G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Finally found My G - So It Begins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 11:16 AM

Received 310 Likes on 169 Posts
1987 Porsche 911. 2008 G55
@shiann man that's brutal!

When I was in NYC I always depended on the DMV to register my trucks. Since I moved out here to LA I decided to get AAA after one of my Land Rovers left me high and dry in the middle of I5 about 200 miles from home at 2a. I had to threaten to cancel Geico to get them to cover my full towing cost.

Then I bought my E63 and found out I could skip the DMV entirely for car registration, which has been a game changer for me! All I do now is get a smog check, bring that in with the Title to AAA and they get me a sticker on the spot. Not sure if your truck is a NJ truck. AAA can also issue plates as well.

May be worth a shot to avoid the DMV... which is an archaic waste of time.
The following users liked this post:
amgdvl (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML55, ML63, CLS63, GT (not yet ! ;) )
Originally Posted by almostordinary

When I was in NYC I always depended on the DMV to register my trucks. Since I moved out here to LA I decided to get AAA after one of my Land Rovers left me high and dry in the middle of I5 about 200 miles from home at 2a. I had to threaten to cancel Geico to get them to cover my full towing cost.

Then I bought my E63 and found out I could skip the DMV entirely for car registration, which has been a game changer for me! All I do now is get a smog check, bring that in with the Title to AAA and they get me a sticker on the spot. Not sure if your truck is a NJ truck. AAA can also issue plates as well.

same here.... moved from NY to CA ... and got AAA ... they are open... and do 80% of what DMV can do,
Old 07-08-2020, 01:23 PM

Received 454 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 G55K

Originally Posted by amgdvl
same here.... moved from NY to CA ... and got AAA ... they are open... and do 80% of what DMV can do,
I wish! NJ blames their old DMV computer system that they can't support satellite offices. There's one other half-shady option but I'm left with pretty much no choice now.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:27 PM

Time to go full shady! LOL
Old 07-11-2020, 01:37 PM

Knocked a few things out this morning.

1.) Noticed I was getting an ABS light warning, even when I first got the truck. I've had this happen on LR builds and even on my End 63, so I thought I was going to have to hunt down a speed sensor.... not a fun task without a scanner.

Finally had the time to tackle this morning.

Bought this scanner:
iCarSoft MBII
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015DNAMT2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015DNAMT2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ran codes for the ESP and got two faults for the steering angle sensor:

The Speed Sensors are insanely expensive in these trucks, and so is the steering angle sensor, upwards of $400.

I remembered an old trick I performed on my E63.

Turn the wheel full right, then full left and then center it. I did this after a quick drive around the block to trip the sensor and nothing happened.

I turned the car off, went inside to get ready to run to the hardware store for screws for my visors and as I backed out the ABS light tripped again.

So I figured, why not do the procedure in reverse gear while stationary. Turned the wheel full right, then full left and then centered it. Backed out of my driveway, the light was still on.

Pulled into a gas station to grab some water. Hopped back in the ABS light was off. Drove for about 5 miles, shopped, got back in drove another 5 miles... which all that driving would have the sensor react... and nada.

ABS due to the steering angle sensor successfully reset!! Win!

2.) Got screws that were about 8mm longer than the stock ones and had to carve some material out of the way, but finally have sun visors and my headliner and accessories transformation to black is complete. I may eventually buy a overhead lap unit and paint it black. But for now I'm finally done w that!

Limey Hooligan (07-12-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 02:46 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 G55 + others
looking sharp man.
almostordinary (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 03:03 PM

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
2021 G550, BMW X5M, 2020 Toyota Supra LE
Knocked a few things out this morning.

1.) Noticed I was getting an ABS light warning, even when I first got the truck. I've had this happen on LR builds and even on my End 63, so I thought I was going to have to hunt down a speed sensor.... not a fun task without a scanner.

Finally had the time to tackle this morning.

Bought this scanner:
iCarSoft MBII
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ran codes for the ESP and got two faults for the steering angle sensor:

The Speed Sensors are insanely expensive in these trucks, and so is the steering angle sensor, upwards of $400.

I remembered an old trick I performed on my E63.

Turn the wheel full right, then full left and then center it. I did this after a quick drive around the block to trip the sensor and nothing happened.

I turned the car off, went inside to get ready to run to the hardware store for screws for my visors and as I backed out the ABS light tripped again.

So I figured, why not do the procedure in reverse gear while stationary. Turned the wheel full right, then full left and then centered it. Backed out of my driveway, the light was still on.

Pulled into a gas station to grab some water. Hopped back in the ABS light was off. Drove for about 5 miles, shopped, got back in drove another 5 miles... which all that driving would have the sensor react... and nada.

ABS due to the steering angle sensor successfully reset!! Win!

2.) Got screws that were about 8mm longer than the stock ones and had to carve some material out of the way, but finally have sun visors and my headliner and accessories transformation to black is complete. I may eventually buy a overhead lap unit and paint it black. But for now I'm finally done w that!

I hope your issue is solved for good.

My ABS light has come on a few times, seems it is normally triggered when stationary (sitting in a drive through or parking lot with the car running). Whenever I turn the car off and back on, the light goes away.

I started out with the free (easiest) solution, which was trying to reset the steering angle sensor. I tried that process a few times, but never knew if I was successful, as the light rarely comes on and, as stated, disappears after restart. After trying that, I got the light again...

I then went with the cheapest solution, replacing the brake pedal sensor, it is about 20.00 and installed in about 25 minutes. I thought I had it solved.

Light came on again. With the original code reader that I had, I could never run codes after the light was on, as when I plugged it in, it would tell me to turn off the car for 10 seconds, thus erasing the code.

I purchased the icarsoft “professional” scanner. Ran for codes regarding abs and got nothing....

I am not sure if the code reader isn’t working, as when I scan the ABS codes (while driving), it shows all the wheels at a speed of zero...?

Now I am just waiting for the light to come on again so I can plug in the icarsoft reader, as it appears you don’t need to turn off the car to hook it up.

I will take another look, maybe I never ran ESP codes and that is why I never found anything....

Who knows my problem could be solved too, I am just too OCD with my vehicles and want to have a permanent fix.

Thanks for this thread, good stuff.

(I am hoping that your driver’s seat has some play in it and you post a diy on fixing it, as that is about the last item I need to resolve. Ok, I really hope you don’t have the driver’s seat problem...I just want to find a fix
The following 2 users liked this post by 084runnerltd:
almostordinary (07-11-2020), Limey Hooligan (07-12-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 04:40 PM

Ha!

Well I definitely have to eat my hat. The ABS light came back on. I did the SAS reset and it went off. Drove a bit and boom. Back on.

I am going to look at replacing the steering angle sensor and make a write up.... now I just want to source the least expensive one, as I realllly need to slow down on spending cash on this truck.

As for the passenger seat it's pretty easy to access all the bolts aside from the right rear, which requires you to take off the plastic cover for the electronics, which is a total PITA.

If it's the base of the seat just lift the carpet up, it actually comes right off the floorboard really easy and inspect the bolts. If it's the right rear... prepare to cut your fingers up taking off that cover.

I had to exacto the plastic "rivets" that were put on at the factory to get the plastic cover off.

If you do remove your seat to inspect it, there is a Male / Female connector that runs along the tranny tunnel inside the seat rail that you have to disconnect first... I didn't and had to re-wire the damn thing.

Yea the iCarsoft tool is a bit of a learning curve... in the LCD direction. It's not anything super advanced, so you need to slow your thought process down a bit to have it make sense.

I'll do a quick write up on how I found the code when I go in to tackle the steering angle sensor, which I will also document.

084runnerltd (07-12-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 04:51 PM

... Side note, I just read that you can actually clean the part as dust accumulates between the sensor over time.

I had a similar issue with my last Land Rover for the windshield wiper control.

I will give the cleaning method a shot. If it works, saved $400 and I can help someone do the same.

If it doesn't work, at least I will have practice taking it apart.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow and post my findings.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:52 PM

Ha!

Well I definitely have to eat my hat. The ABS light came back on. I did the SAS reset and it went off. Drove a bit and boom. Back on.

I am going to look at replacing the steering angle sensor and make a write up.... now I just want to source the least expensive one, as I realllly need to slow down on spending cash on this truck.

As for the passenger seat it's pretty easy to access all the bolts aside from the right rear, which requires you to take off the plastic cover for the electronics, which is a total PITA.

If it's the base of the seat just lift the carpet up, it actually comes right off the floorboard really easy and inspect the bolts. If it's the right rear... prepare to cut your fingers up taking off that cover.

I had to exacto the plastic "rivets" that were put on at the factory to get the plastic cover off.

If you do remove your seat to inspect it, there is a Male / Female connector that runs along the tranny tunnel inside the seat rail that you have to disconnect first... I didn't and had to re-wire the damn thing.

Yea the iCarsoft tool is a bit of a learning curve... in the LCD direction. It's not anything super advanced, so you need to slow your thought process down a bit to have it make sense.

I'll do a quick write up on how I found the code when I go in to tackle the steering angle sensor, which I will also document.
Sorry to hear the ABS light came back on, hopefully the cleaning works.

I have inspected all the connections/mounting points in regards to the seat and they all appear solid. I am starting to think that it is a spring that somehow was “blown out” or otherwise got disconnected at some point....

Agree with you on icarsoft, one of these days I just need to buy a good scanner. I know have about 7 cheaper ones that help out at times and other times are useless.
almostordinary (07-13-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 03:31 PM

Received 301 Likes on 130 Posts
2012 G550 - Capri Blue Metallic, 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 - Silver
Had something similar happen to mine last month... the SRS air bag system dash warning came on. Not the same thing, but my mechanic recommended that I replace the steering control module which cost around $385. I wouldn't have thought that was related, but it seems to have taken care of the issue.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:15 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Volt
Cleaning is free. On my Volt the mode selection stopped working. I couldn't get it out of electric mode and into mountain mode. 98k miles on it. NFW did I want to take the car to a "mechanic" and spend money hand over fist until they replace all the wrong parts to find the right one to replace. So I popped the button cover off, blew inside and it has worked ever since.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:11 PM

Well went the cleaning route and the steering angle sensor is even worse off now

The ABS light comes on the second you touch the wheel.

So I bought a new SAS, $450 good bye!

Quick question, anyone have a blown out diagram of the pieces that go to the steering wheel?

First: I ask because there is a wire that I accidentally broke a connector on. May replace the connector since it's easy enough, but would love to just replace the wire.

Second: There's a part that has some grease and a ribbon that turns, there was a lot of dust on that part as well, might as well swap that out too so I never have to go back in the steering wheel.

Side note, finally ordered new Bilsteins for my E63, as I had to finally drive the old girl last week and the suspension is toast. Another $2500.

Annnnd I think I am going to take on building a project Triumph TR6 once I relocate to Seattle in September (Going to do a restomod and have the first 2J single turbo build), just have to find a good candidate.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2020, 07:05 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 G55 + others
Well went the cleaning route and the steering angle sensor is even worse off now

The ABS light comes on the second you touch the wheel.

So I bought a new SAS, $450 good bye!

Quick question, anyone have a blown out diagram of the pieces that go to the steering wheel?

First: I ask because there is a wire that I accidentally broke a connector on. May replace the connector since it's easy enough, but would love to just replace the wire.

Second: There's a part that has some grease and a ribbon that turns, there was a lot of dust on that part as well, might as well swap that out too so I never have to go back in the steering wheel.

Side note, finally ordered new Bilsteins for my E63, as I had to finally drive the old girl last week and the suspension is toast. Another $2500.

Annnnd I think I am going to take on building a project Triumph TR6 once I relocate to Seattle in September (Going to do a restomod and have the first 2J single turbo build), just have to find a good candidate.

Thanks!
the ribbon piece is probably the clockspring.
almostordinary (07-19-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lawrence1
the ribbon piece is probably the clockspring.
That's exactly what it is. Now I just have to scour the internet to find the part number. I'm sure the W463 variant will easily be $100 more than any of the others

I'm going to re-run the codes tomorrow to see if this is fouling out as well. It wasn't as dusty as I imagined it would be in there, but there was some fine white soot that accumulated over the years.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:03 PM

Found the clockspring part and ordered from FCP Euro, figure I'll do both at the same time to not have to go back in there, and if I do I'll have a lifetime warranty.

Part Number for the Clock Spring: 171-464-09-18

Old 07-21-2020, 09:56 PM

Received my tow hitch today.

The thing is heavy duty and quality made.

Did some searching and read reviews and this is likely made in the same shop as Curt trailer shop for $200 less
Class 3 Tow Hitch: $110
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Class-3-***...72.m2749.l2649

Ponied up for the G-Wagon Accessories trailer wiring:
https://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/p...2e55d6c0&_ss=r

Installing this weekend.

Good god was this thing heavy...

The space to get your hands in the spaces to bolt this thing up are super slim, luckily I had a transmission jack from swapping out the transfer case on my old land rover.

Tools needed below:
16mm deep socket
Swivel joint, there's no getting around not having this for this job
long extensions and lots of em
band aids

Use a tranny jack to get the hitch in position (you could probably use a floor jack w some wood, but you may want another hand for that)
Align the 4 bolts that mount the main plate first, but super loose.
Then adjust to get the bolts for the vertical pillars, this takes some patience.

The space tolerance is soo damn slim in there will leave with bruised wrists from fighting the fuel tank cover. But it's doable.

I just ordered a license plate bracket for the rear to raise the plate up by 10mm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BZO4KAQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BZO4KAQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hoping to find a project or close to complete TR6 in the coming months and likely going to need to tow it, so figured I would get this truck prepped.

On a down note, I did find some very minimal rust on the bottom of the rear door. Going to get that addressed in the coming months.

Upward and onward!
The following 3 users liked this post by almostordinary:
084runnerltd (07-22-2020), shiann (07-21-2020), TTL703 (09-06-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 06:09 PM

Received 454 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 G55K
Looks Great!

Still just planning on renting a trailer for the bike pickup or buying one? How' the garage situation looking like after you move up the coast? I'm in the process of house shopping in NJ so looking forward to having a garage.

How's the iCarSoft scanner? I've been reading up on which one to get that goes beyond the basic OBDII functions.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:24 PM

I got the iCarsoft below, it's fantastic. A bit archaic in use, but it goes through all of the electrical systems in the truck. Hoping to use in on my E63 this weekend when I replace the airmatic shocks up front.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015DNAMT2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015DNAMT2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Locked in a nice 1930s house in Seward Park in seattle. The garage is tiny, the only thing I hate about the house really. But it's a rental until we fully explore Seattle, or we may pivot and move to Vancouver since my wife's family is from Victoria.

The garage is key, on a side note a good buddy of mine who's big in the film world has me reallllly thinking about property in Idaho.

Take a look at this!
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...ource=txtshare

As far as trailers are concerned, likely renting one. I may be changing my project from a CX500 Cafe build to a TR6 to wrench on and eventually do a small single turbo 2JZ build.

But if this "work remote" thing becomes ever green, I may be an Idahoan lol

Good luck w the house hunt!
The following 2 users liked this post by almostordinary:
Floobydust (07-22-2020), shiann (07-23-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 11:54 PM

Where does the wiring for the trailer exit the vehicle?

Mine has a trailer hitch, but after taking a quick glance under the truck, I didn’t see any wires...

I am hoping there are down there somewhere...
Old 07-23-2020, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by 084runnerltd
Where does the wiring for the trailer exit the vehicle?

Mine has a trailer hitch, but after taking a quick glance under the truck, I didn’t see any wires...

I am hoping there are down there somewhere...
Wiring the quite expensive, but impressive harness supplied by GWagonaccessories

Here's the wiring location for pre 2014 trucks
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/11...38912371254699

The following 2 users liked this post by almostordinary:
084runnerltd (07-23-2020), Floobydust (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
I went with the GWagonaccessories harness on my'03 and it worked perfectly!
almostordinary (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 05:26 PM

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts
Current: 2020 G63, 2013 G550, Bentley Continental GT Speed
I got the iCarsoft below, it's fantastic. A bit archaic in use, but it goes through all of the electrical systems in the truck. Hoping to use in on my E63 this weekend when I replace the airmatic shocks up front.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Locked in a nice 1930s house in Seward Park in seattle. The garage is tiny, the only thing I hate about the house really. But it's a rental until we fully explore Seattle, or we may pivot and move to Vancouver since my wife's family is from Victoria.

The garage is key, on a side note a good buddy of mine who's big in the film world has me reallllly thinking about property in Idaho.

Take a look at this!
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...ource=txtshare

As far as trailers are concerned, likely renting one. I may be changing my project from a CX500 Cafe build to a TR6 to wrench on and eventually do a small single turbo 2JZ build.

But if this "work remote" thing becomes ever green, I may be an Idahoan lol

Good luck w the house hunt!

Seward Park is a nice area, I live just across the lake (Mercer Island)

We should really have a Seattle area G-wagen meet up...seems to be a few owners here on the forum and would be nice to meet up...
almostordinary (07-23-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 01:19 PM

Alright!

Fully rebuilt the steering column. And no more ABS warning!

I took a ton of photos to make a walkthrough, but these videos were what I used to do this job.

Was pretty straight forward and zero codes. Replaced the steering angle sensor as well as the clock spring.

Now I have to hunt down the SRS issue I am having when my wife hops into the passenger seat. Wondering if it's just the weight sensor.

Hoping to diagnose this weekend and nail it down so I can prep the truck for my upcoming trek up the PCH.
084runnerltd (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 01:42 PM

Alright!

Fully rebuilt the steering column. And no more ABS warning!

I took a ton of photos to make a walkthrough, but these videos were what I used to do this job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhFR87UEd6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9157S7nTaos

Was pretty straight forward and zero codes. Replaced the steering angle sensor as well as the clock spring.

Now I have to hunt down the SRS issue I am having when my wife hops into the passenger seat. Wondering if it's just the weight sensor.

Hoping to diagnose this weekend and nail it down so I can prep the truck for my upcoming trek up the PCH.
👍🏼 How long did it take you?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally found My G - So It Begins