G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

EBC Red brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 03:43 PM

Received 127 Likes on 85 Posts
E55
EBC Red brakes

So I was told my G63 needed brakes having the orig at 40k. Dealer couldnt get rear pads and asked if I wanted aftermarket?

I haven't done brakes in years but was feeling mechanically inclined (many year ago I was an ASE certified mechanic) and found EBC red pads and said let me throw them on.

Upon removing the pads they had plenty of life left in them which I wasnt happy about and figured let's measure the rotors as they had no scouring or visible defects. They measured almost new so why not just throw the cheap pads on and see how they do as it was $300 vs $3k.

EBC Red pads have what they claim as a break in compound on them.

I have to tell you I was amazed at how well this break in layer worked. It not only cleaned up the rotors but also left an almost complete layer across teh surface of the rotors which then burnt off after appox 75 miles.

Orighinal pads were mildly aggressive and these have great initial bite and at medium stops grip a bit better than stock. I am impressed at the quality of teh pads themselves as they were installed without any squeal compound just some grease where needed. I am a lunatic and spend about 30 minutes on each caliper cleaning, filing and making all mating surfaces are surgically clean. Otherwise its a 20 min job per wheel.

Best part is the backing of the pads are bright red like my G63 calipers. Just giving people options to the very expensive OEM
The following users liked this post:
Hershey (06-07-2023)