G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Obsidian Black or Platinum Metallic Black COLOR ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 03:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW Z4 2020
Exclamation Obsidian Black or Platinum Metallic Black COLOR ?

Im unable to see a difference between Obsidian Black and Platinum Metallic Black COLOR on the internet.
Now, the thing is, Obsidian Black is included in the car price and it looks fine, but if I order it now, it will arrive in 7 months.

So, the dealer has an option for Platinum Metallic Black COLOR config car which is coming next month and it costs extra 5000$.

So, it the Gmanufackurer Platinum Metallic Black paint worth the extra 5000$ ?
If yes, then I can simply go ahead and choose this and get the car next month delivered to me.

Let me know, if someone has seen both colors in naked eyes and if they really are any different or not.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:54 AM

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts
G63, G65
I'm not 100% sure on those two colors, but I can tell you that there are actually some differences in MB black paints. Obsidian black will likely have little to no metallic in it, and it will look like most black G Wagons that are out there. The Platinum Metallic will have metal flake (as the name implies), and in the sun it will "pop" more. We had the metallic black on our G65 (can't recall exactly what they called the paint color), and it looked REALLY good. Most people might not be able to tell much difference, but I can tell you it looks really nice. If you don't typically notice those kinds of subtle differences then save $5K and get the Obsidian black. Or, pay the $5K and get the truck 6 months earlier. I bet that's what most people on here would do!