G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Coolant under Driver Wheel well

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG G63 & C63S
Coolant under Driver Wheel well

I have a 2016 AMG G63 with the BITURBO. Wife went to drive it this morning and I noticed a puddle of red coolant behind drivers side front tire... maybe 3/4 of cup of fluid, hard to say though. Soaked it up with 2 paper towels. Wife called right away and said "Low Coolant Light" was on. Temp gauges are fine, she said. She's only going about 10 miles round trip. I have searched forums and can't find this, so any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.
Upon further review, the leak is coming from under the center of the radiator area at the front of the engine bay. It's dripping pretty good now that it is back in the garage after a short drive. The puddle must've run over to the area behind the tire.
Making appointment now to get into the dealer. Fortunately, it is under warranty.

Last edited by AMG 63 x 2; 06-01-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:40 PM

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
mercedes g63
Originally Posted by AMG 63 x 2
I have a 2016 AMG G63 with the BITURBO. Wife went to drive it this morning and I noticed a puddle of red coolant behind drivers side front tire... maybe 3/4 of cup of fluid, hard to say though. Soaked it up with 2 paper towels. Wife called right away and said "Low Coolant Light" was on. Temp gauges are fine, she said. She's only going about 10 miles round trip. I have searched forums and can't find this, so any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.
Upon further review, the leak is coming from under the center of the radiator area at the front of the engine bay. It's dripping pretty good now that it is back in the garage after a short drive. The puddle must've run over to the area behind the tire.
Making appointment now to get into the dealer. Fortunately, it is under warranty.
Have it delivered to dealer by flatbed. Do not drive. Low coolant and no coolant is a quick recipe for a blown engine—-
Old 06-01-2020, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG G63 & C63S
Originally Posted by CDHG63
Have it delivered to dealer by flatbed. Do not drive. Low coolant and no coolant is a quick recipe for a blown engine—-
Totally. Called my local MB dealer ship in Sarasota and they immediately sent out a flatbed truck to get it and they are fixing it tomorrow. YAY for Mercedes Benz service. My Porsche dealer would've made me wait 2 weeks to even look at one of their cars. LOL
Old 06-01-2020, 05:15 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 G55 + others
Originally Posted by AMG 63 x 2
Totally. Called my local MB dealer ship in Sarasota and they immediately sent out a flatbed truck to get it and they are fixing it tomorrow. YAY for Mercedes Benz service. My Porsche dealer would've made me wait 2 weeks to even look at one of their cars. LOL
Hopefully you didn't damage anything ... i would not have driven the car on a "short trip" with low coolant.