G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Vibration help 2014 G63 during 60 mph +

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 05:54 PM

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts
G63/RR LWB/W222 S550
Vibration help 2014 G63 during 60 mph +

About a year ago my G was involved in a accident where it ran off the road and suffered front undercarriage damage. It took the body shop and dealer almost a year to get everything as factories were closed parts were back ordered.

So my G doesn’t vibrate or have any problems until you pick up speed. After 60 mph the steering wheel wobbles (you can see it wobbling like side to side)and shakes a lot. I feel the vibration under the seat it also.

Too many parts have been replaced including all the front arms and ball joints, the stabilizer bar, the axle carrier, one axle and a few other pieces I am forgetting.

There is NO clunking or rattling noise. The handling is precise and no problems with that. It’s just vibration is really bad after 60 mph. Driving in the city and local driving you wouldn’t be able to tell. No problems at all turning or with steering.

Tomorrow I am going back to the shop to get a alignment and road force balance the wheels as the truck was sitting for almost a year while all these parts were being replaced.

can the drive shaft cause problems with vibration at high speed?

I am hoping a alignment and wheel balance will eliminate most of the vibration. I am just planning on what else might be wrong for future case.

I am and was running 30MM spacers. After the accident the front left wheel was damaged. The spacer is still the same from the accident. They said it’s not damaged. Would it be wise to replace this still?

BTW- I don’t trust this dealer. This dealer managed to milk my insurance company for almost 20k JUST to replace the ECU and a engine harness. They claim that during accident this is very easily damaged due to the ground. Basically what was happening was a CEL wouldn’t go away for some “ground wire” so they said rather “chasing down the ground wire” it’s better to replace just everything. So they had to order a whole new ECU and redo the harness.

Last edited by simandang; 08-29-2021 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
Ah, welcome the to G-wagen wobble of death. A vibration like you describe is a well known issue and 99% of the time, it is a tire issue. Your tires may have flat spotted due to sitting for so long. Get the road force balance and get a report - all tires should be less the 20 lbs. Have the tire shop check the tire tread for true running, bubbles, etc. Remove the spacers and see if it runs true, Make sure the steering damper was replaced if damaged. If that doesn't do it, replace the tires (yes, really).

An alignment on a G is a bit like lighting a candle in a hurricane. There is only one thing that is adjustable (toe) which will only affect your tire wear and center steer.

As for spacers, it would be unlikely they would be damaged, but the extra bearing load can cause issues. I had them on my G until I discovered they cause excessive bearing play to develop. Caveat Emptor on these things.

And your dealer is so full of sh*t his eyes are brown. Total BS on the ECU/harness thing. Just profiteering at the expense of the insurance company.

Last edited by Floobydust; 08-29-2021 at 09:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
places (08-30-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 G63
Vibration

Originally Posted by simandang
About a year ago my G was involved in a accident where it ran off the road and suffered front undercarriage damage. It took the body shop and dealer almost a year to get everything as factories were closed parts were back ordered.

So my G doesn’t vibrate or have any problems until you pick up speed. After 60 mph the steering wheel wobbles (you can see it wobbling like side to side)and shakes a lot. I feel the vibration under the seat it also.

Too many parts have been replaced including all the front arms and ball joints, the stabilizer bar, the axle carrier, one axle and a few other pieces I am forgetting.

There is NO clunking or rattling noise. The handling is precise and no problems with that. It’s just vibration is really bad after 60 mph. Driving in the city and local driving you wouldn’t be able to tell. No problems at all turning or with steering.

Tomorrow I am going back to the shop to get a alignment and road force balance the wheels as the truck was sitting for almost a year while all these parts were being replaced.

can the drive shaft cause problems with vibration at high speed?

I am hoping a alignment and wheel balance will eliminate most of the vibration. I am just planning on what else might be wrong for future case.

I am and was running 30MM spacers. After the accident the front left wheel was damaged. The spacer is still the same from the accident. They said it’s not damaged. Would it be wise to replace this still?

BTW- I don’t trust this dealer. This dealer managed to milk my insurance company for almost 20k JUST to replace the ECU and a engine harness. They claim that during accident this is very easily damaged due to the ground. Basically what was happening was a CEL wouldn’t go away for some “ground wire” so they said rather “chasing down the ground wire” it’s better to replace just everything. So they had to order a whole new ECU and redo the harness.

I have a 2015 g63; i had a vibration at high speed also, no accidents though. I took car to MB, and the Tech told me that it was the stabilizing bar. He said this was a common problem with the G-wagen and may have to replace every 2 or 3 years or so. He told me if you run over a bump it will go back into place which it does and the truck rides smooth again.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,468 Likes on 968 Posts
No more MB:(
I have the same wobble of death. Quite common, mine exists from 60-70mph and the dissipates. Sometimes a simple adjustment in tire pressure can help alleviate the problem but it comes back. You get used to it. Just another quirk that makes the G experience unique
Old 08-30-2021, 11:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 S550, 2004 G500, 2020 Cayenne
It happens whenever I get new tires which has nothing to do with the actual wobble, it's about the wheel balancing.
The road force balancing would take care of that wobble, however, it really needs a good machine and a better technician.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:01 PM

G63/RR LWB/W222 S550
First I would like thank each of you with your suggestions and tips. I do know the G has a “unique” drive. It’s also been almost a year since I was in any G I guess somethings are just the nature of the beast. I managed to get the issue fixed 50% and here’s what it was.

I took the G to one of my old old tuner shops that I haven’t been to in a while.

Long story short my front left tire which was brand new is totally out of round. It’s so bad that it shook the machine it was on while trying to be balanced. Another surprise my front right rim has a huge bend. It also shook the machine it was that bad. I ordered a new tire and the wheel will be getting fixed, apparently in terms of repairability it was a “small/minor bend”. I’m on the hunt for a used 20” matte black chrome lip in the meantime. With just the rears balanced properly the vibration/bad drive is already gone 50%. I will update with final resolution once the new tire and wheel is fixed and both properly balanced. I am also going to get a alignment again at that time to try to fix the steering.

Side note I can’t believe even with 285/55 AT tires I managed to bend one of these wheels. In my all cars only the AMGs cars wheels have cracked or bent. Then again NYC roads are the worst in the wirleZ Next time I’m definitely NOT going to skip on that tire and rim plan let me tell you that 😂

thanks again for all the help keep y’all updated

Last edited by simandang; 08-30-2021 at 08:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gene Gorman (09-21-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
My G550 does this too and I also think it’s the tires too - flat spotted from not getting driven much. It goes away after more frequent drives. OEM Pirelli 275/55/19s

I used to have the dealer do alignments and balance but have started taking it to the neighborhood Chevy dealer that services many heavy duty trucks with big tires and solid axles front and back. It’s been good and they are much quicker and cheaper than the Benz dealers. the techs are also more used to similar trucks than MB dealers
Old 09-01-2021, 02:20 PM

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 S63 4D, 2015 G63, 2017 Macan Turbo, 2001 M5
I had the wobble as well but it turned out to be low tire pressure on one of the front tires.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:35 PM

G63/RR LWB/W222 S550
So to update I got the new tire installed and the bent wheel fixed. All was well after that. The shop told me the other front tire also had a shimmy and is flat spotted. So I ordered another a tire.

While waiting to get that installed the vibration was pretty much 90% better. It only vibrated at 85+. Anything under that was A1. I was happy for the last two weeks.

So I got the second tire installed this Saturday and it’s vibrating worse again. Now the vibration is felt at 60 mph and I feel it under my seat. I am going to try to get the front wheels balanced again it’s possible the shop didn’t put the second new tire on properly.

Hopefully that fixes it if not I’m done diagnosing this and will just get a new set of wheels and tires in the winter. The truck is barely driven 1-2 times max a week for short drives if that.

I’m over this issue.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 G63
hi all. I have a 2013 g63. I actually just bought it. Seemed to drive ok, but then after i bought it within minutes i started feeling it shake. I called sales guy, he says "no problem, bring it back and we will take care of it".
The first time i noticed was on the freeway going about 60. But i slowed down and it was going at 50 too.

It will actually shake at 20 to 30 too... really, it seems to shake at all different speeds. If im turning it might shake more. Sometimes it wont shake at all. If i press hard on gas, with a lot of acceleratoin, i dont feel a shake much at all.

I took it to the shop where I purchased and they dont see anything with the suspension. nothing is loose. They said the alignment seems fine, the tires seem to still have the balancing weights on and look ok.

Any bright ideas out there? I asked them if they checked the steering stabilizer and they said "it looked good" but they didnt take it off to test. A mechanic that works on higher end cars quite a bit was looking at it for about an hour trying to find a problem... and they concluded there is "nothing wrong". LOL. The shake is obvious, but they are saying all suspension looks ok.

Im a bit perplexed. Any great ideas out there?

Casey
Old 04-22-2024, 07:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
C300 Sport
Couple things that will cause shake (aka death wobble). Steering stabilizer, tie rod ends or loose wheel bearings. The one that is obvious "play" is the steering stabilizer. Steering stabilizer costs a little over $100 and depending on your mileage, just might make good sense to replace

Last edited by 95_993; 04-23-2024 at 06:22 AM.