G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

DIY 2016 G 550 door lock actuator replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
997.2 4S / B5 S4
DIY 2016 G 550 door lock actuator replacement

Limited data on the web that I could found. So here's the write up for the passenger door.

part number 0048202542 $115 from FCP Euro (I think they do lifetime replacement on their parts)

Need
zip ties
Small Phillips screw driver
t20 torx
t27 torx (I think. I used a 25 and it was a little small)
trim removal tool (plastic blade / wedge)
knife and scissors

Unscrew door lock knob and remove. Keep in up position. Mine was really difficult to remove, but only that one - other doors where fine.

remove two small screws t20 torx on bottom of door.

pop off cover with trim tool in door handle. Remove screw t20

remove small Phillips screw upper aft part of the panel

remove screw in upper middle of door. It's in the handle t27?

remove plastic cover and remove screw torx in middle of the door

pry off door slowly / carefully with trim removal tool, lift off

remove door handle from panel and feed through the opening. I tried to do the entire thing with the door panel still connected - not worth it.

take a photo or remember.. and disconnect all electrical connections

two screws hold in the door actuator. Note position of actuator. Remove screws. It is located half way up on the aft portion of the door. White circle plastic piece connects to a wire hook. One of the screws is basically in the black goo

Remove plastic cover partially from door starting on the aft side. sticky black goo seals it to the door. It will reattach it as well. Try not to touch it as it gets everywhere.

cut a horizontal line in the plastic about halfway down the door, aft to forward. This will reveal where the actuator plugs in. It is secured with a zip tie. Cut zip tie and remove. The cord is also secured with a couple of zip ties. Note orientation and remove.

it's a little tricky to get the actuator out. The top white part rotates and will need to be rotated to remove from the wire hook portion.

install new actuator in same orientation. Again it's a little tricky to get it on the wire hook. Secure with two Phillips screws.

plug in actuator and secure with zip tie. Secure cable in the same way with zip ties.

Resecure plastic as it was with the black goo.

Re connect all the wires to the door panel and feed through the door latch, clicks into place.

put door back on and screw on lock knob.

install the remaining hardware and covers to reinstall the door panel.

took me about 90 minutes. But I think next time it will be about half that.