G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Winter Driving with Lane Keeping Assist (LKA)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
Winter Driving with Lane Keeping Assist (LKA)

Now that winter is well underway, has anyone experienced an LKA event on a road with patchy ice or snow?
Old 01-24-2021, 10:04 PM

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
2021 G550, BMW X5M, 2020 Toyota Supra LE
Originally Posted by streborx
Now that winter is well underway, has anyone experienced an LKA event on a road with patchy ice or snow?
Yes, I had a 1000 mile drive from the dealership back to my house last weekend when I took delivery. (Drove from eastern WI to western ND).

Although I found the LKA annoying, it was not as dangerous as other poster’s have stated. However, on a snow covered road it is dangerous and I deactivated during those times.

As you know, you kind of have swerve the car back after the LKA activates, on snow and ice covered roads it is not good.

(On dry roads you just appear to be a driver who fell asleep, woke up from hitting a rumble strip, and overcorrected the car...which may look bad, but it isn’t nearly as dangerous as performing that maneuver in snow.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by 084runnerltd
Yes, I had a 1000 mile drive from the dealership back to my house last weekend when I took delivery. (Drove from eastern WI to western ND).

Although I found the LKA annoying, it was not as dangerous as other poster’s have stated. However, on a snow covered road it is dangerous and I deactivated during those times.

As you know, you kind of have swerve the car back after the LKA activates, on snow and ice covered roads it is not good.

(On dry roads you just appear to be a driver who fell asleep, woke up from hitting a rumble strip, and overcorrected the car...which may look bad, but it isn’t nearly as dangerous as performing that maneuver in snow.
i agree with this that its not 'dangerous' on dry roads....its more annoying than anything else.
i have a habit of turning it off everytime i get into the car now.
The following users liked this post:
084runnerltd (01-25-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
MB is spending $billions on self driving technology that includes driver assistance "safety features" such as LKA. Meanwhile it employs another group of engineers to design a proprietary windshield wiper attachment mechanism so that replacement wipers are available only from a MB dealership. This is where LKA becomes necessary since you can't see out the windscreen while driving across town to get there.
The following users liked this post:
nels0360 (01-27-2021)