G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

W463 - 1995 - Water in Footwell - Need help narrowing down the cause

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 Coupe PP
Question W463 - 1995 - Water in Footwell - Need help narrowing down the cause

Hello dear G-Community,

I've been with MBworld for quite some time and now I've ended up in your area , since I bought a W463 - 1995 - G320 (petrol).

I practically "bought" a list of defects and am now trying to eliminate them successively and hope that you
you can help me with one or the other problem

Current problem:

- Water in the footwell (driver and front passenger)
- When does the problem arise: when driving in the rain for a long time/car wash. Hardly / not really reproducible with the garden hose

- The classics
- I can rule out windshield wiper shafts / windshield frames, as I was able to remove the speedometer and passenger fittings to see that everything there is dry so far

- My guess passenger side
- Door seals / The spray film behind the door panel
- Please also see pictures

- My guess driver side
- ....no idea
- you can see that the water drips onto the hood release switch and there 2 cables get soaked. Could that be from the door/side?
- See also pictures

- Do you have any experiences/ideas that could help me narrow it down? Of course, I will also share my experiences in the context of maintenance here.

Kind regards & Thank you

Old 05-22-2023, 07:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,931 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by DaDon
Hello dear G-Community,

I've been with MBworld for quite some time and now I've ended up in your area , since I bought a W463 - 1995 - G320 (petrol).

I practically "bought" a list of defects and am now trying to eliminate them successively and hope that you
you can help me with one or the other problem

Current problem:

- Water in the footwell (driver and front passenger)
- When does the problem arise: when driving in the rain for a long time/car wash. Hardly / not really reproducible with the garden hose

- The classics
- I can rule out windshield wiper shafts / windshield frames, as I was able to remove the speedometer and passenger fittings to see that everything there is dry so far

- My guess passenger side
- Door seals / The spray film behind the door panel
- Please also see pictures

- My guess driver side
- ....no idea
- you can see that the water drips onto the hood release switch and there 2 cables get soaked. Could that be from the door/side?
- See also pictures

- Do you have any experiences/ideas that could help me narrow it down? Of course, I will also share my experiences in the context of maintenance here.

Kind regards & Thank you

You said not the windshield gasket, but the cars are known for leaks in this area. Check again.

Sliding roof drain.

Cowl drain at base of windshield.

Door seals at a-pillar.

Water is coming from above the location you found it. Look up.