G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Wet Under Glovebox, Floor Dry: AC Related?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2024, 02:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 S450 4Matic, 2015 G550
Wet Under Glovebox, Floor Dry: AC Related?

Hello everyone,

I just completed a 10-hour round trip in my 2015 G550. During the last 3 hours, I drove through a huge rainstorm. My wife, who was sitting on the passenger side, noticed that the carpeted area below the glove box was wet when she put her foot against it. I stopped at a gas station to inspect it. The wet area was closer to the console rather than the door side. The door side, floor carpet, and everywhere else were dry, including the driver's side. It was extremely humid and foggy the whole trip, and I had the AC on the entire time.

Here are a few questions I have:
  1. Could the wet area be AC-related, and I just happened to notice it during the rainstorm?
  2. If it is rainstorm-related, where should I check first? The windshield is original and has never been replaced. I don’t have the little antenna above the windshield, and the door seals seem okay since the floor is dry. I’ve been to car washes many times without noticing leaks. The wet area is about the size of a palm, under the glove box next to one of the footwell vents, and it's not soaking wet, but definitely damp.
  3. Could it be due to the AC running for 5 hours straight in 95-100% humidity? Could the air box have so much condensation that it seeped out? There’s a lot of water dripping under the car when the AC is on, so I believe the AC drains are working fine.
Thanks in advance for any input!

Mike