G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

new (to me) 1996 G320 and new to your forum.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB 1996 G 320
new (to me) 1996 G320 and new to your forum.

Hello All,
I recently purchased a 1996 G320 that is tagged as an AMG from Japan. It's left hand drive which I find strange, but stickers under the hood and the owners manual are in japanese. Any how, I'm new to G wagons and I got some questions.
It has the 4 speed auto trans. Being more familiar with manuals and american transmissions I assumed the 4th gear was an overdrive. Near as I can figure 4th gear is 1:1, so not an OD. I am not super comfortable turning 3500 rpm to do 70 MPH on the freeway, and 70 mph is right lane speeds anymore. strangely it didn't feel like it was woking real hard at 3500 rpm. I don't know what my tire diameter is off hand nor do I know what the gearing is. Is there an overdrive transmission that will work in this application? I'm hesitant to re gear it as I feel like I might lose a lot on the low end if I gear up. Or maybe an after market overdrive kit along the lines of a Gear Vendor unit or Atlas? I put an Atlas in a one ton chevy diesel with 4:56 gears and it worked like a champ dropping rpm's.
Second concern is my key situation is jacked. It came with two key fobs, neither work, and one key. the drivers side door handle has no key hole, I suspect it has been replaced with a rear door handle. The central locking system seems to hinge on manually locking/unlocking the driver side door, which I can't do, Consequently I can't lock the rig up. I called Mercedes about re-keying it and was told it was against Mercedes policy to re-key gray market cars. Anybody have a work around for this? Other than all that I am really enjoying it so far. Got some clear coat issues to clean up and the wheels need to be refinished and I think it will be a pretty sharp rig. Thanks in advance for any and all comment, insights, suggestions, help. Hell, I even appreciate constructive criticism.