G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Rear Tailgate door light sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 G55
Rear Tailgate door light sensor

I was wondering if there is some type of door sensor for the rear tailgate? I took apart the panel and didn't see any.

Right now, when I unlock the truck and open the rear tailgate, it auto locks itself back while the door is open. Doesn't do that for the front 4 doors.

The light also doesn't turn on in the rear. I can turn it on manually when I'm in the car through the sunroof control panel, but that's about it.

Is there a way for the light to turn on when the door opens, and doesn't auto lock the doors?
Old 11-14-2023, 08:59 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 AMG G55
You might want to post your year and model or add it to your signature...

Not sure about the door locking but there should be a 3-way switch on either side of the top. I discovered how mine worked when changing to LED bulbs to brighten up the area at night when needed. Both of mine have 3-way switches... On with door open - OFF - On with switch only. Keeping the switch in the center and they will never light. Move both one way and they will both light with door open.... Move both the other way and they will both light and STAY ON!
Old 11-16-2023, 06:39 PM

2010 G55
Originally Posted by Tricky Rick
You might want to post your year and model or add it to your signature...

Not sure about the door locking but there should be a 3-way switch on either side of the top. I discovered how mine worked when changing to LED bulbs to brighten up the area at night when needed. Both of mine have 3-way switches... On with door open - OFF - On with switch only. Keeping the switch in the center and they will never light. Move both one way and they will both light with door open.... Move both the other way and they will both light and STAY ON!

Sorry about that. I have a 2010 G55.

I tried a few things today. When I put the button in the middle, and open the front doors, only the front lights turn on. When I open the rear doors, only the rear lights turn on. I guess that's a good thing. I'm just used to all lights turning on when you open any door. When I open the rear tailgate, nothing turns on.

When i push the button to the left, with doors open or closed, both front and rear lights turn on (not tailgate lights).

When I push the button to the right, nothing turns on no matter what you do.

I have an additional button on the top just for the tailgate light. But it only turns on when the ignition is on. If Ignition is off, the tailgate button does nothing.

No matter what option I choose or do, the tailgate light doesn't turn on when the tailgate door is open.
Old 11-20-2023, 12:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 G63 AMG, 2019 G550
Mine has done that and unfortunately I haven't found out what was wrong with it.
Old 11-20-2023, 04:21 PM

2003 AMG G55
You ARE aware that there is a sensor for darkness, yes? I was really thrown for a loop when I couldn't make things work... Like my dome light coming on. Until I tried it at night. Seems the G55 is smart enough to realize when it is needed. Try all your testing when it is dark outside!
Old 11-20-2023, 04:48 PM

2010 G55
Originally Posted by Tricky Rick
You ARE aware that there is a sensor for darkness, yes? I was really thrown for a loop when I couldn't make things work... Like my dome light coming on. Until I tried it at night. Seems the G55 is smart enough to realize when it is needed. Try all your testing when it is dark outside!
Thanks.. I realized that when none of the lights turned on during the day. But when I tested it at night, front door lights turned on when front doors were open. Rear door lights turned on when rear doors were open, but tailgate still doesn't turn on when dark unless manually pressed. Just trying to see if there are any other sensors. I opened up the tailgate, and didn't really see anything (unless it's part of the latch)? My doors also auto lock after a min or 2 only if I open the tailgate only. If I open any other door, it will not auto lock.
Old 11-20-2023, 05:42 PM

2003 AMG G55
Hmmmmm... I just tried mine... Same thing. Driver's door just turns on main front light. Back doors turn on mini lights in ceiling and rear door (on mine) is set to FLOODLIGHT as I put in LEDs in the back. It's about 3-4 times the brightness as regular bulbs.