G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

New infotainment controller for 2022?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 11:04 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
N/A
New infotainment controller for 2022?

Follow the hashtag #w463a on Instagram, and this post came up today.

It appears to show a new controller for the G-class. The part does look like it would fit where the current COMAND controller is and appears similar to some other cars that got MBUX in a facelift (eg. 2020 GLC). Of course, no idea if it’s real or not, but thought it was interesting to share:

View this post on Instagram

Last edited by achatgrau; 03-02-2021 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:18 AM

Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
mclaren 720s
Originally Posted by achatgrau
Follow the hashtag #w463a on Instagram, and this post came up today.

It appears to show a new controller for the G-class. The part does look like it would fit where the current COMAND controller is and appears similar to some other cars that got MBUX in a facelift (eg. 2020 GLC). Of course, no idea if it’s real or not, but thought it was interesting to share:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL6q2tKAAWB/
this doesnt look like its meant for the G. the entire console of the G would need to be redesigned which i doubt will happen. the infotainment screen needs to be longer and shorter to fit with the G ergonomics... interesting but nah. also not sure for a 22 anyway. also i many be in the minority but i could care less about MBUX. My g63 system is fine, better than my prior RR and i happen to think MBUX is more gimmicky. IMHO it would never sway my buying decision and i am not sure this generation model would get MBUX anytime soon.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
N/A
Can’t say MBUX has any certain appeal for me, either, but I do think it all fits in a facelift without a massive redesign. GLC is a good example: slightly larger screen (but it was floating, so easy to accomplish), kept the same HVAC controls, and the COMAND controller was swapped for an MBUX touchpad in the same spot with the same dimensions. Touchscreen / ergo does feel like a bit of a nightmare, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see an update to MBUX before a larger refresh to My MBUX (or whatever comes after that).
Old 03-04-2021, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They should probably skip MBUX altogether and just go straight to My MBUX. Which would involve moving the vents/differential switches up to the top of the dashboard and leaving the entire center and console for the screen. However, a part of me feels a G operated with too much software and touch screens defeats the spirit of the truck.