G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Black Magno paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G Class
Black Magno paint

I have purchased my first G400D, hopefully one of many in my lifetime, I decided to go for the Black Magno same as the one in the picture below. Is there anything I need to know about this paint? Clearly you can't polish it, right? Has anyone had this type of paint and could spare a few points to be mindful of.

Old 12-05-2021, 09:01 AM

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
G63, G65
Congrats on your new G! We went with Black Magno on my wife's G63, and I was concerned at first about it being tough to care for, but it hasn't been bad. You are correct, do NOT try and polish it. You will ruin your paint job. Here are some things I did, and the paint looks as good a year later as it did when new:
  • Buy a dedicated wash mitt for just your G Wagon. If your truck is really dirty make sure to thoroughly rinse you mitt after you use it.
  • Get a foam cannon for your pressure washer and buy dedicated matte paint soap (I use the one from Chemical Guys).
  • Get a dip bucket to rinse your wash mitt as you clean.
  • If you don't go with a foam cannon, get a two bucket set up for washing. One for soap, one for rinse between soaping. This helps keep dirt out of the "clean" soap bucket so you aren't dragging dirty water across your paint each time you dip.
Doing those things has helped keep any scratches or swirl marks from embedding in the paint. I also make sure to immediately remove any bird droppings that get on the truck. I keep a bottle of water and a microfiber towel in the truck so this can always be done as soon as possible.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-05-2021, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G Class
That is such good news! I was worried that I had chosen the wrong paint thinking it would be extreme maintance.

These are amazing tips, I will write them down so I don't forget
Old 01-29-2023, 11:08 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2013 c63 AMG P30 Coupe
Why do you want the secondary cats back on? Legal reasons, or it's too loud for your taste?
Old 01-30-2023, 06:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 203 Posts
Built 2008 G55 & one big 80 Series LandCruiser !
Great looking rig !

On our Magno's ( matte Grey) we used Dr Beasely's products and much of the process/methods Butcher suggested...... other then silver I found it one of the easier colors to keep looking clean... should you need to repair anything be sure to find a really good shop with experience.... not all shops can get it right.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mercedes Benz G500
truck I'll soon own has been repainted from its original silver paint to matte gray (not sure if it was the MB factory spec or not as I have nothing to compare it to in person) and in researching about maintenance on matte paint (never owned a vehicle with this finish and I'm an avid fan of detailing vehicles...) there is not much to do than just "be on top of it" with regular washing. Most important thing is not to purchase soap that contains any kind of wax in it and make sure that no dirty rags rub the surface. Besides the brands already mentioned, another brand often came up during my research: GYEON.