go! Ha ha...
Where specifically in northern NM and San Juan? I just took my 2010 G550 up to Yellowstone and hit 8 national parks in 7 days plus Moab (some nice off-roading sprinkled in between) and I'm looking to plan another one shortly...
almostordinary (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 10:27 PM

pics or it didn't happen!

Where did you travel from for the trek?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First Time Off-road Questions