G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Guidance with purchase - possible Frankenstein 1990 G300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK350
Guidance with purchase - possible Frankenstein 1990 G300

Hi All, this is my first post. I found what may be a cool 1990 G300 project. I have many questions. If this one doesn't work out I want another one. Thank you.

If I have done something wrong in my posting format or location please let me know and I will correct it immediately. I can URL the full library of photos as I have a lot and I will upload a video of the idle. A few photos will be attached here.

I drive a CLK350 convertible as a summer car and I love it. Recently I was going to buy a 03 Jeep Rubicon but then I fell in love with these old G300s it's like a Mercedes Jeep to me, it is so beautiful.

I found an imported one from Germany and I became really excited, it's a 1990 3.0 i6 diesel, 5speed, 2dr. I reviewed the title and it's been registered in the US and driven in the US legally. That is great I was scared it was 'gray market'. Well I looked at it and it's great but maybe awful? I realized I don't know anything about these and there is not a ton of information on stock ones. I am looking at this purchase as in I want to own a stock 1990era G300 diesel (what is the correct alphanumeric code for this truck?) it has 73k kilometers on it and it was imported from Germany, ~45k miles. I would like to own it as also a summer weekend car. I understand they are slow, it is for around town and I like them a lot. I like the diesel engine too and the minimal electronic interior components. It's really fun to me.

I have recreational experience working on gas, petrol, engines and euro cars like BMWs. Trucks like old dodges. A few marine boat engines. But I don't have diesel experience or 1990 G300 experience. The frame on this truck is perfect I am sure of that. The engine and transmission run well. The engine sounded like it had a small knock at first but as it warmed up it sounded smooth. It drove fine, the gears shifted through well.

The 40k mile exterior does not match the blown up interior. I understand it is a 35 year old car I am okay with working on it. It needs work in the engine bay but I'm confident that's workable. Maybe I don't understand what a 35 year old interior looks like.

I have plenty of pictures.

Pros:
  • There is no rust anywhere, there is dried dust and dirt underneath and it is pretty much mint for a 35 year old car, it has a 40k mile undercarriage
  • I feel like it was just used as a work truck for some time by it's original owner and someone found it and did a slightly amateur restoration, this checks to me because the vin said it was back seatless
  • Everything appears to be there
  • Everything on the interior appears to function
  • There are new factory marked windows and seals and it was done well
  • It was repainted, maybe a 7/10 paint job, there are runs on the rear corners
  • The body itself also appears solid
  • The frame is a 10/10
  • The engine appears to be 7/10
  • Tranny appears to be fine
  • I hear it is bulletproof by many local people who are enthusiasts
  • It's close to me

Cons:
  • The water pump looks like it's leaking, do these notoriously leak here? Is it difficult to fix?
  • The manifolds are painted. Might be a weird con but who does that, there is no need to do that, that freaks me out.
  • It was painted
  • It looks like it has a newer generation side skirt on it
  • Looks like it has aftermarket front and rear bumps and light covers
  • The interior is destroyed for a 40k mile truck
  • Roof is sagging in the rear
  • Fading inside the dash cluster with 40k miles? Is that a thing?
  • I don't know if the seats are stained or if there is a water leak as I'm guessing at they're wet
  • All of the wood paneling is spider cracked and falling off
  • AC knob is missing, panel is chipped, panels don't align
  • There are screw holes in the dash.
  • There are screws in the doors holding the pockets on the panel
  • The handles are coming out of the panels at the top
  • All of the vents besides the centers jiggle
  • The seat's plastics by the levers are all broken
  • There are what look like dog claw marks on the rear interior walls, or tool marks if it was a work truck
  • I don't want to do an engine swap I like the stock diesel slow dog engine
  • The VIN decoder does not appear to work. WDB46332717070600
Questions:
  1. Is an interior on this car fixable?
  2. Is the roof enough to walk away?
  3. Do they leak notoriously?
  4. How do I read VINs for these cars?
    1. Is there a reputable site or catalogue to read it
  5. Can I get some opinions on the inconsistent engine sounds?
  6. Can I purchase parts for this?
  7. Do I need a donor vehicle?
  8. Should I walk away and not insult him?
My two scariest items are the interior and the water pump leak.
I feel like the interior is 12k to fix.

He put a backseat in it, I don't care that it doesn't match, to be transparent. IF this truck had none of the 2 problems, I'd probably just buy it and call it a day.

The engine, frame, and body are nice and rust free. I don't mind doing work, but only if it's possible.
I think I can buy it at a discount, what would anyone begin to offer for this?

I can't see myself offering more than 22k based on how bad the interior is.

I don't know much about any "g" model Mercedes new or old so apologies if I am naive at all.

Full Imgur album here with 46 photos.

I will include pictures here and if it is allowed I will do a full album via an external link like imgur.

• Decking screws in the door

Last edited by Catamaran; 03-23-2024 at 08:36 PM. Reason: imgur album