G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Rigd Ultra Swing Multi-fit Review (spare tire carrier)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 10:00 PM

Received 62 Likes on 19 Posts
2006 G55
Rigd Ultra Swing Multi-fit Review (spare tire carrier)

Thought I would do a short review of hitch spare tire carrier, RIGD Ultra Swing Multi-fit. As advertised by the manufacturer, the fit is amazing and there is zero wobble. The install was simple, about 30-45 mins with common tools. Since this was their newest model, it came with the new handle for the tension clamp and also a license plate relocation kit. As you can see from the pics below, it is able to carry up 35 inch tire ( this model, their mega swing model can carry up to 37 inch tire I believe). This kit will be perfect for those who worry about the extra plus size tire and wheel possibly over stressing the rear door mount ( factory). Also for those who desire to carry extra stuff like I do (see pics). Here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
1 - Fit and finish is top notch. The dura coating and parts used are top notch.
2 - Zero wobble.
3 - License plate relocation kit.
4 - Heavy duty, easily carry up to 35 inch tire, max trax, rotopax and trasharoo…. and more.
5 - the tire sits lower than factory, better rear view.
6 - the carrier opens away from the rear door and gives plenty room. Also the hitch beam serves as a good solid stepping spot to reach the RTT. I am short so this is a big deal.
7 - Double safety pin design. No way for this to come unintentionally loose with the safety pin in place.

Cons:
1 - Can’t get to the back storage unless you open the tire hitch each time.
2 - the spare tire sits lower than before, it “could” be an issue on departure angle for some?
3 - the spare tire sits lower than before so it trips the backup sensor.
4 - Pricing. Not a cheap mod but I am happy with it so far.

The following 2 users liked this post by VaderOne:
JACWAGN (07-09-2021), shiann (06-20-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 08:14 PM

Received 301 Likes on 130 Posts
2012 G550 - Capri Blue Metallic, 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 - Silver
Man, you are getting equipped out to the max...
I think you picked about the only solution available for an alternative rear tire carrier. I came close to fitting a rear bumper tire and fuel carrier, but found out from some reliable sources that the G rear bumper mounts weren't designed to carry that kind of load. So I think you've done about the only thing possible for something like this without major frame welding activity.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:53 PM

Received 62 Likes on 19 Posts
2006 G55
Hi Limey,

Yes, the wagon is gaining some weight and now I am bit worried about her GVW. In addition she is one thirsty gal so I need some additional fuel on hand to reduce my low fuel anxiety. I tried the roof top rack with rotopax but my vertically challenge self found that to be not workable nor safe. I also tried the spare tire mount with the extra fuel but didn’t feel good about the factory door mount taking all that weight. So here I am for now. I did some eastern OR exploration (Steens Mountain and Alvord desert) where fuel can be very challenging to find. So, for now I think I am just waiting for ORC rear sway bar kit to remedy the rear “happiness” and I think I am good to go. For now……
The following users liked this post:
Limey Hooligan (06-23-2021)